Disturbing Patterns

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are at least four 'reality shows' on right now that involve novel and unconventional ways for people to get married. Bad enough that such a serious ceremony and tradition is being undermined by being twisted into this grotesque form of entertainment, but the shows will pay for quicky divorces if things don't work out quite right. Divorce - a tragic and serious event being made light of repeatedly by multiple television shows. Millions of minds of viewers are being manipulated into a mindset that divorce is nothing serious at all, but is more of a mild inconvenience. This is what passes for entertainment these days. I don't know what the answer is other than to guard our own selves, families, and children from viewing this stuff. I myself am growing more impatient daily to see that just when I think it can't get worse, it does. From bad to worse. And then society wonders why our divorce rates are so high - I wonder, however, if "society" even cares much about it anymore.

Apologies . . . had to vent. Even as a young person I took marriage and divorce issues very, very seriously having been the victim of parents divorced when I was 13 years old. Amicable as it was, simple as it was, and easy as it was, it damaged me horribly and changed the entire course of my life. Whether children are involved or not, divorce is a tragedy and there are always victims left in its wake. TV makes it look like divorce is a teeny paper shuffle at a lawyer's office, a quick wipe of the hands, and "merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily life is but a dream".

In thinking about what you wrote... it's the very reason why I really watch as little tv as I can. Give me sermons any day and I will watch and listen for hours.

Many places in the Bible talk about guarding ones heart (inner man, spirit), proverbs 4: 23 says because out of our spirit flow the issues of life.

In my life, I take that very seriously, and as we guard what goes into our spirits, eyes and ears... we protect the Word that has been planted. And thus have a better time of retaining and walking in God's ways and will.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment
Blessings

Cturtle: I had seen the commercials regarding these shows and that was enough for me. "Dung"is a very appropriate term for this type of programming.

Amen! I agree that the commercials are just as bad as the programs. Yikes.

As i was praying and praising the Lord... He reminded me that the devil has a purpose in what's on tv. Its to desensitized each person to not be upset about things that God is against. If the enemy can get us to question or rethink whether something is all that bad... we end up like our mother Eve... and falling into or not standing against the very thing(s) God is opposed to. And it messes up our walk with God.

God bless my friend

Cturtle: I had seen the commercials regarding these shows and that was enough for me. "Dung"is a very appropriate term for this type of programming.

I think you're being kind when you use the word dung. Dung is useful after a fashion. Properly distributed and applied it can help with plant growth.

Personally, I do not see anything as useful as dung in the TV reality shows. Remember that they were invented after a series of writer strikes? The writers were not being given adequate credit and pay for the work they'd done. Even as the strikes went on, TV executives decided to produce reality shows which require no writing. These shows were developed so as to cheat hard working people out of a living they deserved. They do not rise to the level of dung in my opinion. You are being too kind when describing them that way. They are less than useless.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

This is all true - but it was bad before this... It was just a whole lot more subtle... More finely crafted.... Far less "in your face".....

Just think of the first two stanzas of Santa Claus is coming to town....

"You better watch out, You better not pout.
You better not cry I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

He's making a list, checking it twice,
Gonna find out who'se naughty and nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town..."

The OP has not been here in over 15 weeks so this thread will be Temporarily Closed until the OP comes back and wishes to reply.

Thank you for all the replies.
God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back