Dispensation for Angels?

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dispensation of Angels
Are angels under 'dispensational rules' and cessationist's restrictions.
In the OT they could slay thousands of the enemies of Israel, and even those of Israel.
Are they capable of that today? Or are they restricted during this Church Age?

Dispensation of Angels
In the OT they could slay thousands of the enemies of Israel, and even those of Israel.
Are they capable of that today? Or are they restricted during this Church Age?
Angels don't appear to be governed by the same rules as human beings. For example, there appears to be no route for the salvation of fallen angels. I don't believe angels function any differently during this age than they functioned during any other earlier period. But, that's just my uninformed opinion since Scripture is silent on that specific topic.

Hello crossnote;

I don't find dispensation or cessationism of Angels taught in Scripture. Therefore I don't know, brother.

I will say this. God is Sovereign when it comes to His Purpose or gifts. This doesn't mean we can't discuss this or inspire us to dig deeper in His Word and develop Biblical discernment.

God bless you, crossnote and your entire family.

Dispensation of Angels
Are they capable of that today? Or are they restricted during this Church Age
I think that we need to remember that there is NO mention of an angels ministry in the Church Age.

After the ascension, there is no mention of angel activity.

We do see .......“It is his angel!” in Acts 12:15 but that may not imply that all believers have an angel assigned to them. It may only imply that in that situation God had commissioned an angel to use Peter’s voice in Acts 12:14 and perhaps awaken even more urgent prayer for him. In either one, it is clearly not an act of ministry.

I would suggest this:
Ponder first that every Christian has the Creator of the universe as his Father, and has the Son of God as Lord of the universe as his elder and the Holy Spirit as our companion. You cannot have a safer, more exalted position as a human being than to have God as your all-caring, all-providing Father.

Having a hundred or a thousand of the highest ranking angels serving you does not increase your safety or your dignity.

All of the angels in all of Creation do not equal the infilling power of the Holy Spirit.

We do see .......“It is his angel!” in Acts 12:15 but that may not imply that all believers have an angel assigned to them. It may only imply that in that situation God had commissioned an angel to use Peter’s voice in Acts 12:14 and perhaps awaken even more urgent prayer for him. In either one, it is clearly not an act of ministry.
Yes, there was an angel, whether assigned or not, during the Church age...

Acts 12:8,10-11 NKJV
Then the angel said to him, "Gird yourself and tie on your sandals"; and so he did. And he said to him, "Put on your garment and follow me." [10] When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord; and they went out and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him. [11] And when Peter had come to himself, he said, "Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel, and has delivered me from the hand of Herod and from all the expectation of the Jewish people."
I would suggest this:
Ponder first that every Christian has the Creator of the universe as his Father, and has the Son of God as Lord of the universe as his elder and the Holy Spirit as our companion. You cannot have a safer, more exalted position as a human being than to have God as your all-caring, all-providing Father.
That's true, but on the other hand we know that God often uses men's to accomplish His purposes.

"Are they not all ministering spirits [i.e. angels] sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation? (Heb. 1:14)

"Are they not all ministering spirits [i.e. angels] sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation? (Heb. 1:14)
Agreed.

Heb. 1:14 in the KJV........
"Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

A couple of thoughts.

1. If this verse refers to Christians, aren't we as Christians "Possessors" of salvation. We are "Possessors " of salvation! Inherited means.....
something coming later.

2. Hebrews was written by a Hebrew to the Hebrews and it is the Jews who are the HEIRS of salvation.

3. If it refers to angels, they are not saved, they are Gods created beings so it can not be them.

Many people believe in personal “guardian angels; it could be that every believer has an angel assigned to him for protection, but there is nothing specifically stated in the Bible about personal guardian angels. I would not argue the idea with anyone. All I am saying is that when Jesus ascended, He promised the Holy Spirit........not an angel to comfort us and guide us.

Yes, there was an angel, whether assigned or not, during the Church age...

Acts 12:8,10-11 NKJV
Then the angel said to him, "Gird yourself and tie on your sandals"; and so he did. And he said to him, "Put on your garment and follow me." [10] When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord; and they went out and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him. [11] And when Peter had come to himself, he said, "Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel, and has delivered me from the hand of Herod and from all the expectation of the Jewish people."

That's true, but on the other hand we know that God often uses men's to accomplish His purposes.
As I said.........
"We do see .......“It is his angel!” in Acts 12, but that may not imply that all believers have an angel assigned to them. It may only imply that in that situation God had commissioned an angel to use Peter’s voice in Acts 12:14 and perhaps awaken even more urgent prayer for him. In either one, it is clearly not an act of ministry.

As I said.........
"We do see .......“It is his angel!” in Acts 12, but that may not imply that all believers have an angel assigned to them. It may only imply that in that situation God had commissioned an angel to use Peter’s voice in Acts 12:14 and perhaps awaken even more urgent prayer for him. In either one, it is clearly not an act of ministry.
No guardian angels or ventriloquest angels ever crossed my mind...

Acts 12:7,10-11 NKJV
Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, "Arise quickly!" And his chains fell off his hands. [10] When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord; and they went out and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him. [11] And when Peter had come to himself, he said, "Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel, and has delivered me from the hand of Herod and from all the expectation of the Jewish people."

Last edited:
No guardian angels or ventriloquest angels ever crossed my mind...

Acts 12:7,10-11 NKJV
Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, "Arise quickly!" And his chains fell off his hands. [10] When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord; and they went out and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him. [11] And when Peter had come to himself, he said, "Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel, and has delivered me from the hand of Herod and from all the expectation of the Jewish people."

Well.... the New Testament position seems to be that Angels are indeed real. You might even entertain an angel without knowing it.

But vastly more important is to grasp that Christ is among us; Christ has promised to take care of us; Christ will never leave us or forsake us; Christ may be entertained in the person of a believer and the Holy Spirit indwells us.

So then, IMHO the Christian life should be a hundred times more oriented on Christ than on angels.

We should also remember the warning from Paul in Galatians 1:9 7 9.........
" But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

That seems to bring a some what dire warning against "angels". You see, Fallen Angels can disguise themselves as angels of light and we mortal men are very suspect to believe what we see instead of what God said.

Well.... the New Testament position seems to be that Angels are indeed real. You might even entertain an angel without knowing it.

But vastly more important is to grasp that Christ is among us; Christ has promised to take care of us; Christ will never leave us or forsake us; Christ may be entertained in the person of a believer and the Holy Spirit indwells us.

So then, IMHO the Christian life should be a hundred times more oriented on Christ than on angels.

We should also remember the warning from Paul in Galatians 1:9 7 9.........
" But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

That seems to bring a some what dire warning against "angels". You see, Fallen Angels can disguise themselves as angels of light and we mortal men are very suspect to believe what we see instead of what God said.
The OP is not about whether angels are real or not, but whether their gifted powers are restricted to certain dispensations as the Church seems to have.
For sure, Christ is the preeminent One, but considering the topic at hand, should we not have certain topics because they deal with secondary issues?
No dire warning here, I'm just inquiring.

The OP is not about whether angels are real or not, but whether their gifted powers are restricted to certain dispensations as the Church seems to have.
For sure, Christ is the preeminent One, but considering the topic at hand, should we not have certain topics because they deal with secondary issues?
No dire warning here, I'm just inquiring.
OK. I was trying to be really nice. Then I would say that there is NO angel ministry on the earth in the dispensation of the church.

Back