Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly Multiple Personality Disorder) and Heaven/Hell

Hi, I'm Ava 💖

I have a bit of an unusual question. I have Dissociative Identity Disorder, which means I am one of multiple distinct identities, known as alters, in this body. This disorder develops in childhood as a result of extreme and ongoing trauma, when the brain creates dissociative barriers between areas of personality to form distinct identities, as a method of coping with trauma. Now that the brain has learned that fragmenting can help deal with things, new alters can continue to be formed throughout the life, typically in response to new traumas or extreme stress.

We each have different names, personalities, interests, roles, likes, dislikes, goals, genders, sexualities, opinions, dominant hands, reactions to medications, glasses prescriptions, brain scan results, allergies and beliefs. Obviously we aren't literally different people, and we aren't one real person plus extra fake people, we are one person but fragmented, and we feel like and function like separate people.

I am not the one most commonly in control of the body, nor am I the one who identifies with the appearance or name of the body, so if an "original" or "main" alter, it isn't me. I am the only one who is Christian. The rest range from ambivalence about religion to open dislike of it. There are even alters with trauma regarding Christianity, but due to the nature of the disorder I don't know what happened.

My question is: what happens to us when we die? Does this body have multiple souls which go to the appropriate place upon death? Do we share a soul? If so, where will we go?

Note: While I appreciate a variety of perspectives, I am not looking for opinions on how to deal with the disorder itself. Any comments talking about curing the disorder or insinuating that we are demons will simply be ignored as they are not helpful to us and do not answer the question. If you reject the premise of the question you are free to scroll on ☺️

Thank you for any input you can give 💖

Hi Ava,

I hope you find out, because even though I haven’t been diagnosed with DID myself, I have often been aware of differing personalities in myself at times.
I can like some things some of the time’s and hate them the next. I can switch from being a fun loving party girl one minute to being a serious home bird the next. Although Im not sure if this is the same condition as yours. I have a continuous sense of awareness that my preferences and values change...

the only scripture that keeps coming to mind when I’m aware of sudden changes in my personality are:
Eccles:3,8 which states there is a time to love and a time to hate. I relate it to myself because I used to hate some of my sudden changes in preferences and behaviour. Not that they are immoral or unethical or anything, but because I thought I should just be one continuous unchanging entity with fixed views. Lol. Obviously I realised this is silly as we all have multiple parts of ourselves that change and the only thing that doesn’t change is God.

I hope someone more experienced will add to your post as it i am kinda curious about the soul of each distinct personality you have. And what the bible says.

Ava - Thank you for sharing the situation with us so we all might learn from your experience. One of the other Moderators will be placing some information in this thread in the next day or so, that may be helpful to all.

Blessings to you.

`

Thank you for posting Ava, and I believe that God has brought you to this site so you might have your questions answered.
From my Christian upbringing and beliefs I personally conclude we are all born with one body and one soul.

KJV 1 Thessalonians 5:23 - "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ". John 17:17 - "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth body, and soul".

If part of you is saved through the salvation of Christ, than I believe you are sanctified and made whole in Christ by the part of you that does.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 1"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the LORD, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the LORD shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the LORD himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the LORD in the air: and so shall we ever be with the LORD. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words".

I believe all of you will be in heaven, because of the part of you that believes. You are still one person, with one soul, with one mind, in one body, no matter how many distinct parts of you choose to express themselves.

27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
[John 14:27 KJV]

Hello Ava,
First of all- Welcome. And I would like to say thank you for sharing this very personal situation with us. I sincerely hope and pray that you find the answers you seek. I want you to know that I will be keeping you in my prayers- all of you.

Although I cannot answer your question as you have asked it... I found a resource/website that may be able to provide some answers for you... based upon scripture. From the sections that I did read, it seemed very informative and looked like it may be helpful. If not for you, then maybe for someone else.

Here is the link

Keep in mind... that no matter how well-meaning and sincere we are in our attempt to help you,
only God himself knows the answer.

I originally began collecting some scriptures to post for you, however I'm not sure that they would serve to answer your specific question. But I will say this... pray for them. Show each of them the same love that we should each have for one another. The greatest thing we can do is to bring others to know Christ, (even if those others are part of you.) It means so much to Him that: 16 ...He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. [John 3:16 KJV]

These alters that you have, have existed for a reason. And just as you have found peace and love through Christ, they deserve to know His love also... and to find rest, comfort, hope, healing, and peace. When you pray... pray for them. When you read scripture... read it out loud.

-------------

We are to love God completely. And trust Him completely.
35 Then one of them, [which was] a lawyer, asked [him a question], tempting him, and saying, 36 Master, which [is] the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. [Matthew 22:35-40 KJV]

------------

We have to fully trust God, and fully believe His word. When we do that, we begin to see amazing things happen in our lives...

(I am not a teacher... and as I said, only God himself knows the answer. You are more than welcome to pm me if you like.. I will do everything I am able to help you search and learn.. and will gladly lend an ear if you just want to talk.)

Thank you for posting Ava, and I believe that God has brought you to this site so you might have your questions answered.
From my Christian upbringing and beliefs I personally conclude we are all born with one body and one soul.

KJV 1 Thessalonians 5:23 - "And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ". John 17:17 - "Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth body, and soul".

If part of you is saved through the salvation of Christ, than I believe you are sanctified and made whole in Christ by the part of you that does.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 1"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15For this we say unto you by the word of the LORD, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the LORD shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16For the LORD himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the LORD in the air: and so shall we ever be with the LORD. 18Wherefore comfort one another with these words".

I believe all of you will be in heaven, because of the part of you that believes. You are still one person, with one soul, with one mind, in one body, no matter how many distinct parts of you choose to express themselves.

Excellently stated!

Hi, I'm Ava 💖

I have a bit of an unusual question. I have Dissociative Identity Disorder, which means I am one of multiple distinct identities, known as alters, in this body. This disorder develops in childhood as a result of extreme and ongoing trauma, when the brain creates dissociative barriers between areas of personality to form distinct identities, as a method of coping with trauma. Now that the brain has learned that fragmenting can help deal with things, new alters can continue to be formed throughout the life, typically in response to new traumas or extreme stress.

We each have different names, personalities, interests, roles, likes, dislikes, goals, genders, sexualities, opinions, dominant hands, reactions to medications, glasses prescriptions, brain scan results, allergies and beliefs. Obviously we aren't literally different people, and we aren't one real person plus extra fake people, we are one person but fragmented, and we feel like and function like separate people.

I am not the one most commonly in control of the body, nor am I the one who identifies with the appearance or name of the body, so if an "original" or "main" alter, it isn't me. I am the only one who is Christian. The rest range from ambivalence about religion to open dislike of it. There are even alters with trauma regarding Christianity, but due to the nature of the disorder I don't know what happened.

My question is: what happens to us when we die? Does this body have multiple souls which go to the appropriate place upon death? Do we share a soul? If so, where will we go?

Note: While I appreciate a variety of perspectives, I am not looking for opinions on how to deal with the disorder itself. Any comments talking about curing the disorder or insinuating that we are demons will simply be ignored as they are not helpful to us and do not answer the question. If you reject the premise of the question you are free to scroll on ☺

Thank you for any input you can give 💖

I am NOT an expert in any way whatsoever so you are welcome to ignore what I say. From what I have read on this says that Dissociative identity disorder involves a lack of connection among a person’s sense of identity, memory and consciousness. People with this disorder do not have more than one personality but rather less than one personality.

This disorder usually arises in response to some kind of physical abuse in childhood as a means of surviving mistreatment by people who should be nurturing and protecting.
(Susannah Grace, CS Ministries 2002)

Does that mean that you have more than one soul to worry about with each personality that your mind manifests. NO is my uneducated response based on what I understand from the Scriptures.

Yes, I agree with this. Ava even said in the OP that she isn't several separate different persons she is one person who's personality became fractured through no fault of her own. From this it follows that all those identities share 1 soul just like they share 1 body.

When I was a young man I was in collage studying to become the kind of doctor who helps folks with various kinds of personality issues. This was back when the story of Sybil became well known. I took a special interest in DiD from back then, although back in those days nothing was known about DiD other than that it exists. I'm happy to say we've made some progress in understanding this disorder, although treating it is still very difficult. From what I know the only way to treat it is through loving acceptance of all the alters. When I think of the Sybil case this makes perfect sense. As far as I know Sybil did improve. The doctor that treated Sybil used a form of therapy where the doctor lets the patient say what she needs to say, and to move along at the patient's own rate. To Sybil this was perceived as loving acceptance which is why she improved.

Ava, I hope you have found someone to help you deal with this.

God Bless

Youtube is filled with videos from different preachers that an help you answer that question. Spiritual growth develops understanding.

Back