Do You Know The Basics Of Religion?

James 1:26-27 "If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue(ie and do not Make/Keep its faith/belief Good and Clean/Non-evil), but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit(ie to Care/Serve on) the fatherless(ie the non-believers) and widows(ie the problematic believers) in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world(ie from the spiritual uncleans).",

James 3:1-18 "My brethren, be not many masters(ie not be gods(be/stay true/real servents)), knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word(ie in the religious/spiritual word/wisdom), the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue(ie the faith/belief) is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue(ie the human faith/belief/religion/spirituality) is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire(ie reverse) the course of nature; and it is set on fire(ie power/force) of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue(ie the human faith/belief/religion/spirituality) can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be(ie must be only Good(-ness)/Blessing and non-evil/non-cursing). Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly(ie satanic), sensual(ie from the satanic spirituality), devilish. For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace."

Dunno. For Christianity, Christ and His teaching:

‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

??

Dunno. For Christianity, Christ and His teaching:

‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

??

But before loving GOD, we need to identify HIM.

Who was the GOD in the Old Testament?
Who was the GOD during the time of Christ?
Who is the One True GOD today?

I'll adapt a quote I saw Lynne post ealier:

For all three questions, He is the God who reveals Himself as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. There only has been and will be one true God.

The basics of all religions is MORALITY. That is why many people say all RELIGIONS are good.

I may be wrong and stand to be corrected but I disagree with this one. I think atheists have morals too. I also think atheists can use their morality to say religion is bad. It really comes down to which bits fit in or otherwise with their own rights and wrongs.

I may be wrong and stand to be corrected but I disagree with this one. I think atheists have morals too. I also think atheists can use their morality to say religion is bad. It really comes down to which bits fit in or otherwise with their own rights and wrongs.

MORALITY is the basis of RELIGIOSITY
Jesus Christ preached SPIRITUALY and the religious people could not understand Him, leading Him to His death on the CROSS.

MORALITY is the basis of RELIGIOSITY
Jesus Christ preached SPIRITUALY and the religious people could not understand Him, leading Him to His death on the CROSS.
All caps is shouting or screaming and is not Christian behavior and, very, seldom will it produce intelligent verbal discourse! Jesus, God in the flesh of a man, did, indeed, teach Spirituality but it had nothing to do with His time spent on the cross. Jesus did not come to save the religious and He did not come to establish a religion called Christianity! He came to reset the condition He created in the Garden between Himself and mankind, a relationship! The relationship, taught in the Ten Commandments, the Creation Story and all the rest of the Original Bible, had been corkscrewed into a religion of accomplishments and was no less a perversion of the truth than is the "Religion" known as Christianity today.

God, in the New Testament (The best Life Application Commentary ever written on the Bible) is still busy instructing and leading us into a Father/Child and Brother/Sister relationship, not into building a Religion! People, over the last 6,000+ years have structured the many colored, tinted and hued religions based on hate, love, nationality and every other thing in this world, including the misunderstanding of the doctrine taught by My Lord, Jesus!

All caps is shouting or screaming and is not Christian behavior and, very, seldom will it produce intelligent verbal discourse! Jesus, God in the flesh of a man, did, indeed, teach Spirituality but it had nothing to do with His time spent on the cross. Jesus did not come to save the religious and He did not come to establish a religion called Christianity! He came to reset the condition He created in the Garden between Himself and mankind, a relationship! The relationship, taught in the Ten Commandments, the Creation Story and all the rest of the Original Bible, had been corkscrewed into a religion of accomplishments and was no less a perversion of the truth than is the "Religion" known as Christianity today.

God, in the New Testament (The best Life Application Commentary ever written on the Bible) is still busy instructing and leading us into a Father/Child and Brother/Sister relationship, not into building a Religion! People, over the last 6,000+ years have structured the many colored, tinted and hued religions based on hate, love, nationality and every other thing in this world, including the misunderstanding of the doctrine taught by My Lord, Jesus!

How could the foregoing assumptions relate or reconcile with the following truth:

That there is only One God, the "Father"

* Isa 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Man needs redemption from the Fall, and the Father answered the "call" in the form of a "covenant or testament"

* Gen 9:9 And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;

This is the condition or term of the covenant or testament:

* Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

* Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

Thus, it necessitated "manifestation in the flesh of the Testator!

* 1 Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Who could answer the foregoing truth but Jesus Christ!

* Phi 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

* Phi 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

* Phi 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Confirmation of the foregoing by Jesus Christ Himself!

* Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus as the Christ is the Truth!
Jesus is the Father in the flesh! This is the primary role of Jesus Christ! Thus,

* 1 Joh 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us ...

Jesus the "Anointed One the "eldest Son of God" is the "way!" This is the secondary role of Jesus Christ!

* Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

* 1 Pet 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:

The foregoing is the "miracle" of clearly identifying Jesus Christ demonstrated to Simon Peter:

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

OK..........some good answers. 1st of all allow me to define "religion".

1. From The Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry:

"An organized system of belief that generally seeks to understand purpose, meaning, goals, and methods of spiritual things. These spiritual things can be God, people in relation to God, salvation, after life, purpose of life, order of the cosmos.​

Now, in every "religion" there are BASICS that pertain to that particular faith and they all differ.

Then when we understand that simple fact, we can then move onto say that every faith then has, ABSOLUTES.

"Absolutes" are beliefs that CANNOT be denied and still be a partacker in a specified religion. In Christianity, there seems to be a thinking that a person can believe this and that and then something else and in the end he will still be a Christian and go to heaven.

Since this is the Bible Study part of this web site, I thought that I would do just that. Explain the Biblical understanding of "absolutes" than simply cannot be denied and still be a Chriostian.

1. Jesus is both God and Man.
JOHN 5:18...."There fore the Jews sought to kill him because he not only had broken the
sabbeth but said that God was his Father making him equal to God".

Luke 2:52......"And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and man".

2. The Resurrection.
Matthew 28:6...."He is not here: for He is risen as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord
lay".

3. Salvation is by Grace PLUS NOTHING.
Ephesians 2:8......"For by GRACE are you saved AND NOT OF YOURSELVES, it is the gift
of God not of works lest any man should boast".

4. Gospel.
1 Corth. 15:1... "Moreover brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto
you, which also ye have received and wherein you stand".
3b-4. Christ DIED for our sins according to the Scriptures. And that he was buried and that
he rose again the third day according to the Scriptures.

The "gospel" is the death, burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.
It is both a proposition and a person.

5. Virgin Birth.
Luke 1:27............ "To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph of the house of
David and the virgin's name was Mary."

6. Trinity.
Matt. 28:19......... "Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the
Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost".

7. Rapture.
1 Thess. 4:14-17........."For if we believe that Jeus died and rose again, even so them also
which have died in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the Word
of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent
them which have died. For the Lord himself shall desend from heaven with a shout, with the
voice of the archangel and with the trumo of God and the dead in Christ shall rise first, and
then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to
meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord".

8. Second Coming of Christ.
Revelation 19:11.........."And I saw heaven opened and behold a white hourse, and he that sat
upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteouseness he doth judge and make war".

I know that some will not agree with these "basics", and there will be some that will want to add more to it. Before you disagree about the ones listed.......read the Bible verse given and explain them first before discounting them.

God bless you for reading this.

Good day!​

Back