Did Jesus Wrestle?

Did Jesus Wrestle?

Ive been reading early christian literature lately
and one of the believes they have is that Jesus shows himself physically in the old testament.

22And he rose up that night, and took his two wives, and his two womenservants, and his eleven sons, and passed over the ford Jabbok.
23And he took them, and sent them over the brook, and sent over that he had.
24And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
25And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
26And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
27And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
28And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
29And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
30And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. ( genesis 32 24-30)

now notice three things here

1. Most of us believe that jacob wrestled with an angel. But it doesn't say angel it says man. everywhere else where an angel is present the bible clearly indicates that it is an angel. Could it be possible that this isn't an angel.

2. After the fight is over this man says something interesting "for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed." did you catch that the man just said that Jacob just wrestled with God. what man was fully man and fully God?? only Jesus Christ.

and another point, God likes to rename people to point out the purpose, abram into abraham, Simon into Peter ect.

3. "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved" Jacob himself admits that he had seen God face to face. He also proclaims that his life is preserved. Jesus preserved our eternal life on the cross.

thoughts

Your brother in christ
Ryan Fitz

Good thoughts brother and yes you are right . The man was Jesus Christ and there are many other places in the old testament that point to Christ . As a matter of fact Christ was there at the very begining of creation as was the Holy Spirit.

Amen . He is the rock . Jesus is the Stone that serves as the alignment and completion of our lives.

I came across something while studying this. Gen. 32:28 (Niv) Then the man said,"Your name will no longer be Jacob,but Israel,because you have struggled with Godand with men and have overcome".

In my Thompson Bible......And he said,Thy name shall be called no more Jacob,but Israel for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men,and hast prevail.

In the NIV they left out the Prince will prevail part. I come alot of things like this using my NIV and they're alot more. I remember all scriptures from my other bible But I figured I bring this up while we are all studying this passage.

i see this as a wrestle physical in the old testament,and a spiritual wrestle in the new testament.we wrestle with spiritual matters now.

First, God does not change. Malachi 3:6 Hebrews 13:8.
God has been the same since the very beginning.

The first three verses of the Bible clearly define the trinity.
Genesis 1:1 Elohim, Creator, provider. (Father)
Genesis 1:2 Spirit hovering, omnipresent. (Holy Ghost)
Genesis 1:3 Word. And the Word is able to manifest in physical tangable form. (Jesus Christ)

John 1 reafirms this fact; In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God, and the Word became flesh and for a time dwelt among us.

In terms of God manifesting in the flesh, (Anthropomorphism) such as was the case with Jacob wrestling with God. Jacob was wrestling on all three levels of the triune God. Wrestling provisionaly with God the Father, wrestling on the spiritual level, and even at the same time wrestling on the physical level.

Jacob, just like you and I, is himself "triune." He is a provisional being, he is a spiritual being and he is a fleshly being.
This is the way we were all created.
Genesis 1:26 Let US make man in OUR own image.

Letsgofishing asked, "Did Jesus Wrestle?"
I wouldn't say that Jacob was wrestling with "Jesus" rather I would say that he was wrestling with the Godhead.

The same is true earlier in Genesis 3:8 when Adam and Eve heard the "footsteps" of God walking in the garden. God was walking on feet, He was in the flesh. But again, I would want to be clear to make the distinction between Adonai, and Adoni.
A good example of this distinction in scripture is in Psalm 110 1:1

Adonai referring to Gods diety, and Adoni (Lord) which referrs to Gods human appellative.

It is true to say that Jesus IS God.
However, Jesus (In His Humanity.) can be described in finite terms, Jesus of Nazareth, the foretold Messiah, the Christ.
God, is indescribable, God is infinite, the Alpha and the Omega and cannot be defined in finite terms. :)

What do you mean by wrestling? You mean physically? The thought of Jesus wrestling and beating somebody up shocks me. I don't think He would do such a thing.

Back