Do you use original languages in bible study and teaching?

I'm always spending time in word studies. Over the last year I've also been learning Greek grammar and a little Hebrew Grammar. I find both to be very helpful in clarifying scriptures.

I have several Hardback tools in my library and I use blueletterbible.com. Especially for the feature of looking up topics, all other uses of a Greek or Hebrew word. I also downloaded Benner's Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible.

cp

I'm always spending time in word studies. Over the last year I've also been learning Greek grammar and a little Hebrew Grammar. I find both to be very helpful in clarifying scriptures.

I have several Hardback tools in my library and I use blueletterbible.com. Especially for the feature of looking up topics, all other uses of a Greek or Hebrew word. I also downloaded Benner's Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible.

cp
My problem was that I went crazy early on, buying greek and hebrew books never could actually use, as just now getting around to be able to get anythuing from them!

I understand what you mean. I have a core group of books I use a lot and some that hardly see the light of day. In part because I pickup treasures when I look in secondhand thrift stores and haunt used bookstores. One of my favorite haunts is Half-Priced Books.

cp

Just nowe strarting to use the AT Robinson Greek Grammar big monster like around 1200 pages!

Haven't seen that one. Most of my Greek grammar research I've been doing online and out of the current books that I have. I'm on the look out for others though to supplement that research. Honestly though there is a lot of good material online when I have questions. In time I'll find a good grammar text on one of my treasure hunts.

cp

I like Evangelical Dictionary, Wilmington's, Bible.is, BibleGateway.com, Strong's. eSword, Logos, G. Campbell Morgan, etc.

***My caution to new believers though, is don't get caught up reading other people's assessments of God's Word and end up establishing a new doctrine. There are a million new books published each year and it seems every known name has at least one book these days. Read the Bible and ease into study and alternative reading material. Too many "other" religions can be built on one portion of Scripture completely out of context if it's isolated. The best self-help is to help yourself by focusing on God and all of the Bible.

Haven't seen that one. Most of my Greek grammar research I've been doing online and out of the current books that I have. I'm on the look out for others though to supplement that research. Honestly though there is a lot of good material online when I have questions. In time I'll find a good grammar text on one of my treasure hunts.

cp
He was regarded as the greatest NT Greek expert of the 20th Century, but his big grammar really is something else to use!

I like Evangelical Dictionary, Wilmington's, Bible.is, BibleGateway.com, Strong's. eSword, Logos, G. Campbell Morgan, etc.

***My caution to new believers though, is don't get caught up reading other people's assessments of God's Word and end up establishing a new doctrine. There are a million new books published each year and it seems every known name has at least one book these days. Read the Bible and ease into study and alternative reading material. Too many "other" religions can be built on one portion of Scripture completely out of context if it's isolated. The best self-help is to help yourself by focusing on God and all of the Bible.
A really good ST would be by Berkhof, but his take on infant baptist and A mil not for me!

Awesome. I'll track one down. If not on the internet, a used bookstore, then perhaps a used copy on amazon.

cp
as i read that, book stores are going chapter 11 all over the place - - that's sad due to I'm lil old school with things even though have my degree in cs but different times call for different ways huh, thought was going to say something else but on a real note amazon is awesome can't argue, that fact,
not that I would get upset hey let it work, pray for all things at all times: verse comes to mind-

pray without ceasing.
1st Thessalonians 5:17

hope that made sense, very very tired presently😄😴😴

Last edited:
as i read that, book stores are going chapter 11 all over the place - - that's sad due to I'm lil old school with things even though have my degree in cs but different times call for different ways huh, thought was going to say something else but on a real note amazon is awesome can't argue, that fact,
not that I would get upset hey let it work, pray for all things at all times: verse comes to mind-

pray without ceasing.
1st Thessalonians 5:17

hope that made sense, very very tired presently😄😴😴

I didn't have any trouble understanding you. :)

Many businesses are having trouble now with this virus. Hopefully there will still be bookstores. I love to see and touch what I buy when possible. That may become more and more difficult though as you say.

cp

When I was in college (early-mid 1970's) there was a young lady in a bible study I attended that had a Bible with4 lines: The first was the original in original characters, the second was a phonetic rendering, the third was a literal rendering, the fourth was a modern (probably King James) translation.

I know that grouping was used so that one could tell which words in the original related to which words in the intermediate lines. There was kind of disconnect between the third and the fourth lines since the word ordering in the ancient is opposite.

In more recent times I have tried to delve into the ancient syntax and grammatical rules since there is not a simple correlation between the tenses etc. I got bogged down trying to keep it straight.

Such as lexicons, or using critical commentaries?

I have used an International inductive study bible along with other aids .

They can be used .Most people do use some sort of help with the Bible . But as one poster offered.: "I always look up words & meanings... otherwise, I'd always be confused, and would really miss out on alot!"

It is there where the rubber meets the road. Change the meaning of one word it change the author’s intent and in the end prove to be form of plagiarism. Which is violating the commandment (Deuteronomy 4:2) to not change the meaning of a single word. This is unlike the warning at the end of the book of prophecy it is in respect to the whole .No more new revelations that could add to the perfect. Two warning to protect the integrity of our God. Changing the meaning of a word would also violated the warning (1st commandment) to have no gods in the likeness of men before our living God who is not a man

The word apostle in most circles has been changed affecting the use of the word (sent one) through the commandments (plural) of the Bible.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments (plural) of the Lord your God which I command you.

One of the what I would call better tools that accompanies salvation to help us in seeking after his approval is knowing who it is that brings to our memory the things he taught us previously ,The voice of the stranger the father of lies can lose its appeal in the still small voice . . . walk this way ..

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I have used an International inductive study bible along with other aids .

They can be used .Most people do use some sort of help with the Bible . But as one poster offered.: "I always look up words & meanings... otherwise, I'd always be confused, and would really miss out on alot!"

It is there where the rubber meets the road. Change the meaning of one word it change the author’s intent and in the end prove to be form of plagiarism. Which is violating the commandment (Deuteronomy 4:2) to not change the meaning of a single word. This is unlike the warning at the end of the book of prophecy it is in respect to the whole .No more new revelations that could add to the perfect. Two warning to protect the integrity of our God. Changing the meaning of a word would also violated the warning (1st commandment) to have no gods in the likeness of men before our living God who is not a man

The word apostle in most circles has been changed affecting the use of the word (sent one) through the commandments (plural) of the Bible.

Deuteronomy 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments (plural) of the Lord your God which I command you.

One of the what I would call better tools that accompanies salvation to help us in seeking after his approval is knowing who it is that brings to our memory the things he taught us previously ,The voice of the stranger the father of lies can lose its appeal in the still small voice . . . walk this way ..

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
At times though there are nuances in the Hebrew and Greek words that just cannot be fully fleshed out in English translations!

When I was in college (early-mid 1970's) there was a young lady in a bible study I attended that had a Bible with4 lines: The first was the original in original characters, the second was a phonetic rendering, the third was a literal rendering, the fourth was a modern (probably King James) translation.

I know that grouping was used so that one could tell which words in the original related to which words in the intermediate lines. There was kind of disconnect between the third and the fourth lines since the word ordering in the ancient is opposite.

In more recent times I have tried to delve into the ancient syntax and grammatical rules since there is not a simple correlation between the tenses etc. I got bogged down trying to keep it straight.
A Reverse Interlinear very handing tool!

Back