Edinburgh

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
A city I can't help but love.
its rich in history, arts and education and architecture, but its the Scottish atmosphere that draws me in. Really friendly people the Scots. its pretty expensive to live here, like most major cities, but for a weekend away, it will take your breath away. its small enough to get round in a weekend.

Set on a hill, ( and it has an extinct volcano) its also has a pretty mild climate for Scotland, considering it rains a lot in Scotland (as you can see from my photos we went in April.) its city is split into a new Georgian part, and an old medieval town. its like a fairytale when you wander the narrow streets, its like being back in a Charles Dickens novel.Below is a photo I took whist up un the hill in Edinburgh castle, looking down onto the city below. you can see Calton Hill( which looks like an acropolis ( the highest point in the photo) Calton Hill is Scotlands National Monument where soldiers and sailors are remembered for fighting in the napoleonic wars.

3CAFA858-9A3B-4255-88A5-F1E56E15365A.jpeg

My wife and I enjoyed our tour of the city. This was one of those places we wanted to go back.

I loved that you could find local food products in the grocery store. It seemed like everything you looked at was local. Whereas here in Washington, finding some local products is a rare treat.

cp

I went on a ghost tour in Edinburgh once.
It wasn't that scary though...more funny! I would say its a real atmospheric town.

In NZ, Dunedin is labelled 'the Edinburgh of the South' because it was founded by Scottish Presbyterians. It even has a castle (the only one in nz) called Larnach Castle. It has it's own ghosts, but also a surrounded by a beautiful garden that it's new owners restored after it had gone to ruin.

I went on a ghost tour in Edinburgh once.
It wasn't that scary though...more funny! I would say its a real atmospheric town.

In NZ, Dunedin is labelled 'the Edinburgh of the South' because it was founded by Scottish Presbyterians. It even has a castle (the only one in nz) called Larnach Castle. It has it's own ghosts, but also a surrounded by a beautiful garden that it's new owners restored after it had gone to ruin.
wow, larnach castle is amazing!
I never knew that.
I think New Zealand is stunning. I would love to go there one day God Willing.

Back