Dubstep: Is it acceptable?

@Juk the very fact you are asking is trying to gain permission for something God's already laid in YOUR heart not to do. That's sin. God loves you and when He says not to do something, don't let the flesh (or Christians) tempt you. Be obedient. You've got to stand on your own decisions or you'll be miserable. Whatever you do, do in faith.

I would agree except for the fact that he is young in both his faith and his age. Just because he is asking does not mean it is an obvious no, blanket statements like that dont work. There are honest questions that we all have, you had them too on the beginnings of your faith. I know I had my fair share of "silly" questions

I would agree except for the fact that he is young in both his faith and his age. Just because he is asking does not mean it is an obvious no, blanket statements like that dont work. There are honest questions that we all have, you had them too on the beginnings of your faith. I know I had my fair share of "silly" questions
Yes but some spend more time trying to find ways around what they have been told so as to still have what they want with out getting into trouble. You missed that angle. lol AND YEA we all have been there before now havn't we now !! rofl
Blessings
Jim

OK...I wondered. I'm the opposite. I like to write poetry and have always valued lyrics with music (combined) that moves me and causes me to imagine/make up stories. Since I was your age, I valued lyrics over instrumental. For dancing, I was happy with either.

I've often thought that people tend to be either "lyric orientated" or "melody orientated" and I suspect "lyric orientated" is more common (even though the words to some things are inane). I'm "melody orientated" and am quite cable of listening to a song without taking any notice of the words.

In my case, I do wonder whether my move to Wales when I was about 7 may have anything to do with my "ability" to ignore words. We had songs in primary school I couldn't understand so I learned to "make the right noises" (well sort of and at first - I don't speak Welsh but I'm not completely stuck for pronunciation if I see a Welsh word written down).

Reactions: Juk
@Juk the very fact you are asking is trying to gain permission for something God's already laid in YOUR heart not to do. That's sin. God loves you and when He says not to do something, don't let the flesh (or Christians) tempt you. Be obedient. You've got to stand on your own decisions or you'll be miserable. Whatever you do, do in faith.
I never thought that it was bad. I was just asking to see you guys' opinion. God never told me that is was bad, or made me feel that way. At least I didn't hear Him.

I've seen Christian lyrics fit into many genres of music. I think what we need to be careful with is the lyrics in any genre, including, "Christian music." I've heard songs that are called "Christian music," but the message of the song seemed to be the opposite.
Yeah. Praise music in churches usually go against the command to not have vain babblings. They same the same thing around 20 times with some "emotional" music in the background and they must expect us not to stop focusing on the "worship". My mind always drifts in the worship segment of church service. And then there is the problem that the songs aren't really worshipping God. There are too many first person nouns and pronouns. Although this is not a clear indication, it is a very good one, at least to me.

I hadn't heard of dubstep before this thread....so. I think I am lyrical because I don't play an instrument. But in a song, the melody as well as the words have to intertwine for me. I am suspicious of songs that have slurred or babble-like qualities as the dubstep songs I heard seem to have even when it is mainly instrumental. As this is music strongly associated with gaming and I thought I caught an early Juk thread where he felt this was a problem...that this might be drawing him? Idk.....

I hadn't heard of dubstep before this thread....so. I think I am lyrical because I don't play an instrument. But in a song, the melody as well as the words have to intertwine for me.

I'd imagine that there are quite a few players of instruments who are more lyrical. Singer-songwriters may well be one example. My own favourite area of music is jigs and reels (playing mandolin and tenor banjo) but I do sing (mostly folk songs) too - it's just secondary to the dance music with me.

I am suspicious of songs that have slurred or babble-like qualities as the dubstep songs I heard seem to have even when it is mainly instrumental. As this is music strongly associated with gaming and I thought I caught an early Juk thread where he felt this was a problem...that this might be drawing him? Idk.....

I have to admit, I'd not taken any notice of the vocal type noises on the sample Juk gave. I am familiar with nonsense words ("skiddly ay de do", etc.) but you seem to be hinting at a different type of thing. I'll have to give a pass on that question.

If you go to the first link in the first post, there are running commentary beneath the graphic of the song waves from listeners....almost none of which is repeatable here. I looked at a few songs in this genre after I googled to try to get a taste. I actually like the coyote video that was first listed. Mind you, "acid kisses" is a known code word for hallucinogenic/drug kisses. The danny brown song (on youtube) was sex and drug selling. laced. I have to go over to my other browser to link it.

There is a warning that I have seen on a few of these dubstep videos saying that if you have a photosynthetic epilepsy(?) not to watch because they strobe light the lettering....it's a gaming remix but doesn't use any foul language....

If you go to the first link in the first post, there are running commentary beneath the graphic of the song waves from listeners....almost none of which is repeatable here. I looked at a few songs in this genre after I googled to try to get a taste. I actually like the coyote video that was first listed. Mind you, "acid kisses" is a known code word for hallucinogenic/drug kisses. The danny brown song (on youtube) was sex and drug selling. laced. I have to go over to my other browser to link it.
Dang it man I might have to quit dubstep.

I have been getting into listening to dubstep recently, and I want to know how you guys feel about it. Here are some examples of dubstep that I personally listen to:

https://m.soundcloud.com/smog/stratus-power-up

“dub” “step”

If audio benignly reverberates a sound “to strike lightly” upon a “procedural increment” in the name of art, then would that constitute sin?

I would think not, yet if the lightly stricken procedural increment in audio were to do so in its promotion of violence, immorality, disobedience, repugnance, or distain for what is virtuous then yes.

I've seen Christian lyrics fit into many genres of music. I think what we need to be careful with is the lyrics in any genre, including, "Christian music." I've heard songs that are called "Christian music," but the message of the song seemed to be the opposite.
Amen!!!!

There is no such thing as Christian ROCK!

Can you please expound on this, do you mean that a Christian song can't have electric guitars and drums?

Certainly. Now remember, I am "old school". I do not believe that many will agree with me and it is perfectly OK if you do not.
It is MY opinion but this is something that I have been involved in for many years.

When Rock Music first came onto the scene many years ago, Bible believing churches recognized it for what it was...the music of sex and rebellion. No Christian ministry praised Elvis' gyrating pelvis. Even Rock Stars called a spade a spade. For example, in 1969, Life magazine quoted Rock star Jimi Hendrix:..........
"through music, you can hypnotize people...and when you get them at their weakest point, you can preach into the subconscious minds what we want to say." Rocker Hendrix knew what he was talking about. He continued........
"Definitely I'm trying to change the world." Those are quotes which make a really good point.

Music has an awesome power to mold the thinking of the masses and particularly the youth and rock musicians know it. Crosby of Crosby, Stills & Nash made that plain enough when he bragged........
"I figured that the only thing to do was steal their kids. I still think it's the only thing to do...I'm not talking about kidnapping...but
about changing young people's value system." (Rolling Stone, Vol 1, p.410).

Now, I want you to note, I am talking about music, not words to music. Music has power, either for good or evil! Let me explain. Godly music has strong melody. (Garlock & Woetzael, Music in the Balance, p. 57).

"The part of music to which the spirit responds is the melody."

Ephesians 5:18-19 shows that the most prominent part of music should be melody..........
"And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit; Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;"

1 Samuel 16:23 shows the powerful affect for good music can have........
"And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him."

That brings us to harmony. "The part of music to which your mind responds is the harmony. Harmony is the intellectual part of music."( Rolling Stone, Vol 1, p.58). Harmony is to be secondary but not primary.

Then there is the rhythm. "Rhythm is the pulse of the music."(Rolling Stone, Vol. 1, pg. 59).

Too much (or erratic) pulse --------------- Body is sick
Too much (or erratic) rhythm ------------ Music is sick
No pulse ------------------------------------- Body is dead
No rhythm ----------------------------------- Music is dead
Pulse under control ---------------------- ---Body is well Rhythm under control ------------------- Music is well

I'm more of a Jazz and Classical sort of person.
Just ask yourself...does it offend God?

Same here! Those are the only other types of music I will listen to besides praise and worship music.
I don't know about the praise and worship music in churches nowadays. They are either too focused on self or repeat the same line over and over again until you start thinking about something else. That's what goes on in my church.

Back