Ecclesiastes 9:5 need help understanding

Ecclesiastes 9:5 need help understanding

im trying to understand what this means, can someone please explain this passage to me ?

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

FlaviO - It might be a bit easier to understand if you read the New Living Translation for the entire 9th Chapter of Ecclesiastes. It is best not to take single verses out of context without picking up the subject being discussed earlier in the Chapter. Click on this hi-lited chapter redirect and read all of Chapter 9 in this fairly modern English version:

Ecclesiastes 9 (NLT)

It is widely accepted that the author of The Book of Ecclesiastes was King Solomon. His wisdom is revealed throughout the Book and his words of wisdom apply to our daily lives even now.

May God's Blessings be with you in your studies.

I read all of the chapter, and it sounds like Solomon did have a lot of wisdom, but was still seeking. 10 Whatever you do, do well. For when you go to the grave,[b] there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom. It sounds like he didn't know about Heaven, or Christians. ?? Like I used to think . . . when you die, you just die, and that's the end . . . nothing else. Why would the dead not be remembered?

To me, when i went back and read 1-6, that it is not that others forget the dead, but that the memory of the dead is gone, they no longer have memory, nor love or hatred or envy any other emotion. As well, it sounds like to me tha tthe rewards are those that one is only able to obtan wile they are alive. A sinner reaps their rewards on earth by their deeds, but those wo are saved not only reap on earth, but in Heaven as well. This is just what i got from reading it,.. Praise GOD.

im trying to understand what this means, can someone please explain this passage to me ?

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Yes in light of this verse we need to read the whole chapter to know that Solomon with all his knowledge , wealth and God given wisdom was searching for pleasure , possessions and the things of life that he thought were going to please him . He owned forty thousand horses with twelve thousand horesmen and had six hundred and ninety - nine wives .

But and we can see today the same thing ... his wealth and high living was making him restless and he even said he hated life 5:17 .

The lesson for us is no matter how high on the ladder we climb, if God is not put first .... everything else will crumble and there will be a void in ones life.

In this Chapter Solomon is saying that every one ends up the same in the end .Every person must face death and those who are righteous and wise rest in God's hands.

The depths to which one may find wisdom in this passage, is limited only by that which a insightful mind will allow:

For the living know that they shall die - All whom are living have an opportunity to know Christ but blessed are those who have found salvation in Him. The living has Hope.

but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward - To the dead, no knowledge is there to acquire, for hope or the lack thereof is now realized. Neither are there any rewards that one may pursue. For after death, there is judgment.

for the memory of them is forgotten - Life removed is as a vapor that now vanished away.

Good Day and God Bless

Kidding (but it's true).
From my point of view.
What he meant by dead (is people who are literally dead and/or people who rejected God and the law and/or people who are persecuting the word, by telling his own version of meaning)
and people who live ( basically the reverse of the first).

Back