DAILY OFFICE - SEPTEMBER 3

Silence and Centering

Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him. Psalm 37:7

Silence 2 minutes

1st Reading: Isaiah 12:1-6

In that day you will sing:
“I will praise you, O Lord!
You were angry with me, but not any more.
Now you comfort me.
2 See, God has come to save me.
I will trust in him and not be afraid. The Lord God is my strength and my song;
he has given me victory.”
3 With joy you will drink deeply
from the fountain of salvation!
4 In that wonderful day you will sing:
“Thank the Lord! Praise his name! Tell the nations what he has done.
Let them know how mighty he is! 5 Sing to the Lord, for he has done wonderful things.
Make known his praise around the world. 6 Let all the people of Jerusalema]">[a] shout his praise with joy!
For great is the Holy One of Israel who lives among you.”

New Testament reading: Colossians 3:15-17
15 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. 17 And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.

Devotional reading: ‘Let Christ and His Word Dwell in You’
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16

Each of us has a home in which we live. In addition, there is a home that lives inside each of us. We call it our heart. Deep inside each of us is a special place where we hold memories and feelings. You could say that our heart dwells in us, and we dwell in our heart.

Throughout each day there are moments when I intentionally visit my heart, and then there are moments when it seems that my heart visits me.

Without any warning – a sound, a smell, or something seemingly insignificant can suddenly open the door to my heart and I find myself reliving a special memory.

According to today’s passage of scripture, one of the primary residents of our heart should be the Word of Christ. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you…” In other words, live in the Word of God so that it can live in you. Dwell in it so that it can dwell in you.

Treasure its riches so that its riches become your treasure. Fill your heart and mind with its wisdom so that its wisdom fills your heart and mind. Sing its songs so that its songs become what you sing.

5 minutes of waiting on God (which word or phrase stands out to you. What might God be saying to you?)

The Our Father (slowly pray this)
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For yours is the kingdom, the power, and the glory forever, Amen.

Back