Do Christians Meditate?

Do Christians meditate or take time out of their day to clear their minds? Is praying different from meditation or the same?

Yes--in a way--maybe not as you think....

13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. 15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. 16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. 1 Tim 13-16

I am thinking you should read through Psalms...

My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes. Psalms 119:48

Prayer & meditation are separate but mutually beneficial to your spiritual life...

Pagan (i.e. Buddhist ) meditation is an emptying of the mind, an attempt to have no thoughts whatsoever.
Christian meditation is focusing the mind on a particular thought or idea so to be able to come to an understanding of the meaning associated or produced by that thought or idea.

Do Christians meditate or take time out of their day to clear their minds? Is praying different from meditation or the same?

Eastern meditation is when a person tries to empty their mind and find some kind of inner peace - which is a false misleading practise as peace, true peace can only come from God. When Christians meditate they fill their minds with Jesus Christ - they seek God in their meditation.

God bless

Glomung said:
Pagan (i.e. Buddhist ) meditation is an emptying of the mind, an attempt to have no thoughts whatsoever.
Christian meditation is focusing the mind on a particular thought or idea so to be able to come to an understanding of the meaning associated or produced by that thought or idea.

There is a type of Christian Contemplative prayer called Centering Prayer, based on the book, "The Cloud of Unkowing," where you keep your mind open to God.

Sometimes during the day I try to get in touch with what Karl Rahner calls the Infinite Silence, which is the silent Presence of God. It is a kind of listening to the "still small voice of God."

Also, the Eastern cultures once knew more about meditation than the west. So, I don't see anything wrong with adapting certain Eastern methods like concentrating on the breath to help reach a quiet state.

There is also the Jesus Prayer, and a great book about it called "The Way of the Pilgrim," in which is repeated the following (or variations of): "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me."

In this day and age of business and rushing around getting things done, there is a need to quiet the mind.

Lastly, a great way to quiet the mind is to pray the Psalms.

We are told to study the scriptures to be approved. And, we are told to "pray without ceasing". This means we are to be constantly listening and constantly talking with God.

If you want to take some time to seek the presence of God, that is great.

Personally, I would avoid every kind of "meditating", and certainly anything from the east. Things have an origin and a root, and do not produce fruit different from the original fruit. We are grafted into the true vine, Jesus. We have no need of anything extra.

"meditate" in scripture means to contemplate seriously. It has nothing to do with focusing on breathing, or heart beats, or the earth beneath you.

Another concern here, is that there is a very strong movement of false Christianity which has adopted many eastern practices- and their demons- and is moving through many states and nations. They encourage meditating, a practice called "soaking", and they heavily emphasis laying on of hands- by everyone onto everyone via a "fire tunnel".

It is great to desire to draw near to God. But, do not mix any leaven into your walk.

There is a type of Christian Contemplative prayer called Centering Prayer, based on the book, "The Cloud of Unkowing," where you keep your mind open to God.

Sometimes during the day I try to get in touch with what Karl Rahner calls the Infinite Silence, which is the silent Presence of God. It is a kind of listening to the "still small voice of God."

Also, the Eastern cultures once knew more about meditation than the west. So, I don't see anything wrong with adapting certain Eastern methods like concentrating on the breath to help reach a quiet state.

There is also the Jesus Prayer, and a great book about it called "The Way of the Pilgrim," in which is repeated the following (or variations of): "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me."

In this day and age of business and rushing around getting things done, there is a need to quiet the mind.

Lastly, a great way to quiet the mind is to pray the Psalms.

I would be very careful here if I were you.

In accepting things from "eastern" religion the ooportunity exists to open the door to a religious system that is totally against the God of the Bible and the Creator of all things.

I have found the best way to calm the mind is to open with this........"Dear God, can I talk with you for awhile................

The English meditation is derived from the Latin meditatio, from a verb meditari, meaning "to think, contemplate, devise, ponder" (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
I meditate on Gods word daily. We should spend as much time in meditation as we do in prayer. It is through meditation that many prayers are answered. God sometimes speaks to our minds during meditation. Through meditating on Gods word, the Holy Ghost shows us all things, and things to come. Meditation is an essential part of being baptized (immersed) in the Holy Spirit.

Back