Disciples of All Nations?

A theology book I once read said, "If the people don't go to hell, then what's the point of spreading the Gospel?"
So I stuck with that Idea, that I should so people wouldn't go to hell.

But Verses John 14:22-24 Jesus says
22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works that no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin, but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father.(ESV) (I'm hoping I not taking this out of context, cuz I'll admit, I've done it before XD)

If I don't spread the Gospel to other people who don't know the Gospel where do they go? Why should I spread the Gospel if they don't fall under judgement?

Romans 10:

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Last edited:
If I don't spread the Gospel to other people who don't know the Gospel where do they go? Why should I spread the Gospel if they don't fall under judgement?

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Ha, Mike, I was seconds away from hitting "post" with the same verse! That's the first thing that came to my mind, too. I've often been convicted by the sense of urgency conveyed in scripture when it talks about sharing the gospel.

Hey Adam,

In the passage you referred to, the context seems to suggest to me that "sin" in this case refers specifically to the Hebrews' rejection of Jesus as the Messiah, after He'd fulfilled prophesy and demonstrated who He was (v.24-25). I'd suggest, He is saying that they should have recognized Him as the Messiah of prophecy because of what He spoken to them and the signs He delivered.

Last edited:
A theology book I once read said, "If the people don't go to hell, then what's the point of spreading the Gospel?"

Also (because I think this is a good discussion for us as a community of believers to keep talking about and motivating one another in), I think very few, if any, people commit to being disciples of Christ exclusively for a ticket to eternity. Think about the reasons you decided to be a disciple of Christ... As Christians, we believe that God is good for our lives right now, and His transforming power is a reality at work in us, and we want to offer that to others as well. I think people who already understand the need for transformation in their lives right now are the most likely to be receptive to Jesus' promises.

Some of my observations: When I have lived around people who are pretty comfortable and content with their lives as they are, it's been difficult and awkward to talk about God with them (rich men and eyes of needles and all that:)). When I've lived around people in greater need, opportunities to talk about God have arisen more naturally, and people have been more receptive to Christ's offer. It's easy to get discouraged and lose hope that anyone would actually want to believe what we believe, in a society where comfort is so readily available. Some people seem to be natural evangelists and can just talk to anyone and have a great conversation. For me, I've found that the best option is to look for people in need, and allow myself to be compelled by Jesus' heart of compassion for the broken:

Mat. 9
11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”
12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I think we have a 'memory problem' because in our core/our hearts we want to see ALL saved from eternal torment; like our Father.

But we forget that all of mankind had the Gospel in front of them at one point and it has been forgotten. If you go through and start counting all the times that God/ Christ tells us to "remember"; I think you will be amazed.

If we believe the Bible:

ALL men starting in the Garden of Eden with Adam- and being booted out of the garden KNEW of God.
ALL 8 people who got off the ark KNEW of God and Noah's generations were dispersed throughout the earth after Babylon.
ALL the people at MT Sinai KNEW of God after crossing the Red Sea and still went to building an idol god.

My point is this: we have a tendency to see nations and peoples evolving not KNOWING God; rather than the degeneration of peoples and nations away from the knowledge of God.

All of mankind is accountable for rejecting God because God has made Himself known through His creation since the beginning, through His History, through His Son, through His Word and through His Spirit.

As a Father; I would fail my daughter if I did not introduce her to God and His Word so she may have the opportunity to know Him through His Spirit on this Earth. And that's how it has happened throughout history: generation after generation of unbelieving prideful people fail to teach the knowledge of God and it is forgotten. I wonder what Noah thinks of this current generation? I wonder if his heart is breaking as he watches Christ getting ready to pour out His judgement on mankind again? I wonder about the pain of Adam? Abraham? Moses?

Christ's heart is broken for us and the lost.....

This is one of the better threads I've noticed lately. Thanks, in particular, to brother Mike for a very thoughtful response which touched me.

AHH DISCIPLES!!!

Not just disciples and no 'captive of sin' has ever needed saving from hell. There were captives of sin in Hades and Abraham's bosom. We must try grasp the 'raw reality' of what Christianity is all about. The sinners prayer is not magical words and Jesus is not special treatment from God to us living AD.

From day 1 mankind has been accountable for sin because of brain matter / curse / blessing of intelligence from being created just beneath the angels.

Forget God needing to reach out to us in anyway. Our brains (from God) 'know' that right this moment we can hug the person next to us or hurt them. Hurting them is bad, hugging is good. This is why mentally handicapped and babies are not accountable for evil / sin. This is why Jesus needed to die for the whole 'human' race. This is why evolution is a silly theory for a Christian to accept. This is why God never gave Adam, Eve or Cain the ten commandments, just an opportunity to repent.

Gospel to all OT = Hate what is evil / Repent.
Gospel to all NT = Hate what is evil / Repent + good news.

People who hate sin need to / are privileged to hear / know the good news. Rejoice all who hate sin, because Jesus has died and been resurrected = The ruler of the world has been defeated. We can enter into eternal life / communion with God with confidence / relationship with God as Father / we go to heaven now and not Abraham's bosom / we can get victory over sin / no need to live in condemnation as God will forgive sincere repentance 7 x 70 times a day / crystal clear understanding from factual event (cross) that God is exceedingly good, no need for any assumptions or statements like 'I will do what is right even if God is evil'.

God is 100% impartial. Those OT had no less of an advantage in getting to heaven then us NT.

One other thing that comes to mind is how God's word says He spreads us Christians like salt on the earth. It is like He is giving us all an opportunity to do what He / prophets did OT / be part of His arm reaching out to the lost / God in that moment. IE, God doesn't need to pay Cain a visit today, He can get us to do it for Him. If we don't is Cain's salvation on our head? Of course not. But our desire to do what is good / God's will, will be clearer to us and God. As we know God searches the depths of our minds and hearts.

Conclusion: We spread the gospel because we have the good news and are on a level of knowledge / understanding that is close to / on par / beyond the prophets. Anyone who knows the truth IS burdened to share it.

Back