Declaring Prayer for Others

Offering Prayer to Others

The bible says:

Matthew 6:5

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

If we should pray behind closed doors is it still okay to tell someone that you will pray for them? Is that a slippery slope that depends on the intent of the individual?

Strictly speaking from reading the above verse it seems like we should keep that private. Obviously it would be wrong if you are telling someone you will pray for them so they will see how good a Christian you are but you never know how an individual will take your declaration of prayer. They may take it in a way unintended.

I ask because today I told someone that I would pray for them and I immediately thought of Mat 6. This person was not a Christian but he was feeling very ill so I offered my prayer.

Anyway it got me thinking....

I believe Matthew 6:5 is talking about when we pray to God. let's not do it in front of people unless we're praising Him.
but let it be personal and alone.

The bible says:

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

If we should pray behind closed doors is it still okay to tell someone that you will pray for them? Is that a slippery slope that depends on the intent of the individual?

Strictly speaking from reading the above verse it seems like we should keep that private. Obviously it would be wrong if you are telling someone you will pray for them so they will see how good a Christian you are but you never know how an individual will take your declaration of prayer. They may take it in a way unintended.

I ask because today I told someone that I would pray for them and I immediately thought of Mat 6. This person was not a Christian but he was feeling very ill so I offered my prayer.

Dear Humble ,

There is a time and place for everything and what the meaning of that verse is that we should not be boastful and stand up with elegant prayers for people to say , wow , and for asccolades . or to be prideful , full of self .

But we should always pray in a way to honour Jesus and not ourselves . Some people pray in public about themselves and their needs but that is the time when they should do that at home just between them and God .

It is not wrong to say you are praying for some one . In fact if some one said that to me , I would count it an honour .

But with the unsaved we have to be careful , because they might take it differently . you can always ask them if you can pray for any need in their life . And that way they don't feel as threatened.

The bible says:

Matt 6:5 was talking about being boastful about it. There is an infinity of difference between telling someone bhind closed doors that you are praying for them and going down the street telling everyone what you are doing.:fish:

Thanks everyone, that helps a lot. I'm embarrassed to say that I never thought of asking for permission to pray for someone who was not saved. Such an honest way to deal with that. My initial concern was that I may push someone further from Christ if they took my prayer offering in an offensive way.

Prayer in the New Testament Church was quite common. I do not believe that scripture is forbidding us to gather in prayer but is more of an admonition for those who make a public show of such things. If not then two or even three could not gather in prayer and come into agreement.
Here we can see the Church being born in a group/public prayer meeting:

Act 1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
Act 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
Act 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about a hundred and twenty,)

The hypocrites referred to in Matthew 6:5 were condemned because of the state of their heart.

lol oops. I thought what was below your line the signature in your first post humble so I did not read it :'( and I just answered the question thinking that you were meaning that we should never pray in public xD. sorry :(

oh by the way Humble to add to the wonderful comments.
try to not say I'll pray for you when you and another Christian argue. it's a baaaad time to say that ! simply refrain from saying it when both of you are angry. pray in secret at that moment.

lol oops. I thought what was below your line the signature in your first post humble so I did not read it :'( and I just answered the question thinking that you were meaning that we should never pray in public xD. sorry :(

oh, I see, that's my fault. I didn't realize that was used as a signature separator. I'll edit that.

And no I would never use the offer of prayer as a passive aggressive statement towards another christian (or non-Christian). It's good that you bring it up though.

Thanks everyone, that helps a lot. I'm embarrassed to say that I never thought of asking for permission to pray for someone who was not saved. Such an honest way to deal with that. My initial concern was that I may push someone further from Christ if they took my prayer offering in an offensive way.

Hi Humble; thanks for the thoughtful scripture...there have only been a few times that I asked either an unsaved or someone who I thought would be encouraged by prayer if I could pray for them and was surprised that they said no. One, who was of a certain "christian" sect; not mainstream christian, told me that "you don't pray like I do"...I told her that I pray to God in Jesus' Name as the Bible instructs us. She did not want me to pray for her mother or with her.:confused:

Even unsaved persons can appreciate the caring that offering a prayer to God in faith can bring. Some are surprised that we would even take the time and with humble hearts, lift their names and needs before the Throne of Grace. I have found prayer to be a wonderful ministry; not that I do, but that God does in the hearts of those that He allows me to speak and pray with. You are showing them your faith in Christ Jesus and the love
of the Father when you lift them up in prayer.

:groupray:
The heart is always an issue to consider; WHY we pray is important.:)

Amen ... Worshipper.

I have found as well that it is better to ask and that way you do not run into problems. The person will either say yes or no .

We have an evangelism ministry ( and I am sure all churches do ) where we go and knock on doors in the community and ask if we can pray for people's needs . Some say yes and we ask the specifics and others say no and close the door in our face . But God knows .

Three of us were in a restaurant with a missionary friend and the owner came over and was talking to us . She came back later and we asked if we could pray for any needs in her family and she opened up and gave us her request.

In the middle of the restaurant we prayed , holding hands and the owner was so pleased and wanted to know more about the Lord . So you never know where God leads.

1. Prayer releases God's power.

2. Prayer reveals God's secrets.

3. Prayer shows God's will.

4. Prayer leads God's ways.

5. Prayer changes things not God.

6. Prayer moves God and God moves mountains.

7. Prayer brings victory.

8. More prayers less problems and less prayers more problems.

9. Morning prayers leads to evening praise.

10. Prayer is an appointment with God.

1. Prayer releases God's power.

2. Prayer reveals God's secrets.

3. Prayer shows God's will.

4. Prayer leads God's ways.

5. Prayer changes things not God.

6. Prayer moves God and God moves mountains.

7. Prayer brings victory.

8. More prayers less problems and less prayers more problems.

9. Morning prayers leads to evening praise.

10. Prayer is an appointment with God.

interesting. Please take no offense, but.. where are the verses this comes from?

Back