Do As I Do ... ????????

Dusty

Inactive
Do As I Do ... ????????

3So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach…… Matthew 23:3

We as Christians need to be examples . Our works are our examples and exemplify us as Christian men and women of God . When we love God , we will want to project an image that presents us as different from the world so that the world will see Jesus in us . There is a little expression that is so true --- ~If you live close to God and His infinite grace, you don't have to tell; it shows on your face~.

The saying that we have heard throughout our lives “ Do as I say not as I do “ seems to be vey prevalent in our society , even into Christian thinking.

In Jesus day the Pharisees are a perfect example and had the same problem . Jesus literally told them they were spiritually bankrupt.

These teachers of the laws given by Moses were responsible for expounding the law so that people would walk in Gods’ ways and have a genuine relationship with God . .

They did not practice what they preached . They wanted to bring the honour to themselves and were selfish and full of their own pride .

One example : When Jesus talks about prayer and those who are hypocrites were praying to be seen by men , beating their breasts and saying “ God I thank you that I am not like other men – robbers , evildoers , adulterers , - or even this tax collector ---- Luke 18 : 11 .

Jesus exposed these people for who they were –“ hypocrites “

Our test when following Jesus is not just what we say but how we live . We need to be Jesus model – telling others and doing as the Word says .

We are ‘” living examples “ . A good example preaches a powerful sermon.

3So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach…… Matthew 23:3

We as Christians need to be examples .

That reminds me of something. Have you ever heard a rebellious kid talking with his rebellious parents?

The parents tell him something and knowing they don't do it themselves, he replies
" Practice what you preach"
Then the parents tell him "Do as I say not as I do".

Well they're both wrong. He is being disrespectful and they are being hypocritical like the Pharisees were

That reminds me of something. Have you ever heard a rebellious kid talking with his rebellious parents?

The parents tell him something and knowing they don't do it themselves, he replies
" Practice what you preach"
Then the parents tell him "Do as I say not as I do".

Well they're both wrong. He is being disrespectful and they are being hypocritical like the Pharisees were

That is so true and I have heard that so many times throughout my life as well . Yes both are wrong . How damaging to the child when you think about it and what kind of an example .

We are ‘” living examples “ . A good example preaches a powerful sermon.

We are living epistles, read by all. Like they say, You may be the only Bible some people will ever read. So its important to be a good example. They're watching us, both believers and non believers.

Exactly . Just remember my non - believing neibour saying to me one time . I see you going to church every Sunday morning . How did she know where I was going ? Unless she saw my Bible in hand. People watch .

Back