Emergency Security Patch Issued By Microsoft

• Thread starter Boanerges(Inactive)
  • Start date
I wonder how much money Microsoft saves on research and development by simply releasing known garbage software only to turn the consumers into unpaid guinny pigs?

Remember D.O.S.? I never had any trouble at all with DOS.

What is this patch for ?

OOps answered my own question .... security ... Why don't you read ... Dusty ?

Ok but why do we need it if we already have a security system.? I have McAfee.

It is for that reason that I still refuse to update anything on my network to a version newer than Windows 98 Second Edition. Very few bugs in that version originally and we haven't had a 'blue screen of death' in over 4 years. Hackers don't pay attention to that older version, so our firewall and security suite is never hit with incursion attempts.

VISTA as has been noted in may tech writings, is an absolute disaster when it comes to software conflicts and script errors. Let's all give Bill Gates a round of applause... NOT !:mad:

Just some thoughts:
We all tend to blame Micro Soft and some of that blame is indeed theirs. However when you produce the most popular (or most used) PC software on the planet it is virtually impossible to predict the many ways it will interact with the 10's of millions of pieces of hardware and software it will interact with. In truth most of the "new" systems Micro Soft puts out work fairly well after the first couple of sets of patches.
Hackers develop new methods of attack and continually search for new vulnerabilities daily and if one does not keep his (or her) software up to date that one is at risk.
Older systems while stable, proven and trusted are extremely vulnerable to such attacks and infiltration as there are no "patches" or "software updates" to keep them up to speed with persons who have a less then friendly goal towards them. Many peoples PC's are literally servers for someone else's agenda and not even know it. Others are hacked and data mined and may suffer identity theft as a result.

VISTA as has been noted in may tech writings, is an absolute disaster when it comes to software conflicts and script errors. Let's all give Bill Gates a round of applause... NOT !:mad:

We got our kids each a laptop computer for Christmas last year. They came with "Vista." The first one crashed while installing Office 2000. It was the only software other than the operating system and it crashed during the install.

The second computer survived the Office install but crashed while attempting to install Norton Anti Virus, I understand that Norton is not a Microsoft product, but it is still very common.

I agree with you on 98se. Once they finally got that OS figured out it was extremely dependable. In fact I am using it right now. No problems and I have tons of software loaded.

Older systems while stable, proven and trusted are extremely vulnerable to such attacks and infiltration as there are no "patches" or "software updates" to keep them up to speed with persons who have a less then friendly goal towards them.
There is one exception that I am aware of.... Linux. It is virtually "hack proof" Just can't be done, and it doesn't crash. It does however require command codes, and most people don't like to use them in our "GUI" society.

I guess there is always a trade off. ;)

[QUOTEThere is one exception that I am aware of.... Linux. It is virtually "hack proof" Just can't be done, and it doesn't crash. It does however require command codes, and most people don't like to use them in our "GUI" society.][/QUOTE]

No operating system is 100% foolproof, even Linux and/or BSD based operating systems can be hacked. (Its just a lot harder to hack, based on the fact you dont run in administrator mode (root) and you only run admin functions temporarily if you need too.)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "command codes", if you mean by typing commands in a DOS box or as in Unix/Linux a "shell" I still to this day in my work do a lot of stuff on the command line, even in Windows.

As for this Windows vulnerability, this is pretty serious if they are implementing this outside of their regular "Patch Tuesday" routine.

[QUOTEIt is for that reason that I still refuse to update anything on my network to a version newer than Windows 98 Second Edition. Very few bugs in that version originally and we haven't had a 'blue screen of death' in over 4 years. Hackers don't pay attention to that older version, so our firewall and security suite is never hit with incursion attempts.

VISTA as has been noted in may tech writings, is an absolute disaster when it comes to software conflicts and script errors. Let's all give Bill Gates a round of applause... NOT !][/QUOTE]

Crackers do pay attention to the old versions of Windows as well, please do not assume that they will only go after the newer systems. The newer vulnerabilities such as DNS, issues in the TCP/IP stack do in fact effect all operating systems.

Yeah I got this from PC Pit stop the other day. Im a faithful follower of PC pit stop for 6 yrs.

Emergency Security Patch Issued By Microsoft | PC Pitstop

I did the patch. Hasn"t messed with my puter in any way shape or form. I get peace of mind and carry on with my business. Just remember that there are people out there that get paid to send out security breeches, viruses, trojens ect just to mess you up for fun. It pays to be cautious. I know some of you payed alot of moola for your rig....I did, so I will take precautions to protect it, as I chose Jesus as my protector. You know what to do :)
Chili out.

Hey y'all, I looked in my control panel to see if the new patch had downloaded and I couldn't find where it went, and I got concerned as to where it "went," ok now this had gotten my dander up because I don't like surprises..so I went to pc pitstop and read that if you go back to your control panel and click on "ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS" then click on "SHOW UPDATES," it can be found...so guess what? there it was, clear as a bell..man I love new technology.:D:D:D:)

honesty Vista has been becoming really great with all these fixes from Microsoft. superfetch is great now. it's very very fast and service pack 2 is coming out soon :)

God bless

Back