Do I love my children more than God?

A very pedantic person recently asked me this question:

But:

I am a woman.
I have given birth to 2 sons.
They both grew inside me.

But:

They are now teenagers.
At times I really don't like them, and quite frankly, at times, I have loathed one or the other.

But:

I LOVE them!!! And I love them more than I could possibly ever have imagined loving anyone or anything.

He really pushed me for an answer, and the answer I gave was 'my boys'.

I know Abraham took his son to sacrifice to the Lord.

But:

Abraham wasn't his mother.

Thoughts please x

As a mother, it can be difficult to have a balance, to know where to draw the line so to speak. How to make sure that we keep God first without neglecting our children.

We treat our children with the love that the Father has given us. And we choose to discipline and disciple them as/how the Bible says to. To train them up in the way that God desires (according to the word).

Something I have had to learn was that God loves my children more than I could ever love them. So that means that as I put the Father first, i can trust Him to provide for them, and train them in ways that I cannot. To trust Him to draw them unto Him. My job is to pray for and over them, and to discipline/disciple them, and trust God to do the rest.

Yes we love our children but our relationship with the Lord must come first. The Bible says that if we love our children or mother and father more than God we are not worthy of Him. that's a pretty strong statement.

We have to also make sure that what we do for them is not out of guilt, for what we think they have missed out on because of our mistakes. Do we not correct them because of our guilt? Do we over correct them because they remind us of their fathers? Or even ourselves? Do we put to much or to little on their plate of responsibility for one reason or another?

Lots of things to think about for sure!

My job is not to sacrifice them on any alter, but am I treating them and raising them like God would have me to? That's the million dollar question. And does how I treat them get in the way of my relationship with the Lord?

Blessings to you and your boys!

Dear Annie, thank you for commenting on my "Welcome" thread. I'm so surprised that my first ever reply to a thread that isn't my own, just happens to be from you.

I'm not a mother but I am a son.
My mom tells me that I am God's assignment to her. She says God trusted her to be a responsible mother and so He allowed me to be born into her family (His gift to her). I am God's child before I am her son and because of that she doesn't have to choose between God or me. She loves me with all her heart, yet still accepts that God loves me infinitely more.

Other benefits are:
1. She doesn't fret when I am away from her (on a field trip, gone overseas, out late nights) because she knows that if she cares for my safety then God cares that much more, and He will make sure I am safe.
2. She doesn't worry (unnecessarily) about my spiritual well-being and my relationship with God because my Father in heaven is more concerned about me than she is. He will see things through.
3. When unexpected things happen in my life, she won't even think to blame God because God allowed it to happen and He has a plan and purpose for me in all of it.

On a separate note: One way to look at the story of Abraham and Isaac - instead of testing Abraham to see if he loved God more or his son, look at it as a test to see if Abraham believed that God is the one who loved Isaac most.

Thank you all. Lots.

After I'd given my response (to the pedantic person), I came home and was in knots about how I'd responded. How DID I feel about everything? Am I a terrible Christian? Am I a terrible person?

I was also in knots about posting what happened. Really, I was in a bit of a state.

When clearly I needn't have been.

FCJ: Lightened my mood and put things in perspective. Thank you.

Cturtle: God loves my kids more than I ever could. Thank you.

FPTP: I don't have to worry so much, because God is looking out for them. Thank you. (Or thanks to your mum:))

And now I feel better, From Pieces To Peace, I'm always going to think of you as Kookaburra:)

Last edited:
Thank you all. Lots.

After I'd given my response (to the pedantic person), I came home and was in knots about how I'd responded. How DID I feel about everything? Am I a terrible Christian? Am I a terrible person?

I was also in knots about posting what happened. Really, I was in a bit of a state.

FPTP: I don't have to worry so much, because God is looking out for them. Thank you. (Or thanks to your mum:))

And now I feel better, From Pieces To Peace, I'm always going to think of you as Kookaburra:)

Matthew 10:37 says..........
"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me".

Jesus is not advocating that one hate his father or not love his father. What He is saying is that God must be loved supremely and He must be our First love. We can not allow our love for our parents or our children to be stronger than our love for the Lord. If it was not for God there would be no family members to love so then He must be our first and best love.

As usual, brothers and sisters have given wonderful responses! I will just add my thoughts. I am not a mother, but father. As already said, the most important thing to remember is that God loves our children even more than us. And His love for us is much greater than our love for our children. When we understand this love, we would then reciprocate our love to God. Our love to God would not be distracted by our love for children.

It does not matter if you are male or female. If you want to put God first then everything else takes second, including children.

This does not say neglect your children or anything else.

My kids need new soccer shoes so I can't tithe. Lol That's just one of many things
Blessings
FCJ

He who does not meet the needs of their family (as best they can) is worse than an infidel...God loves a cheerful giver and tithes are more than dollars (whose image is one them? Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's)...each week on the 1st day set apart what you can for God...do this as faithfully as you are able...you are no longer under the LAW and tithing for Christians encompasses all of your being and service not your money...most popular pastors insisting on tithes this day are charlatans and keep way too much for themselves (use the word for the acquisition of filthy lucre)

Try to get your kids what they need and do not fall under judgment, in fact thank GOd for providing, He has paid it ALL

Love God most and put Him first...He is not your money...think on this...I am not a Roman Catholic but Mother Teresa never tithed (had very little money) but took all she had and gave it to meet the needs of others in Christ's name....with NO MONEY they started over 150 schools (which also educated women) and Hospitals (for any who were ill, Christian or otherwise) in an area of the world where Christians were and are persecuted...She was self denying and as Christ to others (as His body here in this world)....just let them know it is because of God that they have these blessings and let them see you bless others for Him (give Him all the praise and glory)

Last edited:
He who does not meet the needs of their family (as best they can) is worse than an infidel...God loves a cheerful giver and tithes are more than dollars (whose image is one them? Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's)...each week on the 1st day set apart what you can for God...do this as faithfully as you are able...you are no longer under the LAW and tithing for Christians encompasses all of your being and service not your money...most popular pastors insisting on tithes this day are charlatans and keep way too much for themselves (use the word for the acquisition of filthy lucre)

Try to get your kids what they need and do not fall under judgment, in fact thank GOd for providing, He has paid it ALL

Love God most and put Him first...He is not your money...think on this...I am not a Roman Catholic but Mother Teresa never tithed (had very little money) but took all she had and gave it to meet the needs of others in Christ's name....with NO MONEY they started over 150 schools (which also educated women) and Hospitals (for any who were ill, Christian or otherwise) in an area of the world where Christians were and are persecuted...She was self denying and as Christ to others (as His body here in this world)....just let them know it is because of God that they have these blessings and let them see you bless others for Him (give Him all the praise and glory)

Matthew 23:23 does not seem to agree with you Paul.
“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone. "

Isn't Jesus plainly telling us that tithing should indeed be practiced, along with sincere adherence to the “weightier” spiritual matters of the law the scribes and Pharisees were obviously neglecting. In the Old Testament, God had instructed the Israelites to support the tribe of Levi for its service to God at the temple and throughout the land by giving to the Levites God's tithe—a tithe being a tenth of one's increase.

When we explore the New Testament and the experiences of the early Church, we should carefully consider the fact that the emergence of the Church did not herald a radical departure from the religious practices of the nation of Israel.

Not until several decades after the founding of the New Testament Church does the book of Hebrews clarify the impact the new spiritual administration of Christ had on the Church and the existing priesthood. Most of the laws relating to Israel were not annulled, but they were sometimes applied differently, especially after the destruction of the temple.

Please stick to using Scripture in Context.

We can not twist scripture and run them together to say things they do not.

There will be No bashing Any Preacher (servant of God) what so ever by any one.

There can be no falsely accusing any one about taking too much money via tithe or anything. This stems from from being outside looking in.
There is No truth to back this up Because
We do not know what was given for what or where the Servant of God was blessed from.

This type of post only cause arguments and will not be tolerated.
Please be Respectful of the O.P and stay on topic.

My Apologies to you Annie

Blessings
FCJ

Moderators Request

We need to get back on Topic with this thread.

This is not a thread about Tithing.
Further More
1. Tithe
2. Offerings
3. First Fruits
4. Alms
These are Four Completely Different Areas of Biblical Giving.

Blessings
FCJ

Thank you all. Lots.

I thought "Kookaburra" was a bird????

Friendly Warning.
Please stay with the O.P

Rule 1.2 This is a strictly Moderated forum. The owners and staff of Christian Forum Site reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. (Note: Staff includes Administrator, Moderators and Helpers)

Rule 2.3 Members starting threads on specific topics expect that the threads will stay essentially on topic. Any member, other than the person starting the thread, who takes a specific thread way off topic and derails the content of the thread will be given a friendly staff notice. A second derailment or continuation of the off topic direction by that member will result in a warning and all non topical posts in that thread will be eliminated. A third off topic hijacking by that member will result in a 1 week time out and all non topical posts in that thread will be eliminated. A fourth offense will result in a permanent ban and all posts by that member will be removed from CFS.

most popular pastors insisting on tithes this day are charlatans and keep way too much for themselves (use the word for the acquisition of filthy lucre)

That just starts arguments and brings no edifying.

most popular pastors insisting on tithes this day are charlatans and keep way too much for themselves (use the word for the acquisition of filthy lucre)

That just starts arguments and brings no edifying.

Ah yes...I can see how some would react to that...I will try and be more careful but the warning does come from both Peter and Paul.

A very pedantic person recently asked me this question:

But:

I am a woman.
I have given birth to 2 sons.
They both grew inside me.

But:

They are now teenagers.
At times I really don't like them, and quite frankly, at times, I have loathed one or the other.

But:

I LOVE them!!! And I love them more than I could possibly ever have imagined loving anyone or anything.

He really pushed me for an answer, and the answer I gave was 'my boys'.

I know Abraham took his son to sacrifice to the Lord.

But:

Abraham wasn't his mother.

Thoughts please x

Yes a mother's love is special...

Back