Dependency

What does the Bible say about dependency, or conversely independency?

Is a good or bad thing?

Children are naturally, dependent on their elders, their caregivers. Babies need mothers to feed and nurture them, for without them, they will die.
At which point do we, children of God, ever become independent adults?

I was pondering this. In old age, after what seems like independency we can become dependent again. But maybe being independent is an illusion, for when is there ever a time that the Good Shepherd not keeping watch over us? Even from afar.

Your thoughts?

Psalm 62 is one of my favorites to share with persons who may need to depend on God for assistance with everyday earthly issues in life.

Depending on God is good and essential. Jesus says in John 15:5 - I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
We are totally dependent on God. Apart from Him we can do nothing.

Interesting some people say they may depend on God and others say they cant do anything without God.
Which one are we, can we just ignore God for a while or do stuff without Him, go our own way then only come to Him when we need help (prodigal son who ran away then come back)
Or do we just totally rely on Him? (Son who stayed home but was sulky cos of all attention lavished on prodigal)

If we do decide the first, then there's zero chance any fruit will come of it...unless the branch is actually grafted back in.
If the later, it seems yes, we WILL bear fruit. It may take time, but there will be fruit. With some pruning (training, discipline) of course.

So, what are we to make of those independent years?

Is it...absence because makes the heart grow fonder? Sowing wild oats? Being a teenager...is that a recent phenomenon? Or is it actually to do with money, temptation etc. Prodigal son asked for all his inheritance money up front, so he could spend it. He couldnt wait...

As a child, I totally depended on my parents. I had one older sister who wanted to be independent, so she got a job to earn money. We did get pocket money, but I never really wanted for anything and just put it in savings account. My sister moved half way across the world to be indpendent...and I stayed at home.

Of course, sometimes she comes back and visits. But never for long, and a big fuss is made over her. And I confess that sometimes annoys me! But then in some weird way I think mum and dad are glad I havent left home for good. I remmeber such a fuss mum made when I said I was moving out and how she begged me to stay. Even though sometimes its really hard you think sometimes well im sure they want to kick me out evenutally....

I was chatting with one of the guys I work with today and he was a bit sad about his 18 year old son, who didnt wish his dad happy birthday and generally uncommunicative. I said dont take it personally but he sounded really kind of bitter about it. He tends to say stuff in jest like people do but actually hiding the pain. He cant adopt out his son cos hes too old. But he cant kick him out yet even though he jokingly says so.

I think parents often dont realise their children will grow up one day and become their own person. Many just want to keep them at baby stage. Teenagers generally sleep all day cos of their hormones are all out of whack and forget stuff like their parents birthdays. I dont think that means they dont love their parents. And I guess it shows that its the parents that are the ones depending on their child for happiness.

This made me think how is God depending on us?

What does the Bible say about dependency, or conversely independency?

Is a good or bad thing?

Children are naturally, dependent on their elders, their caregivers. Babies need mothers to feed and nurture them, for without them, they will die.
At which point do we, children of God, ever become independent adults?

I was pondering this. In old age, after what seems like independency we can become dependent again. But maybe being independent is an illusion, for when is there ever a time that the Good Shepherd not keeping watch over us? Even from afar.

Your thoughts?

I guess it depends on what you mean my dependence; survival, financial, spiritual, etc. I am as independent as they come. I enlisted in the military at 18, but, had my mother signed the paperwork, I would have at 17. I left home and traveled the works for over a quarter century. At that point, my dependence on my parents was mostly none; however, I depended my my new family for support and nurture. As my parents became old, I retired, moved back home, and moved them in with us. During their last years on this earth, they depended on my much like I did them at one point. My parents died as little children and I as their "parent." However, I do miss how it felt to come home and see them daily.

Now, my youngest son, his wife, and their two kids life with us and depend on us to help them.

So, it's an endless cycle.

I guess it depends on what you mean my dependence; survival, financial, spiritual, etc. I am as independent as they come. I enlisted in the military at 18, but, had my mother signed the paperwork, I would have at 17. I left home and traveled the works for over a quarter century. At that point, my dependence on my parents was mostly none; however, I depended my my new family for support and nurture. As my parents became old, I retired, moved back home, and moved them in with us. During their last years on this earth, they depended on my much like I did them at one point. My parents died as little children and I as their "parent." However, I do miss how it felt to come home and see them daily.

Now, my youngest son, his wife, and their two kids life with us and depend on us to help them.

So, it's an endless cycle.
You say your new family...you mean your military family?
I now have many dependents, the children in my school, they depend on me to read and find books for them.

One meaning of dependence is financial, but I was thinking of a bigger meaning or just support in general.

As believers, we are utterly dependent on the holy spirit, without Him we cant do anything, it would just be on our own strength. The holy spirit is the helper. So I dont think we as believers can be independent. That would be like cutting ourselves off the vine.

You say your new family...you mean your military family?
I now have many dependents, the children in my school, they depend on me to read and find books for them.

One meaning of dependence is financial, but I was thinking of a bigger meaning or just support in general.

As believers, we are utterly dependent on the holy spirit, without Him we cant do anything, it would just be on our own strength. The holy spirit is the helper. So I dont think we as believers can be independent. That would be like cutting ourselves off the vine.
Hi,

Actually, I was talking about my new family, as in my wife and kids. But, I guess you could count the military as well. They did provide access to housing, health care, food, training, and travel.

I agree, in that I do not believe we were meant to walk this world alone; either physically or spiritually.

rtm3039

I dont know why people seem to value independence so much.

Theres travel guides called LONELY PLANET for independent travelers, but many arent truly independent because they all tend to end up in backpacker hostels crammed in a dorm, sharing bathrooms.

Theres certain churches called independent fundamentalist churches, but they tend to be insular and cult like and sart devouring their own members.

People in various countires celebrate independence day, but left to their own devices they end up having civil wars against their own people.

Theres independent bookstores, but, their prices are more expensive than chain bookstores.

Teenage years are the most dificult years parents go through, cos on one hand they say be independent, you old enough to be your own, yet those teenagers still need guidance and depend on their parents to get them through life.

Another thing is humans are social beings, and interestingly it was God himself saying its isnt good for man to be alone.

So he made a woman. But both were still created to depend on God, evem though they were free to make their own choices. Eves bid for independence and adams disobedience to Gods commands shows that they no longer thought depending on God was a good thing.

Hmm how does this play out in such an individualistic society that values independence and says to people everyone yep do your own thing just do whats right in your own eyes.

Is it like Cain saying am I my brothers keeper?

Just coming back to this thread. People seem to value their independence but sometimes I think they value it a bit too much, instesd of working cooperatively or collaboratively. Ive seen in some churches that they dont work with other churches across the community for things and they just stagnate.

A team is everyone working together. It can be hard working as a team but you can get more done than you could on your own.

Back