if it is a wireless mouse, it could be bad batteries, faulty wireless signal, or something interfering with the signal. Did you reently add anything to the room your computer is in, or put the computer into a room, something else that has wireless technology, such as a cordless phone, router, remote control car, etc?
Could also be malware so it wouldnt hurt to do a good virus scan with a good anti-virus program.
Thanks for all the advice! I have a laptop mouse pad. It went from cursor jumping to not working at all and then the laptop shut down. All seems to be fine now though. I think the problem is I keep so many tabs open and I overload the laptop, so a shut down was needed. I tend to just hibernate usually.