Do You Believe Atheists "choose" To Go To Hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not all atheists are against God or something like that, some atheists just don't feel God anywhere because they are not born again and they also believe that God is too good to be true, but then there are these mean atheists who call us and even witches delusional. And some atheists are probably just possessed too.

In the end, it comes down to being hostile to God.

Romans 8:7 (NLT)
For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will.

God's word addresses that, and I have posted the scripture. Do you have any scripture that attests to your POV?
Yes, it does, but the point being that there are places on this earth where the name of Jesus is not know is entirely possible and you probably won't find Scripture to prove it.

No. We who know Jesus Christ have the mind of Christ.
And if someone claims to "know" Christ better than you do, what then? The point I'm getting at is that anyone who is a Christian can feel they "have the mind of Christ" but that alone does not make them right. They may simply be arrogant or deluded.

I don't think this is really an issue of that though. I think it's simply a matter of believing someone when they tell me that they say they have no belief in God and not claiming to know their own minds better than they do themselves. If they tell me they've had no revelation of Christ, or have never felt the presence of Christ, or simply don't believe, why would I (or you) tell them "Yes you do, you are being rebellious and you hate God?" I tend to take people at their word.

Do you have any scripture that attests to your POV?
No, I make it a point not to quote scripture, especially with other Christians, since I've seen people make scripture support anything they want it to, and because it all too easily can turn into a scripture-quoting contest.

And if someone claims to "know" Christ better than you do, what then? The point I'm getting at is that anyone who is a Christian can feel they "have the mind of Christ" but that alone does not make them right. They may simply be arrogant or deluded.

The depth of intimacy with the Lord is not what this is about. the point I am making is that we who are Christ's are told by God that we have the mind of Christ. We ought to take that seriously and make sure we are not deluded or deceived---or are deceiving others.

This is all beside the point, as I was actually commenting on the fact that people in general, outside of Christ, have darkened minds, and now you have made it into something else.

I don't think this is really an issue of that though. I think it's simply a matter of believing someone when they tell me that they say they have no belief in God and not claiming to know their own minds better than they do themselves. If they tell me they've had no revelation of Christ, or have never felt the presence of Christ, or simply don't believe, why would I (or you) tell them "Yes you do, you are being rebellious and you hate God?" I tend to take people at their word.

When an atheist tells me he doesn't believe in God, why should I think that they are telling me something they think isn't true for them? My point is from scripture that says no one has any excuse to deny God, for He gives all many opportunities to know of His existence. Atheists may be self-convinced, but they are in denial. We need to lovingly take the gospel message to them.

No, I make it a point not to quote scripture, especially with other Christians, since I've seen people make scripture support anything they want it to, and because it all too easily can turn into a scripture-quoting contest.

I didn't think you had any.

I know many atheists and engage them in conversation quite a lot on the subject of faith and belief, and I don't think as many do that atheists are angry at God or simply being rebellious. I've seen the statement made that they are consciously choosing hell and while I disagree with the atheists, I do legitimately believe that they are not angry with God or in denial or anything of the sort, I think they just don't believe there's a God there at all.
Scratch harder. There is nothing hard to grasp in Psalm 14:1 The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.

I'm not going to do as you do and speak on behalf of God, or for that matter other Christians and certainly not atheists whose experiences in this life are not my experiences. And I'm not going to presumptuously tell them that I know their own minds better than they do.
:) But...a Christian ...knows and believes scripture is truth...so in a sense we can / do / should know their minds....as we are told of their heart....the heart you / we 'had'...Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
If an atheists tells me - and many have - that they simply see no evidence for God, I'm not going to assume they are lying and are actually rebelling against a God they don't believe exists.I entirely trust what God says. It's your interpretation of what God says that I don't trust

Why do you think God gives us this verse? Matt 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away.

Why did the resurrected Jesus NOT appear to the unbelievers / atheists at the time? You think seeing God will change an atheists heart? You think God is hiding? You think God will not come in when they open the door to Him? You think they are being honest with God? You think they are being honest with you? You think God can't see their heart? You think God is dumb? You think God believes them when they say they are not accepting Jesus because they don't believe Him or God even exist?

God is not dumb. God does not jump through hoops for evil men. Evidence of God is all around us. Evidence of Jesus....the only evidence God really cares about sharing with us....ONLY comes when we bend the knee and repent of our sins Palm 51:17, Matt 16:24 and 1 Cor 12:3. Challenge atheists to do that....instead of believing what they say....when they are (you should know) of their father the devil, the father of lies John 8:44....instead of the typical Christian strategy of trying to convince them that our religion is true and God is real....and then we start losing our own faith...because many forget why they are a Christian....:whistle:.

Last edited:
This is all beside the point, as I was actually commenting on the fact that people in general, outside of Christ, have darkened minds, and now you have made it into something else.
I see them as people who make the choice to live differently than we do and respect that decision. I am not going to cast judgement on on them because I'm not God. Neither are you. And so I'm not quite sure what gives you the right to suggest that people have "darkened minds" - is it really your place to say that?

When an atheist tells me he doesn't believe in God, why should I think that they are telling me something they think isn't true for them? My point is from scripture that says no one has any excuse to deny God, for He gives all many opportunities to know of His existence. Atheists may be self-convinced, but they are in denial. We need to lovingly take the gospel message to them.
I don't see anything loving in telling people they have been deceived or have "darkened minds." I don't see anything loving in telling people to their faces that they aren't telling the truth when they simply state they have no belief in a God. If God has an issue with that, I think God is very prepared to deal with that.
I didn't think you had any.
I can give you plenty, but I've seen what you do with them. I've already been told that "Judge not, lest ye be judged" doesn't apply to you because you are giving a "righteous judgement". Twisting scripture does no one any good, so it is pointless to quote it.

I see them as people who make the choice to live differently than we do and respect that decision. I am not going to cast judgement on on them because I'm not God. Neither are you. And so I'm not quite sure what gives you the right to suggest that people have "darkened minds" - is it really your place to say that?

Yes, it is our place to say that. So, in the end of the day, do you think that people who reject God and His gift of salvation don't need to hear the gospel message from you?

I don't see anything loving in telling people they have been deceived or have "darkened minds." I don't see anything loving in telling people to their faces that they aren't telling the truth when they simply state they have no belief in a God. If God has an issue with that, I think God is very prepared to deal with that.

Now why would I approach a person whom God loves and desires and tell them such a thing? Do you not understand about the discussions that go between Christians around here?

God does have an issue with people who deny Him and that is why He chooses to use us to tell them about Him and to show them His love.

I can give you plenty, but I've seen what you do with them. I've already been told that "Judge not, lest ye be judged" doesn't apply to you because you are giving a "righteous judgement". Twisting scripture does no one any good, so it is pointless to quote it.

You've seen nothing of the kind. You indeed do seem to need some teaching on righteous judgment---the kind we are called to use. I would dearly love to see you post scripture that is appropriate, and really lends to your POV.

Last edited:
Yes, it is our place to say that. So, in the end of the day, do you think that people who reject God and His gift of salvation don't need to hear the gospel message from you?
They have already heard it and they have made their own minds up what to do with it. I can annoy them with proselytizing or I can respect them as human beings to make up their own mind. As I said, if God doesn't like that, God will deal with it. I'm not God.
Now why would I approach a person whom God loves and desires and tell them such a thing?
I don't know why you do it. Would you care to explain?
God does have an issue with people who deny Him and that is why He chooses to use us to tell them about Him and to show them His love.
There comes a time when you have done what you can do and you let God take it from here. It's not for us to annoy people and judge and curse and proselytize.
You've seen nothing of the kind. You indeed do seem to need some teaching on righteous judgment---the kind we are called to use. I would dearly love to see you post scripture that is appropriate, and really lends to your POV.
I'm not playing that game, sorry. I live my Christianity, I don't just sit back and quote it.

Now, as for the OP's title question...do atheists actually choose hell? I think if they really knew what the choice is before them, they would not choose it. They are in ignorance of the truth and out of that ignorance, they choose their own way, which is contrary to God and will lead them to damnation.

Isaiah 53:5-6 (GW)
He was wounded for our rebellious acts.
He was crushed for our sins.
He was punished so that we could have peace,
and we received healing from his wounds.

6 We have all strayed like sheep.
Each one of us has turned to go his own way,
and the Lord has laid all our sins on him.

Now, as for the OP's title question...do atheists actually choose hell? I think if they really knew what the choice is before them, they would not choose it. They are in ignorance of the truth and out of that ignorance, they choose their own way, which is contrary to God and will lead them to damnation.

Isaiah 53:5-6 (GW)
He was wounded for our rebellious acts.
He was crushed for our sins.
He was punished so that we could have peace,
and we received healing from his wounds.

6 We have all strayed like sheep.
Each one of us has turned to go his own way,
and the Lord has laid all our sins on him.
I suggest they do know their choice, which is offensive to you. Yet that is the choice they make.

"Ignorance" to me suggests ignorance of the Bible. Since there are several ways of interpreting the Bible, they have made one choice and we have made another. Again, are we God? Is it our place to judge their choice? Why should we not leave that choice to God?

They have already heard it and they have made their own minds up what to do with it. I can annoy them with proselytizing or I can respect them as human beings to make up their own mind. As I said, if God doesn't like that, God will deal with it. I'm not God.

That is true---we can only offer them the truth, and not belabor it. After that, it is for us to live our faith before them. I can only reiterate that I do not believe an atheist really knows the truth. If he could perceive it, he wouldn't be an atheist.

I don't do it. Never will. See how you have jumped to conclusions?

There comes a time when you have done what you can do and you let God take it from here. It's not for us to annoy people and judge and curse and proselytize.

As I said before---that is true. It takes only a modicum of Godly wisdom to know when to be quiet and let the Lord deal with them.

I'm not playing that game, sorry.

No game. I think it is unfair for you to claim it is.

I live my Christianity, I don't just sit back and quote it.

Me, too. However, when you have been asked to provide scripture that supports your opinion, it is only proper to provide it, or at least try to.

Last edited:
I suggest they do know their choice, which is offensive to you. Yet that is the choice they make.

"Ignorance" to me suggests ignorance of the Bible. Since there are several ways of interpreting the Bible, they have made one choice and we have made another. Again, are we God? Is it our place to judge their choice? Why should we not leave that choice to God?

Their choice to reject God offends God. "Ignorance" in this case, is ignorance of the truth, of which there is only one way to interpret. Jesus Christ is our salvation. Without Him, we will never see the Kingdom.

Have you led anyone to Christ?

I'm not playing that game, sorry. I live my Christianity, I don't just sit back and quote it.
You are so unbiblical, WE ARE SUPPOSE TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL.

You are so unbiblical, WE ARE SUPPOSE TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL.

How so? I was saying how can God reveal Himself through NATURE if you are living in a city? I think it's easy to feel there is a creator when you're sitting in a field watching deer walk around at sunset but that isn't what city people see. Are people going to feel the presence of God from that one tree that they have in their yard? I don't think so, even though it's possible.

Did you just edit your post?

Anyway, if you're going to say my posts are unbiblical at least pick a post that can make sense with your response.

There are some that are rebellious, but I've met many people that just don't believe there is any god. They are generally people that either like science or believe that scientists have proven there is no god, which is impossible.

I don't think that atheists choose to go to hell. I know a few people that have tried praying and reading the Bible and they just get no response. I think that's bothersome, honestly. Some people are genuinely seeking the truth and they don't get led to Christianity but instead into atheism or another religion. I don't really understand it.
they lead themselves to atheism or another 'religion', not the other way around.

How so? I was saying how can God reveal Himself through NATURE if you are living in a city? I think it's easy to feel there is a creator when you're sitting in a field watching deer walk around at sunset but that isn't what city people see. Are people going to feel the presence of God from that one tree that they have in their yard? I don't think so, even though it's possible.

Did you just edit your post?

Anyway, if you're going to say my posts are unbiblical at least pick a post that can make sense with your response.
I accidentally responded to you, that is why I edited my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back