Do We Sometimes Go A Bit Too Far?

The below are the verses which I'll be preaching on this Sunday and every time I read it, I wonder if I go too far sometimes when it comes to debates. Now I'm all for spirited and passionate debates about the scriptures, I encourage it within the assembly but do we sometimes take it too far in light of the below instructions? I'd be interested in your thought for this Sunday's sermon ( along with the healing of little Natilie of course!!)

P.s - Not trying to spoil the fun, just a thought...

Rom 14:1) "...Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind..... I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean..." - Respect and tolerance....

Last edited:
Have you read the chapter in the paraphrase, The Message? It's good there, too!

Liking this:

10-12 So where does that leave you when you criticize a brother? And where does that leave you when you condescend to a sister? I’d say it leaves you looking pretty silly—or worse. Eventually, we’re all going to end up kneeling side by side in the place of judgment, facing God. Your critical and condescending ways aren’t going to improve your position there one bit. Read it for yourself in Scripture:

“As I live and breathe,” God says,
“every knee will bow before me;
Every tongue will tell the honest truth
that I and only I am God.”

So tend to your knitting. You’ve got your hands full just taking care of your own life before God.

Liking this:

10-12 So where does that leave you when you criticize a brother? And where does that leave you when you condescend to a sister? I’d say it leaves you looking pretty silly—or worse. Eventually, we’re all going to end up kneeling side by side in the place of judgment, facing God. Your critical and condescending ways aren’t going to improve your position there one bit. Read it for yourself in Scripture:

So tend to your knitting. You’ve got your hands full just taking care of your own life before God.

I like it yes, condescending is a good word for the passage. It just strikes me that we can all be guilty at times of going a little far and I'm just as guilty as any yet in the context of this passage, Paul is instructing us to basically respect each other's beliefs. I think there is a line though, we need to have spirited debates between us, it's how we come to truth but i think it's the manner in which we put ourselves across. Again, I'm as guilty as any....

I think the main point to the quoted scriptures is that we do not cause our brother or sister in Christ to stumble. Only the Holy Spirit can open one's eyes to the interpretation of the scriptures. The hope behind a spiritual discussion is to fuel the spark to become a flame (thoughts to become prayers). We also have to be open to the fact that this will be a two-way street. As hard as it is to believe, I'm not always right (I mentally visualize my wife laughing out loud) and must listen to the other person's viewpoint as well.

I think the main point to the quoted scriptures is that we do not cause our brother or sister in Christ to stumble. Only the Holy Spirit can open one's eyes to the interpretation of the scriptures. The hope behind a spiritual discussion is to fuel the spark to become a flame (thoughts to become prayers). We also have to be open to the fact that this will be a two-way street. As hard as it is to believe, I'm not always right (I mentally visualize my wife laughing out loud) and must listen to the other person's viewpoint as well.

Yes I agree that is one of the main points of the texts but one major aspect Paul and therefore God, was trying to discourage was unfruitful focus and jusgement on the less important aspects of another's beliefs by putting them in their correct light i.e, the Love of God (to love one another) is the chief. Like Paul said, the Kingdom is more than meat and drink. I'm with you, I'm certainly not always right and i certainly need to listen more and respect other's views

Yes I agree that is one of the main points of the texts but one major aspect Paul and therefore God, was trying to discourage was unfruitful focus and jusgement on the less important aspects of another's beliefs by putting them in their correct light i.e, the Love of God (to love one another) is the chief. Like Paul said, the Kingdom is more than meat and drink. I'm with you, I'm certainly not always right and i certainly need to listen more and respect other's views
Yes.. I think it applies to all discussions like tattoos and so many other things.. It is also culture dependent.. For example, in India no one is going to raise questions on tattoo.. Socially it is something accepted to be wrong.. Same goes with drinking.. No one argues whether drinking is acceptable.. Because drinking is not acceptable socially.. There are certain other aspects, which are moral in nature.. For example, homosexual marriages.. It is not culture dependent.. Or society dependent.. The way I take it is, there are cultural things, which we should not be wasting time arguing.. Biblical morality is something that can be applied in poorest of all nations or richest of all nations..

Yes.. I think it applies to all discussions like tattoos and so many other things.. It is also culture dependent.. For example, in India no one is going to raise questions on tattoo.. Socially it is something accepted to be wrong.. Same goes with drinking.. No one argues whether drinking is acceptable.. Because drinking is not acceptable socially.. There are certain other aspects, which are moral in nature.. For example, homosexual marriages.. It is not culture dependent.. Or society dependent.. The way I take it is, there are cultural things, which we should not be wasting time arguing.. Biblical morality is something that can be applied in poorest of all nations or richest of all nations..

I agree, I find it quite sad about the cultural aspect because are we not meant to now be part of the worldwide body and community of Jesus Christ, seperated from the world and living by his Word?

What exactly were you going to debate? The passage is fairly straightforward.

This passage reminds me of the Baptists I spent a lot of time around in my youth.
They would not play cards, dance, or drink alcohol (though many of them were fond of adultery).
Religious people have a bad habit of getting caught up in trivia and legalism.
It's not the "what" but the "why" that tends to make actions a sin.
A bunch of adults getting toegther to play Bridge is perfectly acceptable.
Going into debt playing Blackjack is obviously a sin.

The below are the verses which I'll be preaching on this Sunday and every time I read it, I wonder if I go too far sometimes when it comes to debates. Now I'm all for spirited and passionate debates about the scriptures, I encourage it within the assembly but do we sometimes take it too far in light of the below instructions? I'd be interested in your thought for this Sunday's sermon ( along with the healing of little Natilie of course!!)

P.s - Not trying to spoil the fun, just a thought...

Rom 14:1) "...Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind..... I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean..." - Respect and tolerance....

There are many ways to win a debate and still not be right. Truth needs to be discerned in the presence of elders / wise council Prov 24:6. The preacher needs to be in submission to them.

I think we are all guilty of going too far in debates. We can do so much damage when correcting someone with no love. I am reminded of how the Holy Spirit who teaches us is also called the comforter. Do those who disagree with us think of us as a comforter?

Rom 14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions.(ESV)

There are those who come into a new fellowship group of believers, and they should be welcomed as a brother/sister in the Lord.
They should not be admitted just so they can be debated on whether what they believe is true or not, as all Christians are at different levels in their walk with the Lord. Notice it says "quarrels over opinions" Truth is not based on "opinions" but truth is revealed by the Spirit of God. Then on the other hand there are those who are not true children of God who come just to debate and try and cause dissention between the brothers. They should not be allowed into fellowship for that purpose.

I think its important to understand the difference between what Paul is teaching here in Romans and what He teaches in Galatians? Here he is speaking of a believer coming into the truth and liberty of the gospel. In Galatians, he is speaking of those who have placed themselves in the position as being a "teacher" and trying to corrupt and judge the liberty of the gospel of grace. HUGE difference between these two aspects of our liberty and how we debate and discuss the truth. Paul did not yield the liberty and grace we have in Christ for a moment, when he came into contact with false teachers and those in error, even as Peter was! But in love we might surrender or liberty to win a person to Christ, or to bring them into liberty with us. But Paul is not suggesting for a moment that we submit to false teaching!

Liking this:

Euph, I have never read The Message. That's a really jolly reading! Thank you!

There are many ways to win a debate and still not be right. Truth needs to be discerned in the presence of elders / wise council Prov 24:6. The preacher needs to be in submission to them.

I think we are all guilty of going too far in debates. We can do so much damage when correcting someone with no love. I am reminded of how the Holy Spirit who teaches us is also called the comforter. Do those who disagree with us think of us as a comforter?

I think that'sa great point KingJ, I find this message in Romans a tremendously powerful one because of course in the context of NT Espitles, there was always friction between Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians with many questions and views. I think in thsi passage, Paul is encouraging tolerance of each othe beliefs which are neither right or wrong, ie one who eats meat and one who doesn't. I believe the whole point of the chapter is recognising that true love, liberty and grace are of chief importance and not the unimportant actions of Christianity. Great point though, comforter, I like it...

Back