Does the Bible teach "praise dance" or "worship dance" for the Church?

Daniels

Inactive
Does the Bible teach "praise dance" or "worship dance" for the Church?

1. "Let them praise His name with dance; let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp. For the Lord takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation. Let the saints be joyful in glory; let them sing aloud on their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their mouth ... (Psalm 149:3)
  2. Then David danced before the Lord with all his might ... "Therefore I will play music before the Lord. And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight." (2 Samuel 6:14, 21)
II Chronicles 5:13,14 It came to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord: and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the Lord, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord; So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the Lord had filled the house of God.
Hebrews 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.
http://keyboardsforchrist.com/Refrences.html#topRevelation 14:2 And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder: and I heard the voice of harpers harping with their harps:
Dancing is only negative when God is not the object of the dance. In the book of Exodus, we find that the Israelites danced around the golden calf (an idol they had created), and because God was not the object of their dance they were punished. The Bible tells us that everything should be done decently and in order (this includes dancing), so dancing that is suggestive or sensual in nature is never proper. However, the Bible also encourages us to dance before the Lord:
Exodus 15:20 And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.

2 Samuel 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might...

2 Samuel 6:16 ...saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD...
It should be noted that David leaped as well as danced before the Lord.
Psalm 30:11 Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing...
Psalm 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance...
Psalm 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance...
Ecclesiastes 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance...
http://www.livingwaterupc.org/Bible%20Studies/worship.html

True worship in all it's expressions will never get you in trouble with God. Perhaps with some folks but not with God.

Even traditionally anti-dancing churches have started bending on this one. I know in the Nazarene church, dancing was strictly forbidden. Now, certain types of folk dancing is slowly being allowed, but very rarely in the church or church grounds. Possibly because there are just too many people who have been raised to believe it's wrong.

For myself, I've very closely tied to music. I say, if they don't want me dancing, they better be ready to bring out the duct tape.

Back