Difference Between Sin Committed By Believer And Unbeliever

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.
How about these?

No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.

For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

I don't know if I fully agree to this.. God cannot judge a person to hell, if he was oblivious to what was expected from him.. I don't know the 1000 things about your wife.. But I do know what women in generally do no like or like :)

On the other hand, a believer fully knows what is needed for him to please God.. Stay away from evil! Still he does..

Yes, they are not completely oblivious. I think Cain is a perfect example to explain my point...God did not give Cain the ten commandments, definitely not the 603 other laws. Just one expectation of what he knew he had to repent of to be right with God. Cain swore. Cain thought evil thoughts. Cain beat some people. Cain murdered his brother. The murder caused God to pay him a visit.

Isn't every sin mortal?
If every sin was mortal the Jews would stone thieves to death and not chop their hands off. God would have no reason for judging according to works Rom 2:6. Jesus would not say Mark 7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Do you know why Israel failed and God turned to the Gentiles? Have you thought about that? It's the answer to your dilemma.

If every sin was mortal the Jews would stone thieves to death and not chop off their hands. God would have no reason for judging according to works Rom 2:6. Jesus would not say Mark 7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.
I always understood mortal sin as spiritual death of the person.. That is, beyond hope.. I never looked at it from earthly perspective

If every sin was mortal the Jews would stone thieves to death and not chop their hands off. God would have no reason for judging according to works Rom 2:6. Jesus would not say Mark 7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.
For the wages of sin is death. Not for the wages of some sin is death.

I always understood mortal sin as spiritual death of the person.. That is, beyond hope.. I never looked at it from earthly perspective
I never see anyone living as beyond hope. I always teach that you know you have committed the unpardonable sin when you die and wake up in hell. Anyone continuing in mortal sin is definitely testing God's patience.

Last edited:
Because Israel rejected God even though they knew all about the living God?
Close... they tried to obtain righteousness through works instead of faith... just like those who call themselves Christians but don't know God just like Job in the beginning.

Romans 9:31-32 (KJV)
But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore? Because [they sought it] not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

Job 42:5 (KJV)
I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Isn't every sin mortal?

That's a very good question. Keep in mind, I'm only responding from a specific Christian perspective -- not one that all Christians would agree with.

We know that fundamentally all sin is displeasing to God, no matter how big or small. The divide is that mortal sin is sin that causes spiritual death, where as venial sin is sin that doesn't cause spiritual harm, but may create some sort of divide of charity.

A good description is in the Catechism in paragraph 1862: "One commits venial sin when, in a less serious matter, he does not observe the standard prescribed by the moral law, or when he disobeys the moral law in a grave matter, but without full knowledge or without complete consent. Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul’s progress in the exercise of virtues and practice of moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not set us in direct opposition to the will and friendship of God; it does not break the covenant with God. With God’s grace it is humanly reparable. 'Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness.'"

Some Christians outside of Catholicism, Orthodox, and I believe even Anglican (though I could be wrong on that one), hold the position that because sin is something that offends God, then it remains wrong on equal levels despite how we perceive it. And likewise, because Christ died for the sins we commit, they also remain static.

Anyway, those are the two perspectives of sin.

That's a very good question. Keep in mind, I'm only responding from a specific Christian perspective -- not one that all Christians would agree with.

We know that fundamentally all sin is displeasing to God, no matter how big or small. The divide is that mortal sin is sin that causes spiritual death, where as venial sin is sin that doesn't cause spiritual harm, but may create some sort of divide, maybe in an earthly way of speaking.

A good description is in the Catechism in paragraph 1862: "One commits venial sin when, in a less serious matter, he does not observe the standard prescribed by the moral law, or when he disobeys the moral law in a grave matter, but without full knowledge or without complete consent. Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul’s progress in the exercise of virtues and practice of moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not set us in direct opposition to the will and friendship of God; it does not break the covenant with God. With God’s grace it is humanly reparable. 'Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness.'"

Some Christians outside of Catholicism, Orthodox, and I believe even Anglican (though I could be wrong on that one), hold the position that because sin is something that offends God, then it remains wrong despite how we perceive it. And likewise, because Christ died for the sins we commit, they also remain static.

Anyway, those are the two perspectives of sin.
Mortal and venial sins makes perfect sense to me! and imho is clearly where scripture points.

There is no greater or lesser sin. Sin is sin and the wages of them is death...

Romans 6:23 (KJV)
For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Are you under the Law? When you can answer this, you have your answer.

There is no greater or lesser sin. Sin is sin and the wages of them is death...

Romans 6:23 (KJV)
For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of God [is] eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Are you under the Law? When you can answer this, you have your answer.
I am not under the law and, yes sin is sin. But...there are levels of rebellion behind sin. This can make a simple thing like a lie, both a venial or mortal sin. There are levels of rebellion we can sink to that can shipwreck our salvation.

My wife was a good dishwasher. It is one of the reasons I married her. But now, she does not wash dishes anymore. I needed to buy a dishwasher. I did not and will never divorce her for that. But should she, wash dishes for another man or use another mans dish washing liquid on my dishes....

Last edited:
I am not under the law and, yes sin is sin. But...there are levels of rebellion behind sin. This can make a simple thing like a lie, both a venial or mortal sin. There are levels of rebellion we can sink to that can shipwreck our salvation.

My wife was a good dishwasher. It is one of the reasons I married her. But now, she does not wash dishes anymore. I needed to buy a dishwasher. I did not and will never divorce her for that. But should she, wash dishes for another man or use another mans dish washing liquid on my dishes....
I look at it differently.. Any sin is capable of separating us from God.. One simple sin.. Because that is what happened to Adam right? Implication of every sin is the same.. When a person is truly born again, I don't think he can be unborn again.. This would take the thread to different direction though..

Back