Essential vs Nonessential

It has been well said that “there should be unity in all things essential, liberality in all things nonessential, and charity in all things!” The first is everyone believing the same doctrine concerning the receiving of faith (salvation). The second is respectfully allowing the variance of understanding of beliefs between one another. The third is always exercising love to one another within the first two conditions.

Essential doctrines (ED) are those which Scripture teaches concerning the requirements of receiving salvation; nonessential doctrines (ND) are teachings that are not related to receiving salvation but to increasing the strength of faith in salvation, i.e. spiritual growth in our understanding of Scripture (an unceasing progression).

An example of ED which I believe to be most inclusive is Romans 10:9; “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”

An example of ND is the issue concerning teachings that relate to the permanency or temporality of one’s salvation, e.g. what one believes concerning either conclusion has no relation to that of receiving salvation but rather that of growing in the faith of salvation.

Looking at the ED of Romans 10:9, I believe the phrase “confess with your mouth that Jesus is the Lord” means to admit in your communication (signing for the impaired) that He is the Savior (Christ - sole source of redemption -1John 2:22). “Believe in your heart” to me means to always accept as true. “That God has raised Him from the dead” is a twofold conclusion in that believing in His resurrection presumes the ED concerning His incarnation (1John 4:3; 2John 1:7).

In my opinion, those who communicate with respect and kindness are the only ones who will increase their understanding (regardless of their knowledge of Scripture) in the Word of God because it shows their intentions are not out of opposition to one another, but to learn “the Word of truth.” My reason for sharing this article is not only for attempting to be instructional but more importantly so that we will remember the primary reason for learning God’s truths, to “come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God’s Son that we will be mature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ” (Eph 4:13 NLT), which sole standard is love to one another (John 15:12). The more we prioritize love to others as our motive in everything, the greater will be our practical love for God, regardless of the zeal for love to Him (1John 4:20).

For Christ’s Sake (Rom 15:30; 1Co 4:10; 2Co 12:10; Eph 4:32)

An example of ED which I believe to be most inclusive is Romans 10:9; “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”
This may well be essential doctrine as you call it.. BUT it is not a stand alone doctrine of one verse that replaces the rest of the New Testament.
This verse in chapter 10 of Romans is referring back to Romans 6 [baptism by full immersion] and chapter 8 [walking in the Spirit].
If you want a stand out verse that summarizes the whole fundamental essential must do to be saved requirement - then it can only be:

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Here it all is - what one MUST do in order to embrace the gospel of salvation.

This may well be essential doctrine as you call it.. BUT it is not a stand alone doctrine of one verse that replaces the rest of the New Testament.
This verse in chapter 10 of Romans is referring back to Romans 6 [baptism by full immersion] and chapter 8 [walking in the Spirit].
If you want a stand out verse that summarizes the whole fundamental essential must do to be saved requirement - then it can only be:

Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Here it all is - what one MUST do in order to embrace the gospel of salvation.
Hi Waggles - Appreciate your reply! They would have to first know and believe Jesus as Savoir first (confess the Lord Jesus) before they can repent, right?

Due to many misunderstanding the title of my article I found it necessary to post an attempt to explain it (which to me bears repeating where I have already mention this). All doctrine is essential, but not all doctrine concerns the same issue, i.e. to receive salvation it is required (essential doctrine) that one believe in Christ’s expiation for our sin, but believing or not believing in, let’s say OSAS or God’s omniscience concerning all things, is not required (nonessential doctrine) to receive salvation.

I think differentiating between these two issues (being saved and growing in the strength of faith) will aid us more in how we share our beliefs.

God Bless Us

I always thought that the most essential thing to think about is the gospel message itself. And, that, to me, has always been summed up as follows:

Mark 12:30-31New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
30 you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

I always thought that the most essential thing to think about is the gospel message itself. And, that, to me, has always been summed up as follows:

30 you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
This actually is a command from God. The gospel message is Luke 4:18-19
Blessings

This actually is a command from God. The gospel message is Luke 4:18-19
Blessings

Really? I looked up those verses and it talks about proclaiming the good news. I mean, that is a part of the gospel message of course. But, I always thought of the gospel message as John 3:16, and the verses I referenced above. Interesting.

Really? I looked up those verses and it talks about proclaiming the good news. I mean, that is a part of the gospel message of course. But, I always thought of the gospel message as John 3:16, and the verses I referenced above. Interesting.
For a long time I truly did not have any verses to put to what the gospel actually was...I think I thought it was referring to the great commission. But the more I learn and read, and listen to my pastors teach....the more I am getting a more solid view in things.

There are a lot of things in the Bible that gets mistakenly twisted around by the world, and then it gets into our thinking. Things that were commands...like love your neighbor and enemies, and forgive if you have ought against anyone.

But if one reads them at face value, with no preconceived ideas...one realizes that they are saying something we didn't realize.

Blessings to you

Hi KJ - Thanks for your reply. These passages address the Law (Mat 2:36), which is performed by self. The present dispensation teaches that love to God and to others is performed by the "life" of Christ (Col 3:4), through the Spirit (Gal 5:25). Hence the progression between dispensations which in Christ completes the believer's place in the Father.

Blessings!

Jesus, himself, tells us all clearly what the gospel is...

Mark 16: 14-20
14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart,
because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

There are a lot of things in the Bible that gets mistakenly twisted around by the world, and then it gets into our thinking. Things that were commands...like love your neighbor and enemies, and forgive if you have ought against anyone.

But if one reads them at face value, with no preconceived ideas...one realizes that they are saying something we didn't realize.

Blessings to you
Can you please elaborate on what you mean? Or give examples from the scriptures? I'm just a bit lost with what you mean when you say "one realizes that they are saying something we didn't realize"?

Blessings.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean? Or give examples from the scriptures? I'm just a bit lost with what you mean when you say "one realizes that they are saying something we didn't realize"?

Blessings.

I apologize for not responding sooner.....

I meant that when we read the Word without the preconceived ideas that the devil gives to religion and the world and religion then preaches them from the pulpit and then gets placed in our minds..... we begin to realize that what the world says that the Bible says (like people saying that Jesus taught (preached) love and acceptance) is not really what He taught or said....He commanded us to love and forgive, but taught (preached) repentance and the kingdom of God)

But unless we are getting in the Word and meditating( like God told Joshua) day and night...keeping the Word before our eyes constantly...then we will not realize that the world has put their own twist on the Word in order to make what they are doing acceptable.

Hope this helps :)
Blessings

I apologize for not responding sooner.....

I meant that when we read the Word without the preconceived ideas that the devil gives to religion and the world and religion then preaches them from the pulpit and then gets placed in our minds..... we begin to realize that what the world says that the Bible says (like people saying that Jesus taught (preached) love and acceptance) is not really what He taught or said....He commanded us to love and forgive, but taught (preached) repentance and the kingdom of God)

But unless we are getting in the Word and meditating( like God told Joshua) day and night...keeping the Word before our eyes constantly...then we will not realize that the world has put their own twist on the Word in order to make what they are doing acceptable.

Hope this helps :)
Blessings
Very true. Thanks for clarification:)

Blessings

Back