DEPRESSION

In his sermon "Overcoming Discouragement," John Yates says:

Dr. Karl Menninger, the famous psychiatrist, once gave a lecture on mental health and was answering questions from the audience. Someone said, "What would you advise a person to do if that person felt a nervous breakdown coming on?"

Most people thought he would say, "Go see a psychiatrist immediately," but he didn't. To their astonishment, Dr. Menninger replied, "Lock up your house, go across the railroad tracks, find somebody in need, and help that person."

To overcome discouragement, "Don't focus on yourself," concluded Yates, "Get involved in the lives of other people."

Emotions, Giving, Love, Mental Health, Ministry
Acts 20:35

Another cure for depression...... Praise

Eph 5:19 — Eph 5:20
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Psa 103:1 — Psa 103:2

A Psalm of David.
103 Bless the Lord, O my soul:
and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits:

When king David was depressed he told his soul to bless the Lord. He stirred himself up, he rejoiced in the Lord and found all the reasons to give God praise.

Proverbs 17:22 says a merry heart doeth good like a medicine. The way out of depression is praise to God. Giving Him the sacrifice of praise. Find everything that one can to give praise for, even if it's just for toilet paper and toothpaste.

However the biggest reason for praise is because your name is written in the lambs book of life (Luke 10:20)! Rejoicing because God is your Savior.

Don't focus on all the junk that the devil is throwing at you....focus on the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ.... for He came to set the captives free, to deliver them that are bruised, To bring healing and to destroy all the works of the devil. The devil and his bunch were defeated 2000 years ago when Jesus conquered death, hell and the grave. For now all the power over the enemy resides in Jesus, and he chose to give it to us, so we no longer have to be trapped by the enemy.

Even the apostles Paul told us to rejoice...Rejoice in the Lord always [delight, gladden yourselves in Him]; again I say, Rejoice! .... And Paul had many opportunities that he could have been depressed (how many times was he beaten, flogged, whipped, stoned and left for dead, etc...) but he made the choice to rejoice, delight and gladden himself in The Lord.

It's time we all choose to give God the sacrifice of praise. When we put God first and train our flesh and emotions to follow after God's commands (to rejoice in Him despite our circumstances...spoken by the apostles Paul through the unction of the Holy Spirit) we will be well on our way to finding the peace that passes all understanding, and being full of joy that is one of the fruits of the spirit, and something that Jesus left us when He ascended to heaven.

Blessings

Back