Differentiating Will and Desire

Our will and desire, and even God’s will and desire do not always coincide. For example, it’s His desire that “all men be saved,” for He desires not “that any should perish” (1Ti 2:4: 2Pe 3:9). Yet, His will is that “he that believeth not shall be damned” (Mark 16:16).

Though the believer’s will is not to sin, this is an impossibility, for the desire of our “old man” manifests itself in our thoughts, feelings and actions. The freedom we have in Christ from the “dominion” of our sin nature (Rom 6:14) lies within its inability to cause us to “sin willfully” (Heb 10:26), unlike the unregenerate whose will is to sin, being void of “His seed” (e.g. new nature – 1 John 3:9). So, for the regenerate the issue is not sinning or not—but in the will never to sin! The “will” is the individual’s choice and I believe is the primary determinate concerning guilt. Living a life of intentionally willing to do wrong manifests the absence of rebirth, because God is always working in those reborn—“to will and to do of His good pleasure” (Phil 2:13).

This will not to sin drives from the Spirit via the “new man” (nature of Christ – Col 3:10), which nature provides for us to be “partakers of the (Christ’s) divine nature” (2 Pet 1:4). One commentator on 1 John 3:9 writes that it’s in our sin nature that we sin, and that we in our new nature cannot sin, which I believe concurs with Romans 7:17, 20. This manifests ownership of personal sin, which keeps us aware of being God-dependent concerning freedom from its guilt and dominion.

Scripture clearly supports that the “old man” (sin nature) still resides in the regenerate (reborn), which understandably results in an inquiry “Why?” One can only suppose with uncertainty (since it’s not scripturally clear here), that it’s the same reason for its initial presence, which in my opinion could be for the purpose of being God-dependent concerning its resolution, seeing this Adamic nature affects the whole man; which often taints our personal understanding (resulting in inaccuracy) concerning spiritual things of the Scriptures, requiring the “mind of the Christ” for understanding (via the Spirit’s teaching).
NC

Hmm I dont quite understand this study but ...it does remind me of what Im reading in Numbers in the OT when they had to do sacrifices that someone who sinned in ignorance did not need to sacrifice as much as someone who sinned presumptuously, and the person that sinned presumptuously was in danger of having his soul cut off from the people.

This also reminds me of Paul how he was saved from being a Pharisee who persecuted christians, God had mercy on him because he sinned in ignorance, yes he was a chief sinner but he did it ignorantly and in unbelief. The unforgiveable sin seems to be if you believe and deliberately sin by turning your back on God, insulting him and despising his Word which is tantamount to blasphemy of the Holy spirit. When people start calling evil good and good evil, thats when its dangerous.

Eve was deceived yes but Adam wasnt and he took the greater punishment deliberately disobeying God. Another thing is if we do stuff up and sin we can repent but for those who are truly evil they will not repent and keep on sinning because they just like sinning.

Hmm I dont quite understand this study but ...it does remind me of what Im reading in Numbers in the OT when they had to do sacrifices that someone who sinned in ignorance did not need to sacrifice as much as someone who sinned presumptuously, and the person that sinned presumptuously was in danger of having his soul cut off from the people.

This also reminds me of Paul how he was saved from being a Pharisee who persecuted christians, God had mercy on him because he sinned in ignorance, yes he was a chief sinner but he did it ignorantly and in unbelief. The unforgiveable sin seems to be if you believe and deliberately sin by turning your back on God, insulting him and despising his Word which is tantamount to blasphemy of the Holy spirit. When people start calling evil good and good evil, thats when its dangerous.

Eve was deceived yes but Adam wasnt and he took the greater punishment deliberately disobeying God. Another thing is if we do stuff up and sin we can repent but for those who are truly evil they will not repent and keep on sinning because they just like sinning.
Hi Lan, and thanks for your interesting input as usual! Concerning Paul, he, like many of the Jews believed in God (John 14:1) and had strong zeal for what he thought was of God, but like the majority of the Jews, "they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge" (Rom 10:2).

Also, it's my belief that we can be encouraged to know that one who is reborn cannot blaspheme the Spirit of God, and of course those not reborn are not in Him anyway.

God's blessings to your Family!

Back