Draining Lifeblood

M

Mark_18

Draining Lifeblood

What was meant by draining the life blood out of animals before eating them?

Leviticus 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

Leviticus 17:14
For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.
Deuteronomy 12:23
Only be sure that thou eat not the blood: for the blood is the life; and thou mayest not eat the life with the flesh.

Leviticus 16:14
And he shall take of the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it with his finger upon the mercy seat eastward; and before the mercy seat shall he sprinkle of the blood with his finger seven times. 15Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat: 16And he shall make an atonement for the holy place, because of the uncleanness of the children of Israel, and because of their transgressions in all their sins: and so shall he do for the tabernacle of the congregation, that remaineth among them in the midst of their uncleanness.

John 6:53
Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you

1 Peter 1:2Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied

What was meant by draining the life blood out of animals before eating them?

It simply means that God doesn't want us to eat double dead meat. It's the same thing mentioned in the new testament:

But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 15:20

God wanted the "Gentiles turned Christians" to avoid the things that the Israelites refrained from eating: Blood. If you do not drain the blood of the animal and if you eat it, you might be eating blood left in the meat. Same principle w/ strangled animals. God doesn't want us to eat those.

All through the OT there is a marked significance to the meaning of "Blood" and as we see the Israelites had to sacrifice a spotless lamb they also had to drain the blood from the animal , signifying that the Blood was the lifeline of the animal .and an atonement for their sins. And as we move into the NT the Blood of Jesus was shed for our sins .

The reality of the blood of Christ as the means of atonement for sin has its origin in the Mosaic Law. Once a year, the priest was to make an offering of the blood of animals on the altar of the temple for the sins of the people. “In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness” (Hebrews 9:22). But this was a blood offering that was limited in its effectiveness, which is why it had to be offered again and again. This was a foreshadowing of the “once for all” sacrifice which Jesus offered on the cross (Hebrews 7:27). Once that sacrifice was made, there was no longer a need for the blood of bulls and goats.

So the blood was drained just because it should be used? Besides the use of blood, why isn't this taken seriously today?

So the blood was drained just because it should be used? Besides the use of blood, why isn't this taken seriously today?

This as I said was an OT law as I said for the atonement of their sins but they had to keep on atoning all the time where as for us because of Christ and His atonement for us we only have to ask and be cleansed by the Blood of the Lamb that was sacrificed for us on the cross .

As far as I am concerned churches do not talk much about the " Blood" any more and ( this is before your time , Mark .... cause this is an old lady talking .... LOL ) years ago pastors spoke about the precious Blood of Jesus and it's significance . But everything has been watered down over time.

Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head , John

And on a more unfortunate note, the Jehovah's Witnesses took it more seriously than what they should. They went overboard. They are prohibiting their members from doing blood transfusion. Our Lord Jesus Christ wanted us to give our lives to our friends but the JWs are not even allowed to donate blood. Now, that's really unfortunate.

That goes to show how the gospel gets twisted . and that is unfortunate .

Now I was reading in the concordance that it says and I am quoting here : For the most part Bible references are directed toward the practical observations that loss of blood leads to loss of vitality and that a draining away of blood leads to death . When blood is shed , lfe is terminated . Blood is the life of the flesh and in that flesh and blood in their proper union constitute a living creature , beast or man but when they are separated death takes place.

Back