Daily Bible Blessing

DBB-116

"Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?" (John 6:9)

When Jesus saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat? Philip answered him, "Eight months' wages would not buy enough bread for each one to have a bite!" Andrew, another disciple of Jesus, spoke up and said what we read in the verse quoted above. A great crowd and only 5 small barley loaves and 2 small fish.

The disciples had been with Jesus for almost an year now and they had seen their Teacher do many miracles. They were eye witnesses, but could not yet comprehend the magnitude of the power that their Teacher had. They were learning and their Teacher was teaching them much. No doubt, sometimes the astounding reality or enormity of the problems they encountered, found them wanting in faith, which Jesus described as "little faith."

Philip calculated and said it was pointless, Andrew searched and found a little but thought it was no good.
Five small barley loaves and two small fish........Jesus saw it differently. There would be enough for all and leftovers too.
He took the food, gave thanks and asked his disciples to distribute it to all the people who had gathered; 5000 men and there were women and children too. They all had their fill and 12 baskets of pieces of the barley loaves were gathered.

What we see as trivial or small can be worked upon by our Savior Jesus and there would be abundance.
He is Almighty God; we must believe that he can do great things though our finite minds cannot often imagine it.
Let's trust and abide in his promise which says,
"Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" (John 11:40)

DBB-117

The Lord said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey - the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. (Exodus 3:7, 8)

If we read the above verses carefully, we can realize the many acts of God Almighty regarding his people, the Israelites; the key words being- seen, heard, concerned, come down, rescue and bring them up....To summarize...God saw the misery of his people, God heard them crying out, God was concerned about their suffering, God had come down to rescue them and God wanted to bless them after taking them away from their oppressors.
It's all in those 2 verses.

Sometimes doubts may arise when we go through trials as to whether God cares. Does God see? Does God hear? Is he concerned? Will he come down to rescue? Will a blessing result from this anyway?
STOP RIGHT THERE IF YOU ARE FILLED WITH SUCH DOUBTS...Read the above passage once again. God did care about his people. The eventual result was the deliverance of hundreds of thousands of men and women and children from Egyptian bondage.

Remember, the Lord is mighty to save. He sees the problems that you face, he hears your cries, he is concerned about you, he will rescue you and bless you, like only he can. So...
Praise the Lord.

DBB-118

"Therefore the Lord, the God of Israel, declares: 'I promised that your house and your father's house would minister before me forever.' But now the Lord declares: 'Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained. (1 Samuel 2:30)

This was what Eli the priest, had to hear through a man of God. Eli's problem was that he honored his sons more than God; that's what we read in v.29 of the same chapter. The priesthood had come to Eli. He was chosen. And because he was chosen by God, he expected Eli to honor him more than he honored others.
The question that arises thus is, "Do we honor God more than we honor others?" Because God says, "Those who honor me I will honor." Honoring others, be it family or friends, more than God, usually brings problems to lives of believers.

The Apostle Peter writes,
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. (1 Peter 2:9, 10)

And those who are chosen, must not be yoked together with unbelievers.

The Apostle Paul writes to the Corinthians,
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial ? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?
What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people." "Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you." "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)

Jesus said, "God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)

Remember that if you are in Christ, you are chosen. Declare his praises, do not be yoked together with unbelievers, come out from them and be separate, worship God in spirit and in truth. If you honor God, he will honor you.

DBB-119

Once more a remnant of the kingdom of Judah will take root below and bear fruit above. (2 Kings 19:30)
How important it is to take root below so that one may bear fruit above. For a believer in Jesus Christ, it is of paramount importance that one delves deep into the Word of God and takes root firmly, so that the fruit bearing starts. The more one lives out the Word, the more the fruit bearing.

In Psalm 80, the Psalmist sings of 'taking root' and bearing fruit regarding the Israelite's whom God had redeemed from Egyptian bondage.
You brought a vine out of Egypt; you drove out the nations and planted it.You cleared the ground for it, and it took root and filled the land.The mountains were covered with its shade, the mighty cedars with its branches. It sent out its boughs to the Sea, its shoots as far as the River.(Psalm 80:8-11)

But then Israel rebelled and their downfall ensued....the Psalmist lamented thus...
Why have you broken down its walls so that all who pass by pick its grapes? Boars from the forest ravage it and the creatures of the field feed on it. (Psalm 80:12, 13)

And then the prayer for restoration....
Return to us, O God Almighty! Look down from heaven and see! Watch over this vine, the root your right hand has planted, the son you have raised up for yourself. (Psalm 80:14, 15)

The prophet Isaiah prophesies,
In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and fill all the world with fruit. (Isaiah 27:6)

And this is what God expects of each of us as believers in Jesus Christ....To take root, bud, blossom and bear abundant good fruit. May the Holy Spirit of God work in each of us to fulfill this.

DBB-120

For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm. (Psalm 33:9)

A single affirmative word from the Lord is all you need for your problem to be solved or your request to be granted. So what's the delay? you may ask. I have asked that many times myself, but you see, God is a perfectionist or to be more precise "The Perfectionist" and he does everything, including answering mine and your request at his perfect time. So what's he upto when I have been praying all this while may be the next question. To this, Jesus answers, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working." (John 5:17)"
Well, that seems to be a very dicey situation, 'cause I don't see anything.

Hmmm...Watch closely, he's at work. All that straining at the oars of prayer and your boat is heading towards the desired destination of deliverance. If you stop now, you'll be stranded in the midst of the river, seeing nothing but swirling waters around you.
How about settling for something less? Abraham (Genesis 17) had similar thoughts. But God had already taken up his lamentation issue of not having a child of his own and he was not quitting now and he wouldn't let Abraham quit too. You see, when your issue has been taken up by your Lord, he doesn't back out even if you want to and he won't let you back out too. Perhaps you have toned down your prayers that once were fervent. Better change gears and accelerate your pleadings with thanksgiving. The deliverance may be just around the corner.

God loves you and he is always willing to answer your righteous requests through Jesus Christ.
He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all; how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? (Romans 8:32)

DBB-121

Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself. (2 Timothy 2:11-13)

Moses did it himself. David got it done through someone else. We are talking of nothing else but murder. They did it after knowing God intimately (David especially) and they had to pay the price for it. Both went through a period of spiritual wilderness experience. But the thing that perplexes many is that God still used them for his purposes. Now that's something great. But God 's love is so amazing; none can truly fathom it's dimensions. And so these two could again do great things for God. God uses many for the building of his kingdom, but sometimes the chosen ones make light of these blessings and act as if they could do anything and everything and then they fail. Overconfidence was the undoing of Joshua too; he gained a great victory at Jericho, but failed in the conquest of Ai, a smaller target compared to Jericho. He failed because there was sin in his camp. Sin brings failure, but failure is not final and rooting out sin can again make God's face shine upon the chosen one. So Joshua conquered Ai after sin was rooted out of his camp. The wilderness experience is tough, but God does not leave nor forsake according to his everlasting promise and his showers of mercy can be felt in the wilderness too, though they may be sparse. Just an indication from him that he has not abandoned.

A few verses to remember in this context.....
In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work. (2 Timothy 2:20, 21)
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. (2 Corinthians 2:14)

Much to learn for all those who are chosen to carry on the work that Jesus started. Best to look to the Master at all times and follow in his footsteps.

DBB-122

The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” So Abram left, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Haran. (Genesis 12:1-4)

These verses show the obedience of Abraham. He was called Abram (exalted father) at first and then God changed his name to Abraham (father of many nations). When God told him to leave his country, his people and his father’s household, and go to the land that He would show him, Abraham was obedient and set out with faith. And when God called him, God gave him many promises and these promises were fulfilled in his life and the generations that came after him. If God calls you to be a part of his kingdom, he has a specific purpose in mind and he will bless you if you are obedient to Him.

The writer of the book of Hebrews says,
By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. (Hebrews 11:8-10)

Abraham was 75 years old when God called him and he did not hesitate to obey the Lord. This day, I want to exhort you to be obedient to the Lord. He will fulfill the promise/promises that He makes/has made to you. He will not only bless you, but also your family. Be obedient to the Lord and allow him to fulfill whatever he desires through you for his kingdom.

DBB-123

He was a teacher well versed in the Law of Moses, which the Lord, the God of Israel, had given. The king had granted him everything he asked, for the hand of the Lord his God was on him. (Ezra 7:6)

One of the special things about this man, Ezra, we read in Ezra 7:10..... For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel.

Something that every child of God should do is devoting themselves to the study and observance of God’s word. Not only studying and doing the things that are written in the Word of God are important, but, we, as we gain adequate knowledge, must also teach others who are new to the faith, what we have learnt. God expects that from each of us. Of course, in the initial stages of our life as believers, we may not be able to do it, but as we grow in the faith, and as we devote ourselves to the study and meditation of the Word of God, we can start teaching receptive hearts, what God requires them of their lives.
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations" was what Jesus told his disciples, and they went out, to different parts of the world and that’s how countless people came to know that Jesus Christ is Saviour of the world and that salvation can be received by believing in his atoning sacrifice on the cross. Ezra devoted himself to the study of the law of the Lord. We must ask ourselves how much time we meditate on the Word of God because that’s very important in our life as a believer. The psalmist says, "I have hidden your teachings in my heart."
In Psalm 1, we also read of the blessedness of a person who continually meditates on the Word of God.....
He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. (Psalm 1:3)
Have you been ignoring reading the Word and meditating on it? Take a decision this day to devote quality time to the study of the Word of God. Obey what the Word says, and as you mature in the Word, make it your duty to teach others also the same.

Regarding Ezra, the Bible says, "the hand of the Lord his God was on him.....so will it be in your life too, if you delight in God's Word, obey it and also teach others the same.

DBB-124

Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; have mercy on me and hear my prayer. (Psalm 4 : 1)

David the psalmist, cries out to the Lord for deliverance from them who hate him; from them who want to turn his glory into shame. He cries out to God and tells Him that he needs an answer. He calls out to his righteous God and prays, “Give me relief from my distress, be merciful to me and hear my prayer.”

Our God is a prayer answering God and He is the one who brings relief in all our distresses. Every believer should, without fail, pray to the Lord, worship Him and meditate on His word, each day. This should be something we should never forget or ignore. If you seek deliverance, if you want a healing, if you want to feel God’s presence in your life continually, call out to him, cry to him for mercy and he will hear. Seek his face. He is a rewarder of those who seek him diligently. Find a time period in your daily schedule where you can spend quality quiet time with the Lord. For some it may be the early mornings, for some as they retire after a day's work. Of course we can pray and call out to him at any time of the day or night. And we can pray at all times, wherever we are; whether we are at home, whether we are at our workplace, or while traveling, We can pray and approach the throne of grace with confidence.

The Apostle Paul once said, "The Lord has delivered us from many perils, and He will deliver us again." Has not God answered your prayers in the past? He will do it again. Call out to him. He is a merciful God, a compassionate God; he will surely answer your prayers. Spend time in prayer, spend time in worship and spend time in meditation of the word and the Lord will bless you abundantly.

David was in several perilous situations and his righteous God delivered him. He is your righteous God too. He will give you relief from your distresses too. Praise his holy name.

DBB-125

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6,7)

There are many situations that bring anxiety into our lives, but Paul exhorts the believers in Philippi and also us, by saying......."in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made to God."
Every time we sit in the presence of the Lord, we can think about all the things (situations, problems, difficulties) that bring anxiety in to our hearts, and we can present all these in the presence of God, with prayer, petition and thanksgiving. And what happens when we do that?...The Apostle continues by writing........And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7)

In the Old Testament of the Bible, we read of a wonderful promise God gave his children....
Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you. (Isaiah 54:10)

God has established a covenant of peace with you if you have accepted the gift of salvation that he has provided through his son Jesus Christ. His love for you is unfailing and his covenant of peace will never be removed from you because he is an unchanging God.

The Psalmist sang, "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. (Psalm 94:19)"

If you are distressed or anxious about any matter this day, remember that God's unfailing love and his covenant of peace will sustain you and bring consolation to your soul.

So......Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:7)

DBB-126

You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. (Psalm 32:7)
In several Psalms, David, the psalmist, affirms that God is his hiding place and that God hides him from the enemy. He, for one, knew that unless God protected him, all other protection was of little or no use. He was hunted by his enemies often and sought God as his hiding place.

In Psalm 17, he prays for protection in this manner.....
Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings (v.8)
God is Almighty. He is able to protect his children at all times from all the attacks of the evil one. In the prophecy of Daniel, we read of how God closed the mouth of lions and protected his servant Daniel when he was thrown into a den of lions (Daniel Ch.6). Daniel testified...
My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, O king." (Daniel 6:22)
God also protected the 3 Hebrew youths who were thrown in to the fiery furnace by King Nebuchadnezzar because they defied his orders of worshipping his idol (Daniel Ch.3). The king who had ordered that they be thrown in to the fiery furnace later testified....
"Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied the king's command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God. (Daniel 3:28)

God has not changed. He will deliver you from the attacks of the enemy by sending his angel.
Confess aloud what the Psalmist said when confronted by troubles innumerable and gain victory over your situation this day...
For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.(Psalm 27:5)

Yes...God will keep you safe in his dwelling, he will hide you in the shelter of his tabernacle and set you high upon a rock.

DBB-127

O Lord my God, I take refuge in you; save and deliver me from all who pursue me, or they will tear me like a lion and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me. (Psalm 7:1, 2)

Ever seen a lion rip its prey to pieces? David, once a shepherd, knew all too well what a lion could do to it's prey and he sees himself in such a helpless situation and cries out for deliverance to the Lord. The title of the Psalm reads....of David, which he sang to the Lord concerning Cush, a Benjamite. Cush was one of the many many enemies that David had but not much details are found in the Word of God regarding this enemy of his. That he was a formidable enemy is for sure, because David compares him to a dangerous lion that was out to tear him apart.

David prays several prayers in this Psalm.....

..Save and deliver me (v.1)

..Arise, O Lord, in your anger; rise up against the rage of my enemies. Awake, my God; decree justice. (v.6)

..Rule over your people from on high (v.7)

..Bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure. (v.9)

He then sings how God is going to deal with his enemies.....their defeat and utter destruction being the eventuality......and ends the Psalm on a high note by singing......I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High. (Psalm 7:17)

Child of God, if you are being pursued by the enemy, who, you think, will tear you and rip you to pieces, trust in Almighty God, like David did and he will save and deliver you. Nothing is impossible for God. However strong the enemy be, God is stronger and he is able to deliver like no one can.

Remember...The Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one. (2 Thessalonians 3:3)

DBB-128

Joshua 24:17 NIV
It was the Lord our God himself who brought us and our parents up out of Egypt, from that land of slavery, and performed those great signs before our eyes. He protected us on our entire journey and among all the nations through which we traveled.

The antivirus that I use on my android mobile usually says, "You are fully protected." Great to hear that, but there may be viruses or other infections that it may fail to detect or control.

In the above verses that we read from the book of Joshua, the Israelites acknowledge the full protection that God Almighty provided them in their entire wilderness journey from Egypt to Canaan. He did not fail them; no, not for a single moment. 40 years of journeying; he was there always for them. Even when they sinned, he did not utterly forsake them. He punished them for their sins, yet had compassion on them.

In your wilderness journey to the Heavenly Canaan, remember that Jesus is always there with you and for you, no matter what your circumstances are.

Trust in him; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

DBB-129

Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men. (Proverbs 22:29)

The task that you think is difficult maybe easy after all. Just a few steps of learning and there you are. Another skill will be added to your life. But if you do not try or take a single step you become a failure. Failures are not them who try and fail, but them who fail to even try. David was willing to learn and he was transformed from shepherd to shepherd king. It took a while and several heartbreaks, but succeed he did.

Once he felled a giant with a sling and a stone, but then he learned to fight and war with sword and shield and he was victorious then too. For a Christian believer, the Holy Spirit is a good teacher; he not only teaches us the ways of God, but he is there as Counselor to guide us in our daily tasks too. God who sent his Spirit on men in the Old Testament to fight and win wars also anointed men then with special skills to achieve other purposes, like we read in the book of Exodus......Then the LORD said to Moses, "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts - to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of craftsmanship. (Exodus 31:1-5)

God can empower you with the Holy Spirit in the daily work or job that you do. Do you think you are a failure when it comes to your job or the work that you do? Pray to the Father in heaven to pour out his Holy Spirit on you. He gives to them who ask. The Holy Spirit of God can empower you like no one else can. As you give yourself in the Spirit's hands, he will do great things through you. You will be a changed person. No more a failure, but a success. And the glory will be God's.

If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Matthew 7:11)

DBB-130

But I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God's unfailing love for ever and ever. (Psalm 52:8)

With over a 100 benefits documented in literature regarding the olive, it's no surprise that David, the Psalmist here, compares himself to an olive tree. "The Sisters Olive Trees of Noah" located in Lebanon is said to be the world's oldest living olive tree, around 6000-8000 years old and the average life expectancy of an olive tree is 300-500 years. The olive tree thus serves it's innumerable beneficiaries quite well and similarly David too in his lifetime was one who was a blessing to many. Not only during his earthly life, but even after his death, through the many psalms that he sang and which are placed in the Word of God, he still serves and enriches believers through several generations in many ways. One can identify with the many problems that he faced and find comfort from the fact that, the God who saved and delivered David can do the same in other lives too.

David, the shepherd king of Israel, was indeed like a flourishing olive tree because he trusted in God's unfailing love. His fruitfulness is evident and we must ask ourselves how fruitful we are and how our fruitfulness benefits others.
God chose us to bear fruit and he expects the fruit that we bear to have lasting effects.
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit; fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. (John 15:16)

How wonderful it is that Jesus gives us a promise and a blessing for bearing fruit that will last.....Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.

Lasting fruit can be borne by a believer only by abiding or remaining in Jesus. He says,
"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

So then, let's abide continually in Jesus, dear brothers and sisters, so that we bear much fruit and fruit that is lasting, for that will bring glory to our Father in heaven and he, according to Jesus' promise (John 15:16) will answer our prayers.

DBB-131

So the people took their dough before it was leavened, having their kneading bowls bound up in their clothes on their shoulders. And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they had brought out of Egypt; for it was not leavened, because they were driven out of Egypt and could not wait, nor had they prepared provisions for themselves. (Exodus 12:34, 39)

Must have been quite a sight; some of them carrying their kneading bowls bound up in their clothes on their shoulders. And the first stop to bake unleavened cakes must have been exciting. The excitement of freedom coupled with that must have been exhilarating.

None of them knew then that this was going to be a long journey; one that would last 40 years. Some of them must have dreamed of settling soon in the land flowing with milk and honey, but it was not to be so easy or so near.

Hunger was one thing that the Israelite's could not cope with in their wilderness journey and often they grumbled about it on their long trek. Another thing that equally troubled them was thirst and a lack of water.

Regarding this, Moses, who lead them had this to say before they entered the promised land.

So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord. (Deuteronomy 8:3)

Also.....who led you through that great and terrible wilderness, in which were fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty land where there was no water; who brought water for you out of the flinty rock; who fed you in the wilderness with manna, which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do you good in the end. (Deuteronomy 8:15, 16)

God allowed them to hunger and thirst...what for....to humble them....to test them...and finally.....to do good to them in the end.

The question that haunted many in their walk through the wilderness was whether God would provide. Provide he did, but their doubts persisted, so they grumbled and were punished for it.

We, as believers, can learn much from the way that the Israelite's responded to their needs in the wilderness and also how God dealt with them and their needs.

Moses had to bear the brunt of their verbal attacks and sometimes he grew weary. But God did not let him down when he cried out on their behalf. He responded with miracle after miracle, though sometimes he punished them for their arrogance and lack of faith.

You, as a child of God, must know that the Lord Jesus Christ who gave himself up on the cross for your sake will provide for you and your family in this wilderness journey of yours.
He promised,
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (Matthew 6:33)

Paul the Apostle, wrote to the believers in Philippi,
And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)

To the believers in Rome, he wrote,
He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? (Romans 8:32)

You must remember that,
God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. (1 Corinthians 1:9)

Trust in him; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

DBB-132

Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey - whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? (Romans 6:16)

The question "Have you ever been a slave?" might bring about a smirk from the rich and a quizzical look from, others not so rich. The Bible though, is emphatic, in saying that we were and are slaves and we have masters.

The Apostle Paul, writing to the Romans, explains how this happens to be. There are masters that we have all served and are serving. The masters here are sin and obedience. So now the question becomes easier to answer. Are we slaves to sin or to obedience?
Perhaps some of us were slaves to sin earlier but now have become slaves to obedience. There are others around us who are still slaves to sin. And there is a third category too. Them who are supposed to be slaves of obedience but are still serving as slaves to some sin that has caught hold of them.

The Apostle details what the ultimate results are of serving these 2 masters. Regarding being a slave to sin, he writes,
What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! (Romans 6:21)
If one is a slave to sin and does not repent and become a slave of obedience to the Word of God, his/her ultimate state is eternal death.

What about the one who is a slave to obedience? Paul writes thus,
But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. (Romans 6:17, 18)
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. (Romans 6:22)

The matter then is clear...
Slave to Sin....Without Repentance=Eternal Death
Slave to Obedience.....Slave to Righteousness.....Holiness=Eternal Life

What about you? Can you confidently say that you are a slave to obedience/righteousness?
If yes, the Bible calls you "blessed".....
But if you are still a slave to sin, God calls you to repent and become a slave of righteousness. Will you heed his call?
Remember,
.....the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

DBB-133

Because the Lord kept vigil that night to bring them out of Egypt, on this night all the Israelite's are to keep vigil to honor the Lord for the generations to come. (Exodus 12:42)

How wonderful to read that the Lord kept vigil for his children. The Lord stayed alert to guard them, watching carefully and protecting them.
Do you believe that God is keeping vigil over you and your family each day?
The Psalmist says,
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. (Psalm 34:7)
Do you fear the Lord? meaning "do you honor him and his Word and have you committed yourself to lead a holy life?
If yes, the Lord is keeping vigil over you.
Moses once exhorted the Israelites in their wilderness journey in this manner.....
For the LORD your God moves about in your camp to protect you and to deliver your enemies to you. Your camp must be holy, so that he will not see among you anything indecent and turn away from you. (Deuteronomy 23:14)

The faithfulness of God who delivered his people is evident in this testimony given by them..
It was the LORD our God himself who brought us and our fathers up out of Egypt, from that land of slavery, and performed those great signs before our eyes. He protected us on our entire journey and among all the nations through which we traveled.(Joshua 24:17)
Notice the words....He protected us on our entire journey.......

Wherever you are at this point in your journey to the Heavenly Canaan, as a child of God remember that God is keeping vigil over you and your family. You need to stay in close fellowship with him. He will speak to you with his still small voice as you meditate upon his Word and seek his face.
Pray and cover yourself, your family and all that God has given you with the blood of Jesus each day.

God is faithful. He will protect you on your entire journey.
For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. They will be protected forever ............. (Psalm 37:28)

Bible Blessing-134

Then the woman said to Elijah, "Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the Lord from your mouth is the truth." (1 Kings 17:24)

The woman in question here (1 Kings 17:8-24) had already experienced a great miracle in her life; yet she waited for another miracle to acknowledge the integrity of the prophet.
Elijah came to her home, sent by God, at a time when she thought that she was going to have her last meal and then die. The prophet prophesied blessings and they happened. When the land was gripped with famine, she and her son were provided for, miraculously by God. The promise prophesied by the prophet was this.....
"The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land." (1 Kings 17:14)
AND
The outcome of the promise, recorded in the Word of God, is this....
So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah.(1 Kings 17:15, 16)

Was not this miracle enough for her to believe that Elijah was a man of God?
Later her son died and God raised him from the dead when Elijah interceded for him; that was when she exclaimed that...
"Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the LORD from your mouth is the truth."

How many miracles does it take for one to believe?
Did not the food that she and her son ate during the famine inspire her to believe? No, it did not, because when her son died, she accused Elijah and said, "What do you have against me, man of God? Did you come to remind me of my sin and kill my son?" (1 Kings 17:18)
Perhaps she spoke from the bitterness of the tragedy, yet there seemed to be ingratitude inside of her towards the prophet.
God loves a grateful heart.

We must meditate on the miracles God has already done for us, be grateful to God for them and God will bless us again.
God is good and his promise is that he will never leave us nor forsake us, if we have trusted in Jesus Christ's sacrificial work on the cross and are living a life obeying the Word of God.
Also, we must learn to respect them who pray and intercede for us.
As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight. (Psalm 16:3)

Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God..................... (1 Peter 2:17)

DBB-135

Go and tell Hezekiah, 'This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will add fifteen years to your life. (Isaiah 38:5)

Hezekiah, king of Judah, became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah went to him and said, "This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover."

What does one do when dire tidings such as this comes? The verdict was given. No, it was not from the doctors, but from the Most High. Who could or what could challenge it?
Yet, Hezekiah made one last and desperate plea to the one who controlled all.

The Bible says,
Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, "Remember, O Lord, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." And Hezekiah wept bitterly.(Isaiah 38:2, 3)

God heard and he saw, and he changed his decision. He decided that the prayers and tears were worth another 15 years of productive life. Praise the Lord.
The Lord sent Isaiah the prophet back to the king to give him a brand new prophecy.
He would live...15 more years.
The equation looks wonderful..
Prayers heard+Tears seen=15 years of life.

The prescription for his illness also came from the prophet, as given from heaven...
Isaiah had said, "Prepare a poultice of figs and apply it to the boil, and he will recover." (Isaiah 38:21)
None can challenge the verdict of heaven, but heaven opens up to prayers and tears; that is for sure.

Miracles....
It has happened before, it can happen in your lives now.
Believe in the one who said,
"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me? (Jeremiah 32:27)

Back