Elijah and Melchizedek

Hello brothers and sisters in Jesus.

Today we have been in the bible study and someone asked me a simple question that who is the father of Elijah and Melchizedek in the bible?

God bless you.

Hello brothers and sisters in Jesus.

Today we have been in the bible study and someone asked me a simple question that who is the father of Elijah and Melchizedek in the bible?

God bless you.
Elijah's father was Jeroham:
26 Shamsherai, Shehariah, Athaliah, 27 Jaareshiah, Elijah, and Zichri were the sons of Jeroham (1 Chronicles 8:26-27).

Melchizadek has no genealogy listed in the Bible.

Why the father of Melchizedek was not mentioned in the bible?
Some propose that Melchizedek was actually a pre-incarnate appearance of Jesus Christ.

As "Biblelover" said......Hebrews 7:3 says that Melchizedek was “without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, made like the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.”

The question then is whether the author of Hebrews means this actually or figuratively.

If the description in Hebrews is literal, then it is indeed difficult to see how it could be properly applied to anyone but the Lord Jesus Christ. No mere earthly king “remains a priest forever,” and no mere human is “without father or mother.”

If the description of Melchizedek is figurative, then the details of having no genealogy, no beginning or ending, and a ceaseless ministry are simply statements accentuating the mysterious nature of the person who met Abraham.

But the Greek language helps us unscramble this passage of Hebrews 7:3. The Greek word for “made like” is APHOMOIOO.
It is a rare Greek word and occurs in the Bible only here in Hebrews 7:3. The word means “to copy or model.” The word was used to refer to a woodcarver who made a piece of wood to look “like” an ordinary animal. The wood was not made into an animal but looked like the animal. In the same way, Melchizedek was not Jesus but he is like Jesus. He is a type or picture of Jesus Christ.

The book of Hebrews was written to show its readers that Jesus is a high priest. In order to be a Jewish high priest, a male had to first be a Jewish priest. God said that a priest had to born of parents who were Levites (Num. 18:6-7; Ezra 2:61-62). This was the first requirement. A Jewish priest had to be a Levite. Therefore, the Holy Spirit needed to show that God recognized someone else in the Old Testament whose family were not Levite.

A case can be made either way. At the very least, Melchizedek is a type of Christ, prefiguring the Lord’s ministry.

Hello brothers and sisters in Christ.

Yesterday but one we bilble discussion but was left unfinished so i want you to help me to finish this.
When you read Galatians 2:11 ESV it sayth that when Cephas came, but KJ, GN it sayth that when Peter came.
Which person Pual rebuked?

Why the father of Melchizedek was not mentioned in the bible?
So that he would be a type of Christ as KIngpriest, without the lineage from Levi. Jesus was a Priest from the tribe of Judah which was the kingly tribe. The Father called Jesus to be a priest, a special priest - kingpriest.

As Melchizedek was a kingpriest before the tribe of Levi were made priests, he represented Jesus` offices - Kingpriest.

Remember in Israel those two offices were always separate. However, God purposed that the Lord Jesus Christ would hold those two offices and rule from the highest position in all of God`s great kingdom.

Good morning, servants of God.

Today we had bible study at our church, we were learning about who was Absalom in the book of 2 Samuel 15 but in the verse 7, same other versions like NIV, NKJ,GN says four years and other versions like Gideons says fourty years.
Please I want you to help and tell me how long did Absalom took standing by the road side?
God bless you.

Today we had bible study at our church, we were learning about who was Absalom in the book of 2 Samuel 15 but in the verse 7, same other versions like NIV, NKJ,GN says four years and other versions like Gideons says fourty years.
Please I want you to help and tell me how long did Absalom took standing by the road side?
God bless you.
I am blessed to give you an answer my dear brother.

"After forty years" is certainly incorrect. Absalom was born after David began his reign in Hebron, and his whole reign was only forty years.

In place of forty we must read four with Josephus and some of the ancient versions. The four years are to be reckoned in all probability from the time of Absalom’s reconciliation to David. They were spent in preparing for the conspiracy by ingratiating himself with the people in the way described in the preceding verses.

Today we had bible study at our church, we were learning about who was Absalom in the book of 2 Samuel 15 but in the verse 7, same other versions like NIV, NKJ,GN says four years and other versions like Gideons says fourty years. Please I want you to help and tell me how long did Absalom took standing by the road side?
God bless you.

Good morning, Pastor Mayende;

One of my seminary classes had this long discussion. It was debated, whether it was either 4 or 40 years as a "minor note." It appears the Hebrew texts from the other translations or sources supported 40 years, yet scholars such as Josephus and others supported 4 years.

I personally don't know the answer here, Pastor Mayende, but considering Absalom, he was still reasonably young in 2 Samuel 15, so I'll lean toward the 4 years.

The argument for both 4 or 40 years goes way
beyond verse 7 that the debate even brings in the chronicles of David, Saul and their reigns, so then we lose the historical account of Absalom's revolt against his father David.

God bless
you, brother and your Church family.

Back