Diary Of A House - by Joyce

Diary Of A House - by Joyce

I am posting this because Joyce won't, she doesn't think it fits the Christian format. I say it does, and she writes beautifully. This is the story of her house, and you can actually feel the house in it. It is now a lovely home, comfortable and warm. I'll try to get her to post more of her writings, they are really good. She even wrote a book!
I will have to use 2 messages to get it all in.

Diary Of A House

July 2003

The people who lived in me are gone. Now I don't know what will happen to me. My carpets are filthy, my walls are coated with a nasty mess, my wallpaper is torn, no one took care of me and even my owners don't want me any more. I could be a strong shelter for a nice family if only somebody would care, but no one does. My house friend next door has been left alone even before I was and she is real sad like I am. All we do these long summer nights is talk about how wonderful we could be if only someone would care.
Are we going to be torn down? Left to fall down? Will no one ever care about us and fix us?
Only time will tell. But so far this has been a long summer.

August 2003

No one has seen me. There's trash and junk in me and in the yard I was built into. My next door friend is sadder as the days go by, for once she was shelter to a little family. There's big weeds now in her yard, but at least someone is mowing mine. I don't know what to make of this...for twenty years I provided warmth and shelter to people. My days can't be over, not yet. There are houses not as well-built as I that have stood for 100 years, but no one wants me. I have possibilities, but I can't do anything myself, I need people to help me. But no one would want an ugly house like me. All my other house friends on the street look nice and have people in them because they are pretty. It's just not fair, and I guess I'll never know the joy of hearing laughter within my walls or love in my rooms again.
I don't want to give up hope, but I don't want to hope too much either. I have a realtor's lock on my door now, which means I'm for sale. But who would want me?

September 2003

A few people stopped by to look at me, but they didn't like me. I knew it. I'm too dirty and nasty for nice people to want. My house friend next door, I fear, has been abandoned...she doesn't have a realtor's lock on her door and no one at all has been to visit her. She is very despondent these days, and I am doing my best to keep us both going but I don't know how much longer I can hold out. The nights are starting to get a bit longer and the days are getting shorter, and winter is coming soon. No one will want to work on me in winter and no one will move into me the way I am now.
I talked with my friend Maple Tree in my front yard, she is sad too. She has very climbable branches but no one visits her either, not even the little girls down the street any more.
I am trying hard to keep hope, but hope is quickly fading as the nights grow longer. We sit here and watch people come in and out of our other friends on the street; we see the lights on in them at night and we see those people loving our friends and taking care of them. With each dawn we hold our breath and pray someone will see us and wonder at us, maybe ask questions, maybe...
I keep thinking and hoping maybe tomorrow, for tomorrow has to come sometime, doesn't it?

October 2003

A couple more people have seen me this month, and of course they don't want me. One couple, a funny-looking redheaded lady and a tall dark-haired guy came by and my little heart was broken because I liked them but they didn't like me. They didn't come in, just peeked in my windows, but for some reason I was very disappointed. They even wondered at my friend next door, but they went away and I didn't see them again. I'll never see them again, they're just like everyone else I guess. My house friend is becoming fatalistic, believing we'll never be lived in. I keep feeling like that's just not possible, and I try to tell her, but she is so far into despair and hopelessness everything I say nowadays has little or no effect. Some days she is very withdrawn and won't talk to me at all, so I whisper to Maple Tree, who sighs as she sheds her leaves for someone to climb her. The lady next door has kept my yard mowed but still, I look as forlorn and unwanted as anything possibly could. No one has even come to take out any trash.
The nights are getting cold now, and little Maple Tree shivers in the wind, for she is as lonely as I. We will all have to make it together alone through the coming winter; perhaps with Spring there will be renewed hope.

November 2003

Dare I hope? That couple came back, this time with a new realtor I hadn't seen before and a nice-looking dark-haired lady with twinkling eyes and a sweet smile. They went all through me!! The dark-haired lady kept saying what a good house I could be...and that she would put a bid in on me. The problem is, somebody was here a week before with another realtor who said they would put a bid in too, but I really want these people. At least they came back. I don't know what's going to happen, but I have new hope. Now two people want me, at least I think they do, and even my friend next door perked up and is more talkative now. Maple Tree says she has a good feeling, so I don't know what's in store for me now. I figure if 2 people wanted to buy me, one of them might get me...after all, this is better than nothing. Maple Tree liked the people who came back, and so did my friend.
The redhead and her husband (who has no hair now, how interesting) came back again, looking at me several times. They seem very interested in measuring my back yard. They were talking about things like trees and bushes and a pond...maybe they're really interested in my possibilities. I wish I could talk! I would have told them about how promising I am with a little help, but all I could do is stand tall and proud for them with hope in my heart. The nights are longer and colder, and I do so need someone to keep me warm inside.
I look to each dawn with eagerness; maybe they will come.

And the rest:

December 2003
To say this has been the best time of my little life would be an understatement. That nice dark-haired lady (I hear she's called Donna) bought me for that couple! Their names are Justin and Joyce. The first thing they all did was tear me up and clean me up inside! All the nastiness and filth is gone! I now have a brand-new kitchen (complete with a dishwasher and all new appliances) with new paint, vinyl, and carpet. I got new windows, I look beautiful. Still a little work to do, but Justin and Joyce live in me now and they laugh and they love me. Everybody comes over, and once again I have life! My friend next door is happier now, because Donna looked at her too and said she could be easily fixed up. I have 5 cats and a dog here too. Maple Tree is happy, Joyce climbed her and said she was perfect for sitting on a branch and reading, and Justin climbed her too and put up a bird feeder. There are bulbs planted around the mailbox, some of the trash is out, I got a new shed, and I am warm at night now!
They moved all their things in on December 22. I have a piano in my living room too. They work a lot at night but they keep me warm and those cats and the dog play with each other and keep me company when Justin and Joyce are away working. Lots of people have been in and out doing things to me and the other houses on the street are quite interested in all the activity.
But the most exciting thing is, these people love me and they are taking care of me. This was really worth all that time I felt alone and unwanted. Somebody heard my prayers, and soon someone will come to my friend next door. I have told her it will happen...and it will, I know. She saw what happened to me, and now she believes it will happen to her too.
I am complete.

January 2004
They're still doing more things to me! And they keep me clean and tidy...took out a bunch of trash in the yard and are finishing even my garage. They still have things to move in from a storage space that will make me look even better inside, and the best news is the owner of my friend next door is going to start working on her too! I am very proud now, I'm the best house on the street and everybody knows it. I even have a name: Fountain Place, because I'm the only house on the block with a fountain on the front deck! I am so proud. I hear them planning things for me and I can hardly wait. Every day is an adventure and every night I protect them. Justin works on his car in the garage now, and the dog loves my big back yard. They take lots of pictures of me and show them to their friends. My friend next door is much happier these days, and we have lots to talk about now. Maple Tree is always full of birds now that she has a nice bird feeder on her, and she is looking forward to having Joyce climb up in her and read in the Spring.
These new residents are funny people. They hug a lot and laugh, and dote on their pets. They find ways to make me prettier and seem to have fun doing it.
And they're going to be with me for a long, long time. I will make sure of that and I will never let them down.

I definately think it has a Christian theme. It could be compared to many things, but one I thought as I read it was that We are God's instrument and how He reaches out to others. The house (like God) can't function fully without our help and care.

Also, it could be seen as our own bodies, when we neglect them and put junk into them and then when we meet Christ, all that junk is cleaned out and we start to care about our bodies and learn to live happily ever after. The End.

I loved it and felt alot when reading it.. I too compared it with my life and the junk in my life and how no one would want me..

I felt it was awesome!

Thanks for sharing

Faithwoman:)

I told her it was good. I saw this house when they first got it, before anything had been done. The smell inside was so bad that I had to run out in the front yard and throw up. It was horrible.

Hahahaha, while she's out, I'm using her laptop and I'll post more of her writes. She told me I could!
God bless,
Star

Back