Dead Bury The Dead ???

Dusty

Inactive
Dead Bury The Dead ???

22But Jesus told him, "Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead."..... Matthew 8 :22 .

Do you think Jesus was a bit harsh when He said that ? Or is there another meaning ?

Maybe we need to understand the Jewish buriel customs of that day . Because the country was very hot , it was customary for the people to bury their dead within 24 hrs after they died and the jewish law required that they be buried before sunset ( Which by the way Jewish people still do today ) The body was washed , annointed with spices and wrapped in cloth . .

I think when Jeus said that to the disciples when He wanted them to leave everything and follow Him: he was saying that other friends and relatives who are spiritually " dead " can fulfill the buriel obligation while the disciples join Jesus ' ministry .

Just my opinion and I welcome others views .... Thanks

I think when Jeus said that to the disciples when He wanted them to leave everything and follow Him: he was saying that other friends and relatives who are spiritually " dead " can fulfill the buriel obligation while the disciples join Jesus ' ministry .

That's it in a nut shell.

Matthew 10:37He who loves [and [a]takes more pleasure in] father or mother more than [in] Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves [and takes more pleasure in] son or daughter more than [in] Me is not worthy of Me;
38And he who does not take up his cross and follow Me [[b]cleave steadfastly to Me, conforming wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also] is not worthy of Me. 39Whoever finds his [[c]lower] life will lose it [the higher life], and whoever loses his [lower] life on My account will find it [the higher life].

We may want to cling to some of the things in this life thinking they will satisfy, but if we set those things aside to attain God's spiritual life we will find they are more satisfying than anything on this earth.

We may want to cling to some of the things in this life thinking they will satisfy, but if we set those things aside to attain God's spiritual life we will find they are more satisfying than anything on this earth.

well said ... It goes back to where your treasures are , there your heart will be . .... Matthew 6:19 .... "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

As I was meditiating some more on this verse today . I thought . Could it also be that the disciple who was asked to follow Jesus just made that up as an excuse not to go ? Just like us sometimes ... we rebel and don't want to follow the Holy Spirit's leading.

I think Jesus saw through his excuse and that is why He said " Let the dead bury the dead. "

Dead Bury The Dead???

Most engaging :)

he was saying that other friends and relatives who are spiritually " dead " can fulfill the buriel obligation while the disciples join Jesus ' ministry .
Very good Dusty. And I agree 100%. Because biblically speaking, there are people who are dead while alive:

But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth
1 Tim 5:6

But of course, Christians can also bury the dead. No problem now because we don't have Christ in the flesh w/ us now. So there's no hurry. Remember what Jesus said:

For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

People during the time of Christ should not have wasted their time doing things that are not that too important because they didn't have Christ in the flesh always

Because biblically speaking, there are people who are dead while alive:

Amen to that . If they don't know Jesus then yes they are spiritually dead . But we who are in Christ are alive .Because He gives us life and gives it to us more abundantly .... amen, praise the Lord.

Romans 5:17
For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.

Back