Easter Approaches

Years ago as a teenager, I used to climb Mt Rubidoux in Riverside California the night before Easter. The night would be spent in fellowship and prayer and Bible reading by flashlight (and drinking hot chocolate). In the morning as the sun illuminated the hilltop and cross at the top of the mountain Christians from many area churches would hold a worship service. MT Rubidoux's cross and Easter Sunrise services have endured through the years including surviving attempts to force its removal but remains as the longest continuous history of Easter Sunrise services in the U.S. Even in years where 'official' services were canceled, believers individually climbed My Rubidoux and worshipped God on Easter morning.

I have been to many Easter services since, sometimes in a church, sometimes sunrise services outside. I am planning my Easter here and plan on attending a local multi church service at a local lake.

Do you have any 'special' Easter traditions?

I do the passover meal with roast Lamb with potatoes, hot cross buns, and being given chocolates. I try and have crackers and grape juice as well cos it's the Lord's supper.
Often just a quiet time to pray and reflect on Jesus crucifixtion. Here it is autumn when things are dying down. Great time to plant spring bulbs.
Feijoas are also falling all over the ground this time of year, so I'm always out picking them up. They are green fruit are shaped like eggs, so it is like an easter egg hunt.
Easter Sunday (which I call resurrection Sunday) at church is always the same thing - pastor goes around giving little chocolate eggs to everyone and we have to give them to each other and say 'This egg represents new life' and then eat them. It's a bit hokey lol. We also say 'He is risen!'
I like the Palm Sunday tradition of waving fronds and the 40 days of fasting/ giving up of something until Sunday when you can have it again.

I noticed by that time, you have learned to cope without it. This year it so happened I could not buy any new books for the library until after Easter.

Back