Devil Questions - Bible study

What Bible verses do we have that give us a description of what is the devil, and what the devil can actually do?

Can the devil take human form? Is the devil just a spirit, and if he/she is just a spirit, can it feel pain?

Many people will say, "the devil made me do it." Can the devil be in more then one place at a time, or do these people feel the devil gave them enough importance to give them a special visit?

Can the devil take over a persons body (possess them)? What are we actually saying when we say a person is possessed by the devil? Does it mean that the devil has taken control of their mind, and he has mind controlling powers?

Does satan know his ultimate fate? (rev 20:10)

Satan is the prince and ruler of earth. (John 12:31,2 Corinthians 4:4, Ephesians 2:2) He even tried to tell Jesus he would give Him all the kingdoms of the world if he worshipped him (Matthew 4:8-9) . Or Luke chapter 4 actually says, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to." Who gave him this authority, and why?

Does the devil still talk to God directly? (Job1:6-12)

What about in Genesis where God says to the devil:
“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

It says he will crawl on his belly all the days of his life, so is that how the devil gets around? Or do we assume this is a metaphor, and if so, what? Or the enmity between a woman, and a serpent. Is there more animosity between a woman and the devil, versus a man and the devil? Or what other special meaning might this have?

I have my thoughts on this, but wanted to open it for discussion. Cheers!

We know this from Ezekiel:

Super wise (Ez 28.12)
Extraordinary beautiful (Ez 28.12)
Created and therefore not eternal (Ez 28.13)
Highest position - an anointed cherub (Ez 28.14)
Perfectly made - sinned on his own (Ez 28.15)
Filled with violence (Ez 28.16)
Cast out of God's presence (Ez 28.16)
Self-deceived about his wisdom and beauty (Ez 28.17)

The point where it is written that the Devil will crawl on the belly, I think this is to describe the Devil like a snake who is very slippery and misleads us by lies. I think it is a metaphor as well as the Devil met be able to influence ideas as people describe; perhaps the Devil can communicate with us in a degree of we are unaware but taking the lies in.
I will need to read some passages on the other point you made but I will post a follow up when I have studied scripture in relation to the Devil.

Many people will say, "the devil made me do it." Can the devil be in more then one place at a time, or do these people feel the devil gave them enough importance to give them a special visit?

Did THE devil make someone do it, unlikely. What's more likely is that one of his demons did it for him. People tend to use 'devil' synonymously with a 'demon' or 'demons'. The devil is not omnipresent, only God has that ability. The thought of the devil being omnipresent probably stems from my previous point of the word devil being synonymous with demons. The devil being able to be everywhere is because his demons are everywhere, not the devil himself.

Matthew 8:29 can answer that "And behold, they [demons] cried out, “What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?” It would be hard to believe that demons know their ultimate fate but not he devil himself.

Who gave him this authority [to give Jesus kingdoms...], and why?

Authority was given to Satan, first by Adam (not enforcing his authority to protect the garden given to him by God) then by Eve (eating the fruit), hence the fall of man and the devil gaining authority due to Adam and Eve's disobedience. Thank God for Jesus; because of Him we have regained that authority in His name!

We know this from Ezekiel:

Super wise (Ez 28.12)
Extraordinary beautiful (Ez 28.12)
Created and therefore not eternal (Ez 28.13)
Highest position - an anointed cherub (Ez 28.14)
Perfectly made - sinned on his own (Ez 28.15)
Filled with violence (Ez 28.16)
Cast out of God's presence (Ez 28.16)
Self-deceived about his wisdom and beauty (Ez 28.17)

Great scriptures you have provided.

I see this a lot in California (Hollywood specifically):
"Your heart became proud
on account of your beauty"

People always attribute beauty with blessing, but I would assume it's more so the opposite, a curse.

The point where it is written that the Devil will crawl on the belly, I think this is to describe the Devil like a snake who is very slippery and misleads us by lies. I think it is a metaphor as well as the Devil met be able to influence ideas as people describe; perhaps the Devil can communicate with us in a degree of we are unaware but taking the lies in.
I will need to read some passages on the other point you made but I will post a follow up when I have studied scripture in relation to the Devil.

Thank you for the response, and interesting perspective. If it is indeed a metaphor, I wonder what the "eating dust" part could mean.

Great scriptures you have provided.

I see this a lot in California (Hollywood specifically):
"Your heart became proud
on account of your beauty"

People always attribute beauty with blessing, but I would assume it's more so the opposite, a curse.

I heard a quote recently that's probably quite old but still true; "our strengths overused become a weakness". Our non-spiritual gifts/strengths overused can definitely become a weakness.

Did THE devil make someone do it, unlikely. What's more likely is that one of his demons did it for him. People tend to use 'devil' synonymously with a 'demon' or 'demons'. The devil is not omnipresent, only God has that ability. The thought of the devil being omnipresent probably stems from my previous point of the word devil being synonymous with demons. The devil being able to be everywhere is because his demons are everywhere, not the devil himself.

Exactly.

Matthew 8:29 can answer that "And behold, they [demons] cried out, “What have you to do with us, O Son of God? Have you come here to torment us before the time?” It would be hard to believe that demons know their ultimate fate but not he devil himself.

I was actually thinking of this exact verse when I wrote this question. It made me think of other questions too, but I didn't think they would be specifically about the devil, but now that I think about it again I guess they could be. The question I had was, why would the demons beg Jesus to be casted into a pig? What purpose would this serve them? Then, why when they were casted into the pigs, they killed the pigs? Where did they go after the pigs died?

Who gave him this authority [to give Jesus kingdoms...], and why?
Authority was given to Satan, first by Adam (not enforcing his authority to protect the garden given to him by God) then by Eve (eating the fruit), hence the fall of man and the devil gaining authority due to Adam and Eve's disobedience. Thank God for Jesus; because of Him we have regained that authority in His name!
Another great answer! To clarify, who do you speak of when you say "we have regained authority" and authority of what? Does satan now have no authority in this world? Or does he still have some authority over some things? Possible answer, Ephesians 1:16-23, 2:5.

I heard a quote recently that's probably quite old but still true; "our strengths overused become a weakness". Our non-spiritual gifts/strengths overused can definitely become a weakness.

Samson would be a good example of someones strength becoming a weakness.

A verse that would go with your quote, "Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

The question I had was, why would the demons beg Jesus to be casted into a pig? What purpose would this serve them? Then, why when they were casted into the pigs, they killed the pigs? Where did they go after the pigs died?

That is a good question. I don't know of a biblical answer so what I'm about to say is pure speculation and opinion. It could be that they knew in Jesus' presence, they could not enter a person, so the pigs were their next best thing. They also may have killed themselves as pigs to mock Jesus, knowing full well that Jesus wasn't going to do anything to them before their time of eternal torment. After the pigs died, I'm sure the unclean spirits were out wandering around trying to seek another person to attach to. Since man was made in God's image, their possession of someone else is the ultimate mockery.

Thoughts?

What Bible verses do we have that give us a description of what is the devil, and what the devil can actually do?

Can the devil take human form? Is the devil just a spirit, and if he/she is just a spirit, can it feel pain?

He can take any form he pleases, he is a spirit , but he can "manifest" as a physical form. Spirits can feel pain.

Only one place at a time, he is not omnipresent, he is a singular entity. Satan "generally" doesn't do special visits, that is "beneath" him.

Can the devil take over a persons body (possess them)? What are we actually saying when we say a person is possessed by the devil? Does it mean that the devil has taken control of their mind, and he has mind controlling powers?

Yes, any devil or demon can possess a human, they actually replace the person temporarily. Yes, they can control minds.

He is not trustworthy, and thinks God is not either. He has no faith in prophecy.

Satan is the prince and ruler of earth. (John 12:31,2 Corinthians 4:4, Ephesians 2:2) He even tried to tell Jesus he would give Him all the kingdoms of the world if he worshipped him (Matthew 4:8-9) . Or Luke chapter 4 actually says, “I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to." Who gave him this authority, and why?

We (the human race) did. Because we are idiots.

Does the devil still talk to God directly? (Job1:6-12)

On occasion.

What about in Genesis where God says to the devil:
“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

It says he will crawl on his belly all the days of his life, so is that how the devil gets around? Or do we assume this is a metaphor, and if so, what? Or the enmity between a woman, and a serpent. Is there more animosity between a woman and the devil, versus a man and the devil? Or what other special meaning might this have?

Don't take Genesis too seriously.

I have my thoughts on this, but wanted to open it for discussion. Cheers!

The question I had was, why would the demons beg Jesus to be casted into a pig? What purpose would this serve them? Then, why when they were casted into the pigs, they killed the pigs? Where did they go after the pigs died?

That is a good question. I don't know of a biblical answer so what I'm about to say is pure speculation and opinion. It could be that they knew in Jesus' presence, they could not enter a person, so the pigs were their next best thing. They also may have killed themselves as pigs to mock Jesus, knowing full well that Jesus wasn't going to do anything to them before their time of eternal torment. After the pigs died, I'm sure the unclean spirits were out wandering around trying to seek another person to attach to. Since man was made in God's image, their possession of someone else is the ultimate mockery.

Thoughts?

Could it be that was because they were "unclean" animals and maybe demons liked the status quo they had in the human being. They liked it in the demoniac and they could live with him. Who knows what a pig thinks???

Luke 10:18 “…I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.”

John 8:44 “…He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.”

Ephesians 6:10-12
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 “And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.”

Revelation 12:9-12 “And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him…. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Isaiah 14:13-14 “…I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.”

Isaiah 14:15 “Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.”

Isaiah 14:16-17 “…Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?”

Could it be that was because they were "unclean" animals and maybe demons liked the status quo they had in the human being. They liked it in the demoniac and they could live with him. Who knows what a pig thinks???

I have no idea what a pig things, but I do know what I think when I think of a pig...yum!

Cooked_Bacon.jpg

Satan has a lot more knowledge than humans do but he has never been wise, merely pridefully clever. And he is blinder than we are. And I wouldn't say our eyesight is 20/20. He hates God and attacks what God loves.....us. Not for our own sake but he knows it is painful to God. Some theorists say he loves God and just could not bow down to humans. Someone posted on another thread that pigs have 97% similarity to human dna. Maybe they haven't tracked the pig dna genome? Maybe the pigs didn't want their unwelcome guests and had the ability to run into the sea as their only alternative. I know that evil needs the physical to do their worst work. Some say that the possessed gives access to evil either unwittingly/deceived or willfully. They (humans) open doors they don't know how to close.

Satan has a lot more knowledge than humans do but he has never been wise, merely pridefully clever. And he is blinder than we are. And I wouldn't say our eyesight is 20/20. He hates God and attacks what God loves.....us. Not for our own sake but he knows it is painful to God. Some theorists say he loves God and just could not bow down to humans. Someone posted on another thread that pigs have 97% similarity to human dna. Maybe they haven't tracked the pig dna genome? Maybe the pigs didn't want their unwelcome guests and had the ability to run into the sea as their only alternative. I know that evil needs the physical to do their worst work. Some say that the possessed gives access to evil either unwittingly/deceived or willfully. They (humans) open doors they don't know how to close.
And all the people in the region of the Gerasenes begged Jesus to go away and leave them alone, for a great wave of fear swept over them. So Jesus returned to the boat and left, crossing back to the other side of the lake. (‭Luke‬ ‭8‬:‭37‬ NLT) For the longest time I couldn't understand why they were afraid and begged Jesus to leave. The answer is in preceding verses: Then those who had seen what happened told the others how the demon-possessed man had been healed. (‭Luke‬ ‭8‬:‭36‬ NLT). The man was healed by Jesus casting out the demons, they were afraid because the pigs jumped off a cliff into the ocean which resulted in them losing their investment in the pigs. The cost to follow Jesus is what scared them. Your comment about how evil needs the physical to do their worst work makes a little more sense of this.

And all the people in the region of the Gerasenes begged Jesus to go away and leave them alone, for a great wave of fear swept over them. So Jesus returned to the boat and left, crossing back to the other side of the lake. (‭Luke‬ ‭8‬:‭37‬ NLT) For the longest time I couldn't understand why they were afraid and begged Jesus to leave. The answer is in preceding verses: Then those who had seen what happened told the others how the demon-possessed man had been healed. (‭Luke‬ ‭8‬:‭36‬ NLT). The man was healed by Jesus casting out the demons, they were afraid because the pigs jumped off a cliff into the ocean which resulted in them losing their investment in the pigs. The cost to follow Jesus is what scared them. Your comment about how evil needs the physical to do their worst work makes a little more sense of this.

I have to admit, I had never considered that. What I recalled was - wasn't that the demon possessed man who was feared and people made a wide berth to avoid him? In the past, I thought Jesus allowed the demons to go into the pigs because, according to Jewish law, eating pig was forbidden. Now you have me wondering who was keeping pigs :).

The whole of Luke Chapter 8 is interesting and on point with talk of the devil. Luke 8:40 states that Jesus returned to the area and was "gladly received". The once demon possessed man had wanted to follow Jesus but Jesus sent him home that his healing might reflect God's glory. Apparently it worked as Jesus was warmly received. The beginning of this chapter gives the parable of the seeds. And these seeds are the word of God. It is interesting, Luke 8:12 says people get the word of God and the devil comes and takes it out of their hearts (twists it?). Thanks for leading me to reread this chapter. I saw new things.

Back