Dry Bones Rattling- Ezekiel 37

Ezekiel's vision of the Dry Bones coming together followed by full restoration of life (Ezk 37:1-10) by the explanation given in Ezk 37:11-14 refers to the whole of Israel.

Since 1948 most believers took this to mean the restoration of Israel as a nation in 1948 being the gathering of bones together. This is (or was?) thought to be followed by a restoration of the temple and resumption of sacrifices to the Lord.

In talking to many (often younger men, who view the 1948 events almost as ancient history), they are not so much sure that this is the proper understanding. They often advance the idea that this refers to a resurgence of the Spirit within the church. I can understand that. It is taking a while for the spiritual restoration. 2021 - 1948 means it has been in the works for 73 years.

There is a very popular song, "Dry Bones Rattling" being played on contemporary christian radio, and sung in contemporary format services which seems to refer to this prophesy, but doesn't even allude to the nation of Israel.

I am loath to claim Ezekiel's vision for Christs body (the Church) and, in effect claim it away from the children of Israel. There is so much that the Lord promised to the children of Abraham that seem to be claimed by the Christians as the 'spiritual' Israel.

This is not a post about the whether contemporary music is good or bad, or even if this particular song is pleasant or helpful to hear.

I am wondering if we are finding a new meaning for the prophecy, and what that says about our understanding of prophecy in general, and this one in particular.

I would appreciate any comments.

I am loath to claim Ezekiel's vision for Christs body (the Church) and, in effect claim it away from the children of Israel. There is so much that the Lord promised to the children of Abraham that seem to be claimed by the Christians as the 'spiritual' Israel.
i agree with you

Ezekiel's vision of the Dry Bones coming together followed by full restoration of life (Ezk 37:1-10) by the explanation given in Ezk 37:11-14 refers to the whole of Israel.

Since 1948 most believers took this to mean the restoration of Israel as a nation in 1948 being the gathering of bones together. This is (or was?) thought to be followed by a restoration of the temple and resumption of sacrifices to the Lord.

In talking to many (often younger men, who view the 1948 events almost as ancient history), they are not so much sure that this is the proper understanding. They often advance the idea that this refers to a resurgence of the Spirit within the church. I can understand that. It is taking a while for the spiritual restoration. 2021 - 1948 means it has been in the works for 73 years.

There is a very popular song, "Dry Bones Rattling" being played on contemporary christian radio, and sung in contemporary format services which seems to refer to this prophesy, but doesn't even allude to the nation of Israel.

This is not a post about the whether contemporary music is good or bad, or even if this particular song is pleasant or helpful to hear.

I am wondering if we are finding a new meaning for the prophecy, and what that says about our understanding of prophecy in general, and this one in particular.

I would appreciate any comments.

Good thought brother.

The beginning of Replacement Theology was that The church replaced Israel and the church receives the promises God made to Israel.

The church is the church and Israel is Israel and the church must be removed so that the promises made to Israel can be realized which as crossnote said will be the Tribulation period.

The promises made to Israel could not have happened until May 14, 1948 and can not be realized whill the church is still in the world.

LOOK UP........our redemption draweth neigh!

I don't know, it can have several spiritual meanings. Because it's Old Testament a lot of people read it in the context of Israel.

For those of us who aren't Israelites it's a picture or foreshadow of the resurrection.

I don't know, it can have several spiritual meanings. Because it's Old Testament a lot of people read it in the context of Israel.

For those of us who aren't Israelites it's a picture or foreshadow of the resurrection.
As far as reading the context as Israel, it is not merely context. It is stated in plain text:

Ezekiel 37:11 (NASB)
11 Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel; behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up and our hope has perished. We are completely cut off.’

As a less cosmic illustration, One task my wife and I are undertaking, particularly since we are getting older is to get our affairs in order so that if we pass on, our sons will get the benefit of our estate small as it may be (and not probate lawyers and accountants).

I would not like to think that either the state or some probate lawyer would claim to be my financial successor.

In a similar but more encompassing way, the Lord made specific provisions concerning the children of Abraham. Modern Christians have enough promises from God. We do not need to claim the provisions made to Israel.

Well I would say its both
Not one or the other. Since we are grafted into Israel anyway.
Their hope (Jesus manifested) was extended to the gentiles.

Back