Dogs in the Bible

I think if you've prayed for them and blessed them and baptised them (given them a bath) cared for them...they have God's grace to enter the Kingdom...after all, Jesus entered the kingdom riding on a donkey.
Also..one of the ten commandments said not to covet..not just possessions and another mans' wife but also his animals..cattle, oxen etc. Animals are precious in God's eyes. Nathan told David about a mans lamb who he nutured as his own and someone else stole him - meaning David the man who stole Bathsheba. I think God sees animals that are loved and brings them into the kingdom.
That verse was in old testament before Jesus. If you concerned about your pets, tell it to Jesus.
God knows the number of hairs on our heads and his eyes are on the sparrows.

still..I don't know about dogs. People generally have them for selfish reasons and train them for selfish reasons, like to attack people, hunt, or to show off, or I don't know. I know it seems I'm anti-dog but only dogs have killed my cats, chickens, mauled people, bitten my family, made a racket, fouled lawns, caused so much trouble, made people dependent on them if they have no other friends...so..not really impressed by them. And I resent people asking me to pet-sit their dogs. You either take them with you, as your responsibility, or just leave them alone in the wild so they can be free to be with their own kind. One tried to sleep in my bed, ugh the smell. Could not get the stain out the rug. Stole my food, and kept whining all night. Had to walk them everyday...they would not obey..and it took a lot of effort. They like naughty children. If well trained, they ok, but generally people don't do this. They just cute fur babies to them. (when young).

My uncle had a dog who was this massive st bernard type dog and all he did was mope around, you could not even take him for a walk he was so massive. I think dogs get depressed when they not around their dog friends and stuck chained and fenced in to a house. It's not right to do this. I don't agree that they should live inside with humans...they outside animals, but they need their freedom to run around not always on a leash, yet, when running free, they frequently attack random people. So i don't get why they mans best friend. Don't men have other human friends? Real friends, like Jesus had? Jesus didn't have a dog, and he didn't send the Holy Spirit in the form of a dog.

Like PG said, it is more to be taken in symbolism when addressing animals. Animals aren't bad creatures themselves -- they are creatures made from God. Of course some are best left in their own habitats or catered to in a way that mimics their habitats (wild animal hospitals, for instance).

I have two cats. I love them. My wife and I don't have a dog yet, but we'd love to get one some day. I grew up with both dogs and cats and have an affection for each.

As for animals in heaven, that's something I still can't be sure of. I've heard a lot of responses for this. The most common response I've heard is that animals, while they don't go to hell of course, they most likely don't go to heaven because of their lack of personhood (meaning their species never having intended to be able to reason the way God made man to in His image). This is just from certain theologians while others believe animals do go to heaven.

I don't know if Noah's Ark leads to proof of either one. Animals are a gift from God -- a resource for man to care for and an extension of God's care for us. I think with Noah and the animals, it was to ensure a preservation of this creation.

The pastor at a church I was attending used to tell those that asked him about pets in heaven, would say that the Bible mentions horses in heaven, which may indicate to the possibility of other animals.

I was kind of hoping for some sort of discussion on that vein.

... By the way, the only reference I found closely matching that pastor's assertion is Christ riding out of the gates of heaven.

Also, within a loving marriage, however a man & his wife choose to share physical expression of mutual love and respect is honorable in the Lord's sight.

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge.
(NASB)

Scripture also speaks of snakes, lions and lambs in heaven along with those horses.

Animals have been an incredible source of joy. Since we're talking about dogs specifically, I have a few friends who are military men and served in Iraq. Two of them have struggled with PTSD and one has even become suicidal after his return from war -- a real problem within veterans. However, a recent organization has helped many veterans in their return and which has helped link them with a pet dog. They go through a psychiatric evaluation first to judge whether or not they will be a harm to the dogs. They have been a source of friendship and company and has done a lot of good.

Family dogs are always a remarkable addition because it helps teach responsibility, kindness, patience, and loyalty. Dogs are often great with kids, but also great with adults. They just make great additions to loving homes.

Like PG said, it is more to be taken in symbolism when addressing animals. Animals aren't bad creatures themselves -- they are creatures made from God. Of course some are best left in their own habitats or catered to in a way that mimics their habitats (wild animal hospitals, for instance).

I have two cats. I love them. My wife and I don't have a dog yet, but we'd love to get one some day. I grew up with both dogs and cats and have an affection for each.

As for animals in heaven, that's something I still can't be sure of. I've heard a lot of responses for this. The most common response I've heard is that animals, while they don't go to hell of course, they most likely don't go to heaven because of their lack of personhood (meaning their species never having intended to be able to reason the way God made man to in His image). This is just from certain theologians while others believe animals do go to heaven.

I don't know if Noah's Ark leads to proof of either one. Animals are a gift from God -- a resource for man to care for and an extension of God's care for us. I think with Noah and the animals, it was to ensure a preservation of this creation.

Having grown up in the country, we had dogs and cats. Dogs because a cat will not run off anything bigger than itself. They catch and kill snakes and rats and such but that is all. The dogs will run after and bark at everything that is not supposed to be in their domain. When the dogs barked, dad loaded his shotgun and went looking.

My uncle had a dog who was this massive st bernard type dog and all he did was mope around, you could not even take him for a walk he was so massive. I think dogs get depressed when they not around their dog friends and stuck chained and fenced in to a house. It's not right to do this. I don't agree that they should live inside with humans...they outside animals, but they need their freedom to run around not always on a leash, yet, when running free, they frequently attack random people. So i don't get why they mans best friend. Don't men have other human friends? Real friends, like Jesus had? Jesus didn't have a dog, and he didn't send the Holy Spirit in the form of a dog.

Large dogs like St. Barnard's do not fair well in hot climates like New Zealand. They were bread to work and live in COLD climates and that is why they have so myuach hair, to stay warm in the cold damp weather.

As for "random" attacks on people. IF you go into their domain then yes they will protect their owners. I am sure that there are dogs like pit bulls and rotweillers and German Shepards who have attacked people at times but that is more the owners fault than the dogs. Those dogs were bread to be aggrise and the owners KNOW that and they should be held accountable not the dog itself.

A bad dog is a reflection of it's owner or environment. No dog is born mean, but they are quick learners.
I have two cats and one German Shephard dog. After having owned a German Shephard I will never be without one.
Wonderful dogs, loyal and reliable, and smarter than a lot of people I know. They need to be firmly trained, for they are very willful and have minds of their own.

There has been a growing movement of people advocating for more ownership of pitbulls since they have such a tainted reputation as being mean, aggressive, and unable to be domesticated. Pitbulls often make very good pets and are great family dogs. They are, however, very strong dogs and so immoral people will often abuse them into being attackers and used for dog fights.

Did I mention that they're great with kids?

1234811_580691611989083_346902868_n1.jpg

Could be, but I dont think you can verify that.
Dogs today can still be pretty vicious.

Actually he can my dear. History is full of accounts of dogs being scanvengers exactly like wolves.

Proverbs 26:11......
"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly".

Dogs were considered unclean in Biblical times as they were commonly scanengers of the dead and they appear in the Bible as repugnant creatures, symbolising evil.

There has been a growing movement of people advocating for more ownership of pitbulls since they have such a tainted reputation as being mean, aggressive, and unable to be domesticated. Pitbulls often make very good pets and are great family dogs. They are, however, very strong dogs and so immoral people will often abuse them into being attackers and used for dog fights.

I agree. It is all about the owners and how they train them and treat them.

A bad dog is a reflection of it's owner or environment. No dog is born mean, but they are quick learners.
I have two cats and one German Shephard dog. After having owned a German Shephard I will never be without one.
Wonderful dogs, loyal and reliable, and smarter than a lot of people I know. They need to be firmly trained, for they are very willful and have minds of their own.

I agree! Again, it all comes back onto the owners. My son bought a pedigree Rotweiller about 30 years ago. He got him as a 6 week old puppy. The 3 children that were still at home played with him and worked with him and he was one big bubbly ball of hair who would lick you to death. Very, very smart and you always knew someone was at the door before someone was at the door.

Actually he can my dear. History is full of accounts of dogs being scanvengers exactly like wolves.

Proverbs 26:11......
"As a dog returns to his vomit, so a fool repeats his folly".

Dogs were considered unclean in Biblical times as they were commonly scanengers of the dead and they appear in the Bible as repugnant creatures, symbolising evil.

Dogs being domestic is also a very cultural thing. While it's extremely common here in the states or in many first world countries, it's not as common in third world cultures. My wife's father is from El Salvador, and when she would go to visit her grandmother there, she described San Miguel as looking like something out of a Spaghetti Western. One of the things is that dogs aren't pets there -- they are often stray and filthy.

Dogs being domestic is also a very cultural thing. While it's extremely common here in the states or in many first world countries, it's not as common in third world cultures. My wife's father is from El Salvador, and when she would go to visit her grandmother there, she described San Miguel as looking like something out of a Spaghetti Western. One of the things is that dogs aren't pets there -- they are often stray and filthy.

Yes sir. In those countries it is hard enough to get a really good meal to eat and not many people will give thaty to a dog instead of their children.

Hmm
Dogs are very territorial. Cats can be the same. But they not so aggressive.
Dogs often just literally in your face, and even sniffing your behind. I find that annoying as well as disgusting, but thats just me. Some ppl like that, they think its cute. They also like when they lick your face. cats lick too, but they dont drool or slobber.
Also cats claws can retract. Dogs claws cant do that.
Try as I might, I cant see dogs as beautiful. I can see cats, a vision of loveliness. But dogs? No. They like pigs. You can clean them up and groom them, shampoo them etc. but to me they always be just dogs. Even domesticated...I just find their behaviour...dog. I know french ppl in Paris really love them and they can sit on your lap, use public transport and eat in restaurants. But i just find that silly. Some treat them better than humans.

Dogs need to be on leashes. Why?
Cats are free to roam, but if you own a dog..you must put them on a leash, clean up their poop, register them, walk them everyday etc. too much work.

I have seen some parents put their children on leashes when they go out shopping or for a walk. That to me is horrible, treating their children like dogs. Whistling for them.
Dogs are slaves to their masters I suppose.
Cats arent like that at all, we cant actually own them or make them do anything they dont wanna do. They choose to live with us, not the other way round.

As far as pets going to heaven, I do not believe they will be there. Animals will be in heaven, but there is no salvation for animals, they do not have a free will, and they are set apart from man.
Even though many pets in my life have been a great joy, does not mean they will be in heaven. And we should not be worried about that, Xbox could bring somebody great joy, but there won't be Xbox in heaven.

As far as dogs go, I like them, I'd love to get a Nova Scotia duck toller and have it retrieve ducks. My cat on the other hand is the meanest animal I've ever owned, she attacks me on a regular basis and draws blood.

As far as pets going to heaven, I do not believe they will be there. Animals will be in heaven, but there is no salvation for animals, they do not have a free will, and they are set apart from man.
Lot of baseless asumptions on your part. Animals are just as much part of God's creation as we are. Animals do have free will, the same free will we have. What they do not have is the "sin nature", as such they do not need salvation, as they cannot sin.

Back