Does "the New Testament" Say Anything Against Blasphemy

I just remembered something a long time ago. There was a son who blasphemed the lord's name, and was stoned to death for it. So just curious to what redeeming thing the new testament have against it Of course nowadays, it is not unusual for people to mock or make fun of faith/religion etc.

But biblically speaking, i am just curious if the new testament says anything against blasphemy.
Here is the chapter and verse i found
Leviticus 24:10-16

Matt 12:31,32. Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
In general, blasphemy is a forgivable sin, but a hardened heart that blasphemes the Holy Spirit will not find forgiveness.
There are many different understandings about this teaching, but whatever we adopt as understanding must embrace verse 32b......"either in this age or in the age to come". This implies a sudden and instantaneous spiritual death from which there can be no redemption.
But as I say, there are many different understandings.:(

Every sin is forgivable. Every single sin imaginable is forgivable. The bible is very clear that Christ died for all sins including MT12. James the half brother of Yeshua and Saul both committed the unpardonable sin (turkeys) and both were forgiven.

Every sin is forgivable. Every single sin imaginable is forgivable. The bible is very clear that Christ died for all sins including MT12. James the half brother of Yeshua and Saul both committed the unpardonable sin (turkeys) and both were forgiven.
No, you have the wrong take on this. The unforgivable sin is only understood with the consideration of the passages you have mentioned. Both of you have fallen just short of understanding this. If a Lost Person dies denying the Holy Spirit, that is the blasphemy Jesus is speaking of. I hope this is profitable to all three of you.

FoxStop, if cursing God, in any form was unforgivable, I would be on my way to Hell because, as a young man I cursed God repeatedly. The friends have given you what you have asked for and if you read all of the scripture, the way we are intended to, you'll find other references, some not so direct, but they are there.

Just to add. The Jews knew God. So any blaspheming of Him showed a depth of hate / evil toward God. God wanted a good precedent set on this for us all and hence the punishment in the OT.

The unsaved grieve / blaspheme the Holy Spirit by ignoring Him many times. It is the 'many' that builds to a level of intent where God considers a person as being beyond hope / committing unpardonable sin.

Similarly to the Jews, us Christians need to be very careful too. We know God by the spirit. We know God better and on a more personal basis then the Jews. We are in a better / closer covenant with God. If any Christian has to blaspheme God / Holy Spirit / Jesus in anyway, it carries a significant weight of intent. Whether we 'give credit of God's works to the devil' or literally curse Him, we are playing with fire. I would say that we need to curse Him from the spirit / depth of intent before we can commit the 'unpardonable sin'. We have a spiritual relationship with God but live in the flesh. When we speak from the flesh it is the world rubbing off on us / moment of stupidity. But if we speak from the spirit / depth of intent of our hearts we curse the Holy Spirit at a level of intent that no other human can. This cursing can also be shown by our actions. Since we are so close to God, we have the ability to really hurt Him. A wise Christian will avoid any kind of cursing and repent quickly if he thinks he did. Being able to repent quickly shows there was no depth of intent.

1Bill said........... "If a Lost Person dies denying the Holy Spirit, that is the blasphemy Jesus is speaking of".

That has always been my understanding as well. It is the Holy Spirit that convicts man of his sin and it is the Holy Spirit who then directs the lost man to Christ. IF a man rejects this conviction and direction and dies in his sin, he has in fact commited a sin which can not be forgiven hence it is the "unpardonable sin".

I heard that the ONLY unpardonable sin is if you deny the Holy Spirit. Which is rejecting God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the gift from God.

New
Matt 12:31, 32. Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Do NOT deny the Holy Spirit

OK, so I ask the question................"If a person dies having rejected Christ, how does that result in him being (past tense) beyond forgiveness in this age??" For the word of God clearly states "........but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come."
Speaking against the Holy Spirit surely must involve a vocal denunciation of the Holy Spirit (as the context of Scripture clearly and unmistakably shows). This according to Jesus places the orator beyond forgiveness in 'this age'. Simply denying the Holy Spirit does not require any vocalization whatsoever.
This age surely refers to life in the flesh before bodily death occurs, ushering in for each individual, the 'age to come'.
If a person commits a sin 'in this age' for which there is no forgiveness available, turning to Christ for the remission of sins surely becomes rather moot. Is this not what Jesus is talking about??
Verse 31 begins with "Therefore I tell you...." This must refer to what has just preceded. V24 "But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.” then, V28 "But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you." The connection is clear and unmistakable to me. The Pharisees spoke evil of the Holy Spirit...according to Jesus, they and their ilk will not be forgiven for that in this age (this life) or in the age to come, (after their bodily death).
The "this age" might be argued to mean the years prior to Christ's return, OK so those are the years in which we live and have our being until our bodies die.

What does this mean............lol?

Yes I know it means "laughing out loud" .............but what does it mean here as a reply to what has been said?

I don't want to debate Bill. I am responding to the OP.

Your understanding of the unpardonable sin of Mt 12, respectfully, is an over simplification.
Every sin is forgivable. Every sin.

Let's start with agreeing to approach the context in humility. Using the science of interpretation, how are you concluding that there's a sin that is unforgivable since that concept is competently false in the rest of the bible. So how do you handle this one passage and it's the only passage, the only context in which it is found?
From the first century Jewish perspective a completely sufficient explanation is given.

Hmmmmm

What is the 'Holy Spirit'?

And what are the effects if we 'deny'(ignore) said Spirit?

Every man (person) is designed to be dependent on God. There is a void that only the Holy Spirit can fill; a seed implanted in the fiber of our creation reserved for the truth of God. Christ knocks-but we have to choose to answer-or ignore the knock on the door. But ignorance does not 'save' from the fulfillment of the law which IS Love-AKA: Jesus Christ.

We blaspheme the Holy Spirit by ignoring and pushing aside the source of Light, Life and Love-who is Jesus Christ. To deny that 'good'-that God IS-is the condemnation. John 3:

"18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

I don't want to debate Bill. I am responding to the OP.

Your understanding of the unpardonable sin of Mt 12, respectfully, is an over simplification.
Every sin is forgivable. Every sin.
Sorry, but there is "no" forgiveness on the other side of the grave and that does make, as Jesus, God in the Second Person, stated, sin against the Holy Spirit unforgivable. Beyond that, there is no point to this becoming an argument and that puts me in the position of suggesting you open, download or purchase a copy of the Nave's Topical Bible and do the topical study on this.

Rev 20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
Seems there are a few who did not receive forgiveness.
And there it is again plain and simple ....Mark 3:28,29,30. “Truly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the children of man, and whatever blasphemies they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 for they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.
Matthew and Mark provide the two required witnesses.
Verse 30 gives the reason for their unforgivable state.... they said "He has an unclean spirit." The word of God here is not saying they refused to believe the witness of the Holy Spirit until the day they died and so were damned. No! they called the good works of the Holy Spirit evil and indeed the Holy Spirit Himself they called evil, according to the recorded words of Jesus, that was an eternal sin, beyond the reach of forgiveness then and there. Hey, don't blame me, I didn't record the words spoken by Jesus, I just believe them.

Let us not loose sight of the fact that there is vast difference between unforgiven sin and unforgivable sin.
Unforgiven sin is sin unconfessed and carried to the grave, such as denying the Holy Spirit as discussed earlier.
Unforgivable sin is sin as discussed by Jesus and is clearly to do with 'bad mouthing' the Holy Spirit.

As the sincere brothers that we are (not perfect) but brothers none the less (even Stan), an Honest Question:

In what places of the bible is the mention of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

1. Matthew 12
2. Matthew 12
3. Matthew 12
4. Matthew 12

So, why are we as sincere students of the scriptures defining this sin by ignoring this fact?
Why have we automatically conceded that all manner of sin is forgivable but this one?

Because it's the only interpretation most of us have ever heard that's why.

Didn't the Jews commit a similar sin before at Kadesh Barnea? They did. Was it forgivable? Did they all lose their spiritual salvation? No they suffered the penalty of the sin at KB by physical death. Moses wrote psalm 90 after this event. In that psalm he prays that the people would rejoice, and live skillfully for Jehovah.

The U S of Mt 12 is the national rejection of the Messiahship of Jesus by Israel while He was present on the basis of demon possession.

According to first century Pharisaic Judaism if a man was demonized and that demon caused muteness only the Messiah when He came could cast that type of demon out. Go and re read this passage brothers and try to find a contextual interpretation of the U S by this event that took place.

The people upon seeing this miracle immediately ask is Jesus was the Son of David?(a Messianic title). This was a deliberate power play by The Lord that we as gentile believers missed. Jesus by performing this specific miracle forced the nation of Israel to make a decision concerning His claim to be the Jewish Messiah. The rulers reject Him and the people followed. As I stated (and no one challenged) Paul and James both committed the unpardonable sin here and both were forgiven of it!!

Just like at Kadesh Barnea, it was a national sin with a physical judgment that kept this generation (note the use of these words "this gen" in the text) from receiving the kingdom. Guess what? 40 years after Mt12 the Temple was destroyed with Jerusalem in accordance with the judgment by Jesus for the rejection recorded in this passage.

The U S is the reason for the parabolic method of teaching. The Kingdom has entered into its mystery form as described by the parables. The purpose of the parables was to hide the truth from that generation. The policy of silence now takes the place of proclamation that was being done by JC and the boys b4 Mt12.

I don't know how to exhort you guys to believe the bible which teaches that Christ's sacrifice paid for Every Single Sin.

Anyways you can think as you like. But this is how to interpret the U S in the only context in which it is found. And it is not cool to try to explain how every sin is paid for by the blood but not this one - it was. We are making it up, shooting from the hip by ignoring the context here.

Intojoy, not sure to whom you are addressing your concerns here, but I'll respond to your concern regarding Matt 12 and Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. You seem to ignore the fact that it is also mentioned by Mark, in Mark ch3.
In both testimonies, the Holy Spirit is blasphemed. In both testimonies Jesus pronounces dire consequences for those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit. As you know, there is a directive laid down by the Lord that every matter should be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses. Matthew and Mark provide a twofold testimony concerning the consequences of Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and also the exact nature of that blasphemy.
Can we go against the testimony of two or three witnesses? I don't believe we either can or should.

@ Intojoy
Why do you attribute any of the psalms to Moses?
Most folks attribute them to David (unless otherwise attributed in the particular psalm).
Moses had been dead for centuries when the psalms were written.

Back