Devotional of John Chapter 12

John 12:5-6 “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?” He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it.
Mary Anoints Jesus at Bethany
Even though Judas spoke truth about the poor, his heart was far from it. I think what this passage is saying is that we have to be true to ourselves if we are to follow Jesus. Our hearts reflect what we say,through body language and can be caught in deceit. Sometimes I say things that don't mean anything to me just to look "better" than someone else. I guess the other word for that is being too righteous. I don't know where the attitude came from, but I've started to become the very thing I disliked. I'm no thief like Judas was, but I'm a thief of what makes me - me; a robber of my Christian ethics. If that makes sense.
I have repented to God about this and asked for his guidance for my heart, mind and soul.

John 12:25-26 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.
Some Greeks Seek Jesus
In verse 25 it seems like a lose-lose situation. You can love or hate your life, either way, it will be lost or gained in a negative way. In a way, this verse could be used to help with depression along with verse 26 of course, but that could be just me. There is always room for salvation.

John 12:37 Though he had done so many signs before them, they still did not believe in him...
The Unbelief of the People
It still applies today from possession. Even though they saw the power of God to drive out demons, some still refuse to believe. I still can't fathom why that is. Even though this passage is speaking about a prophecy, it's still very much true today.

John 12:25-26 Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.
"In verse 25 it seems like a lose-lose situation."

It is more of a statement that "those who are devoted to things of this world will lose their chance at the next world"
and "whoever despises this life (treats it as having no value) will be working towards life in the next world".
Along the lines of "why do you seek treasures here where thieves steal and moths corrupt, seek real treasure in heaven"

"In verse 25 it seems like a lose-lose situation."

It is more of a statement that "those who are devoted to things of this world will lose their chance at the next world"
and "whoever despises this life (treats it as having no value) will be working towards life in the next world".
Along the lines of "why do you seek treasures here where thieves steal and moths corrupt, seek real treasure in heaven"
Oh, I didn't think of it that way. What do you mean about the next world?

The "next world" is Heaven or the "new Heaven and Earth" depending on when in the future you're talking about.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. :)
Glomung said:
"whoever despises this life (treats it as having no value) will be working towards life in the next world".
Would the next world in this case be the new Heaven and Earth? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I always thought that if one were to despise his/her life that it was a slap in the face of God since He is the God of the Living.

Nope, for the time being we're still working with the original Heaven and same old Earth. The "New and Improved Heaven and Earth" will be created after the Millenium and Final Judgement (be a while yet).

Revelation 21
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. 2And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, 4and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”
5And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new."

and the other thing "I always thought that if one were to despise his/her life that it was a slap in the face of God since He is the God of the Living. "
It is one thing to be happy you are alive and to use this life honorably, it is completely another to put excessive emphasis on your continued earthly existance as most do to the point that staying alive and getting stuff is the main driving force in your life.

Back