Emotions

1538549984671_image001.jpeg

Here is a definition of emotions.... Emotions are feelings on the inside caused by pain or pleasure but the objective is to move you in a direction.

So many passages in the Bible speak to emotions. Controlling them is a huge benefit to our lives. Even Jesus was tempted in His emotions, yet He passed that temptation with flying colors. For had He given in to what He was feeling.... He would not have gone to the cross.

Hebrews 4;15 says ...
For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning.
Hebrews 4:15 AMPC
https://bible.com/bible/8/heb.4.15.AMPC

As Jesus is (or should be) our example in everything (according to the Word we (every believer) all have the ability to be just like Jesus in every way, and have the ability to do all the things He did (John 14:12) ... Only in a greater capacity because He didn't physically stay here on the earth very long (more than 3 years in ministry) to perform those acts of power that the Father gave Him to do, He passed that responsibility on to us as He went on to heaven. We do have the same spirit that came upon Him when He was baptized.

So when Jesus was tempted (pressure applied to our emotions to get us to respond in a way to move us away from where Father is taking us), He made the choice the resist the temptation to follow the emotions that were sent by the enemy to move Him away from His God given destiny. He resisted so much that He sweat blood.

And He took with Him Peter and James and John, and began to be struck with terror and amazement and deeply troubled and depressed.

And He said to them, My soul is exceedingly sad (overwhelmed with grief) so that it almost kills Me! Remain here and keep awake and be watching.

And going a little farther, He fell on the ground and kept praying that if it were possible the [fatal] hour might pass from Him.
Mark 14:33‭-‬35 AMPC
https://bible.com/bible/8/mrk.14.33-35.AMPC

And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.
Mark 14:34 KJV
https://bible.com/bible/1/mrk.14.34.KJV

He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
Mark 14:34 NLT
https://bible.com/bible/116/mrk.14.34.NLT

We know that everyone has emotions. They can be used or displayed either positively or negatively. So how did Jesus get to the place where He had the strength to deny His emotions a right to dominate and control His destiny? We see in verse 35 (mark 14:35) that He went a little further... And He kept praying.

My friend that is also the solution for us... When it seems as if we have no strength... We can go a little further and we can choose to keep praying. And if we have no words (or no faith Words that line up with Thee Word) we can pray in the spirit... For we know that the Holy Spirit is within us to lead us and guide us and if we give Him the permission to speak through us... Can produce some powerful Words that gives the Father something to work with (Romans 8:26-27) and will also/at the same time refresh our spirit, soul (mind, will and emotions), and body (Jude 20).

For we walk by faith [we regulate our lives and conduct ourselves by our conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, with trust and holy fervor; thus we walk] not by sight or appearance.
2 Corinthians 5:7 AMPC
https://bible.com/bible/8/2co.5.7.AMPC

One of the ways that the enemy can trick us into following our emotions is by making things appear to be opposite of what God promises in His Word. Opposite of what we are standing in faith for, hoping for. And if we don't have faith like Abraham's (fully assured/unmoveable that what God said, He would perform it) the things that the enemy throws at us can get us to a place where we give up and quit, or to speak words opposite of what we're believing/standing in faith for. And then we wonder why what we're believing for is taking so long.

You see the enemy has been stripped of all power and authority over us.... So he like a robber and trickster has to come in and get us to give his plans and devices authority to work in our lives.

Friends this is just the tip of the iceberg on the subject of emotions. And one big topic that is intertwined with emotions is thoughts. For if we can do what 2 Corinthians 10:5 says.. and take every thought and image captive or submissive/obedient to the Word.. meaning does it line up with the Word?, if not we have to make the choice to cast it down.. or to speak what the Word says instead of what our thought says. For the enemy is not shy about whispering ungodly thoughts in our ears, to get us to react in a way that robs us of what God is trying to do in our lives.

Blessings to you all in Jesus Mighty Name!

The Lord bless you and watch, guard, and keep you;

The Lord make His face to shine upon and enlighten you and be gracious (kind, merciful, and giving favor) to you;

The Lord lift up His [approving] countenance upon you and give you peace (tranquility of heart and life continually).
Numbers 6:24‭-‬26 AMPC
https://bible.com/bible/8/num.6.24-26.AMPC

Its a big topic cturtle!
Thanks for the edification, yes we need to go by faith not feelings. Sometimes this is hard for a new believer to grasp especially those who were brought up in a 'do whatever you feel like doing' culture. You can have a drug anytime you feel pain. If you lack something you can either just buy it or put it on credit card if you got no money. If you want to gorge yourself on junk food you can, theres nobody stopping you. Everyone offers you cake instead of bread. After all if it feels good it must be ok right? Well not so fast. If I just did whatever felt good to me I would be a selfish hedonist. This is what the world offers, but those feelings come and go, thing is they do not last!

When it comes down to it, lets look at heroes of faith in the Bible. Stephen was being stoned by standing up for Christ. But did he go by his feelings? No he never wavered even right to the end.

Noah had never seen rain and I bet everyone around him thought he was nuts building an ark. Did Noah decide to just quit building the ark because everyone else around him mocked him? I dont think so!

Daniel and his friends stayed kosher and kept praying even when faced with death threats like being thrown into the lions den or a fiery furnace, for not bowing down to worship an idol.

Saul was part of the establishment, he was a Pharisee. He was probably a wealthy man. He was well respected. If he went only by his feelings, would he have given up everything to be a missionary and travel to the ends of the earth? He could have stayed at home and enjoyed the high life. But saul became Paul, he even gave up his proably famous name and humbled himself so he could reach the gentiles for Christ.

Prayer is very important any time we feel tempted, and satan can play on peoples emotions. For example satan, trying to get you to fall, might imply you an idiot, thats what he did with Eve which is why she ate the forbidden fruit, she thought she would be smarter if she ate it. Ok maybe Eve hadnt heard first hand what Adam had heard from God. But she could have said to the serpent, I may not know everything, but God does. And hes said not to eat that fruit. or Ask Adam, he was there. She just needed to exercise her faith and not give into feelings (of inadequacy, hunger, pride) etc.

Emotions are what gets you going, or keeps you still. They are not good or bad (even love) in themselves.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

All those things in Galatians 5:22,23 have high emotional content. But none of those things are always the basis for Christianity.

Emotions under our own control are untrustworthy. Our self control will fail If rooted within ourselves.

If they are under Christ's control, they have unlimited power.

Rather than being the foundation, they are a result of a more fundamental relationship with God.

In kjV translation, self-control is translated as 'temperence'.

It is not a word you hear often these days, but it has a more specific meaning than simply self-control, which implies its you (self) doing the controlling. You can have very self-controlled people but they can be very rigid and hard on themselves, showing no emotions whatsoever. Being a stoic and showing no emotions isnt necessarily being a christian.

Temperence means you have an even temper, it can also mean sobriety, you are balanced, you are moderate. Neither too much or too little. Easy to get along with. Sensible. Not extreme. Grounded. Only God can even us out its not our own doing, this is a fruit of the holy spirit, its not something we can work at just ourselves it must be cultivated in our relationship with God.

Another thing about faithfulness. This is also a fruit of the holy spirit. Many people talk about FAITH as if its a power to use like twirling a magic wand, speak some scripture and x will happen for you. But they forget faith is also cultivated in our relationship with God, its us that need to be faithful, just as you are to be faithful in marriage if you are married to someone. Because God has shown he is faithful to us and has sent Jesus who will never leave us nor forsake us.

It's our responsibility to control our emotions which in truth govern our actions.
Is this why many men dont cry? Just wondering. So if someone hurts real bad you just dont say a word. I think it
can be healthy to cry and is one of the things the Holy spirit actually does through us. See Romans 8:15

If nobody ever felt pain then you wouldnt know if you alive. Also, women in labour..dont they scream and yell??
Also one can grieve the Holy Spirit. God sees every tear we shed and apparently keeps them all in a bottle.
john 7:38 is interesting because it can mean we are moved to tears when we encounter Jesus. We dont talk about bowels of compassion or bellies these days but we do have gut feelings.

Cturtle going back to your OP were you specifically focusing on anger as an emotion in Proverbs 16:32. But then you started referring to sorrow as an emotion, but sorrow is not a bad thing. Especially godly sorrow. It is anger that must be contained, not sorrow.

I was thinking how anger can manifest itself, and for women a lot of the time we dont get angry like men do because we have a release valve which is called crying. But for men its like they are ashamed to cry?!

I have noticed when men get angry they feel they have to hit something with their hands, or hurt with their mouths. I.e verbal abuse, cursing etc. Or..thy might be so angry you can see steam coming out their ears, but a lot of that is smoke coming out their mouths when they light up a cigarette. The Bible says with an angry man do not go.

See. proverbs 22:24

Cturtle going back to your OP were you specifically focusing on anger as an emotion in Proverbs 16:32. But then you started referring to sorrow as an emotion, but sorrow is not a bad thing. Especially godly sorrow. It is anger that must be contained, not sorrow.

Godly Sorrow is not the same as sorrow.
Godly sorrow is used to draw back or correct something but it to needs to be dealt with .

Sorrow will destroy from the inside out. Sorrow will cause one to make bad choices.
Sorrow if left undealt with will pull you over into a selfish spirit. All about self. Poor me .

Sorrow also mean toil in God's Word.
Example here... The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.
Sorrow here means toil.

Lanolin emotions are more then crying or feeling sad or mad.

I have noticed when men get angry they feel they have to hit something with their hands, or hurt with their mouths. I.e verbal abuse, cursing etc. Or..thy might be so angry you can see steam coming out their ears, but a lot of that is smoke coming out their mouths when they light up a cigarette. The Bible says with an angry man do not go.

Again this is not true.
Man in your passage means person.
You Lanolin are considered mankind.
It does not matter if one is male or female both can blow up or hold in.

I was thinking how anger can manifest itself, and for women a lot of the time we dont get angry like men do because we have a release valve which is called crying. But for men its like they are ashamed to cry?!

See. proverbs 22:24

I have seen and experienced the anger of a woman so for you to put all the bad stuff on a man is really not truth. Living on only one sided viewpoints is really not healthy. For not all women just break down and cry when they are frustrated, especially in this time of our lives.

And crying is not of God either. It is a fleshly reaction... A lust of the flesh

Godly sorrow yes is good if it produces repentance and the person repents and moves on. But if they allow it to consume their life.. it's not good, they will be allowing the devil to control their life. The spirit of grief however is not godly or good at all. It destroys people's lives (I have seen and exeperienced this first hand).

The scripture above speaks not only to anger but to all emotions that we allow to rule our lives. Anger is just one example. Someone who allows their emotions to rule their lives is allowing the enemy of our souls to control or move us away from where God wants us to be. Being emotionally ruled is dangerous for anyone. It produces a wishy washy person who is
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
James 1:6 KJV

Faith is what pleases God.. and faith is not an emotion.

Back