Dark Night of the Soul

St.John of the Cross is the author so it was originally in Spanish. When time permits I'd like to quote a section from each chapter as a form of study.
This is not everyone's cup of tea I admit and even I struggle with it's tough love. There are different levels of humility. If you think you are humble, you probably aren't.
I haven't read the whole book yet so Im kind of doing this to motivate myself as well. I have the translation by Mirabili Starr. She is popular in certain circles.
Writers like Thomas Merton, (in whom I have a high regard) wrote books about St. John of the Cross too. Mystics, (in my opinion) remind us of the importance of deeper connection with God. At least something we can strive for. I know many Christians don't need this motivation. I will always be in awe of Saints like John of the Cross. Their level of spiritual consciousness was on a level we cannot imagine.
Feel free for this thread to be moved or commented on.

Introduction

"In a western world busily recovering from a legacy of shame and blame, John's continual declaration that "I am nothing" (and the implicit suggestion that "we are nothing" too) may set off alarms.
But these would be false alarms. The radical humility that John speaks of has little to do with the pathology of self-deprecation. It is a state of blessedness, where we let go of identification with the small separate self so that we can rest in our togetherness with the Beloved. To be truly humble is to feel a tender acceptance of all reality just as it is, which includes compassion for ourselves just as we are. this kind of humility is a surrender of our whole being to the simple truth of love. "
Mirabili Starr

Hello JAS;

John of the Cross is a Carmelite Friar. A friar is a monastic "monk" from the Augustinians, Carmelites, Dominicans, and Franciscans. Thomas Merton is considered a modern day monk.

These monastic ministries were men and women, many who became monks and nuns, mostly from Catholicism who withdrew from civliization to serve and grow in their relationship with God. A personal or corporate devotion with God and Truth has more substance than mysticism because mystics can be defined in so many variables, many being somewhat vague.

The monastic movement had played a role in the shaping of Christianity serving in humbleness, humility with a vow of chastity and poverty just to name a few abstinances.

When someone announces they are humble or serve with humility has just received their reward. A growing disciple of Christ Jesus learns to ask the Lord for humbleness or humility in secret without blowing trumpets. In other words, if a believer is going to serve Christ in humbleness or humility don't announce it.

God bless you, JAS and your family.

Here is a definition by a simple google search

a mystic
a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.​

Humility is an elusive condition. The minute you ponder on the concept of humility, pride has a way of entering the mind. "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when I'm perfect in every way." :)
interesting ...is my use of humour here, a form of pride? Being proud of my sense of humour? Possibly and yet humour and anxiety are a big connect for me. I use humour to deal with my own seriousness, my own stress if I start to feel too uptight.

Sorry about that last post. I find that self-expression like this helps me clarify my thoughts. It is still on topic in my view. But then again, I find it hard to stick strictly on topic all the time.

I havent read this book but will see if we got any in the public library, havent come across any of his works in the church library.

The interesting thing abut Jesus is he let others praise Him and He didnt even write any of the gospels. Others wrote them.

In todays world of self promotors and entrepeneurs he would have had to have his on facebook page and be well liked. But Jesus didnt do any self promoting at all.

Back