Does the Bible endorse slavery/ Why Does it not condemen it?

Does the Bible endorse slavery/ Why Does it not condemen it?

I have a question. does the Bible condemn slavery? What do you make of these passages?

"Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee."
"He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him." (Deut. 23: 15-16)

Matthew 18:25: "But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made."
Mark 14:66: "And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:"

Also references in Luke 12:45-48 and Colossian 4:1

I haven't looked in detail at the context of the passages, but I was just wondering I came across the topic on another website. I just wanted to know was slavery condemened, what did God think of it? Was slavery the same thing as chattel slavery (like in American South) was it simply a social status, were they treated humanely?

God's Word does not condone or condemn Slavery. It was an accepted practice to have servants or as some translations call them "Slaves" What was not condoned is mistreatment of servants or slaves.

There are forms of slavery even in the United States today. Our military is just one of them. You sign up for a certain number of years, and are considered Government Property. You must fulfill your years of service of face some type of punishment. You are in bondage to the Government and must do as you are told. I was in the Military and was actually given a article 15, because I hurt my leg while horse playing around. I was in violation of destroying government property as the Article stated. I did not get in real trouble, but it did go on my record.

I am sure there will be better input coming.

be blessed.

Back