Eternal Life?

Eternal Life is not a what, it's a who.

1 John 5:11-12 And his witness is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who has not the Son of God has not the life.

When you have the Son, you have eternal life.

How do you have the Son?

John 5:4-8 Remain in Me, and I in you. Just as a branch is unable to produce fruit by itself unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in Me. "I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me. If anyone does not remain in Me, he is thrown aside like a branch and he withers. They gather them, throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you want and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this: that you produce much fruit and prove to be My disciples.

Eternal life is bound up in our relationship with the Father through the Son.

John 17:3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Because eternal life is based on our relationship with God, it can be neglected just like any relationship.

Hebrews 2:1-4 We must, therefore, pay even more attention to what we have heard, so that we will not drift away. For if the message spoken through angels was legally binding and every transgression and disobedience received a just punishment, how will we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was first spoken by the Lord and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him.

Eternal life is a free gift to all who believe but it’s a gift that is only found in the Son.

1 John 5:11 And this is the testimony, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

The deposit of God’s Spirit into us is our guarantee but it’s also a means to empower us to live as sons of God. Let us not neglect the gift nor rebel against the saving power of God working in our lives to produce a life that will be eternal.

Hebrews 6:4-8 For it is impossible to renew to repentance those who were once enlightened, who tasted the heavenly gift, became partakers of the Holy Spirit, tasted God’s good word and the powers of the coming age, and who have fallen away, because, to their own harm, they are recrucifying the Son of God and holding Him up to contempt. For ground that has drunk the rain that has often fallen on it and that produces vegetation useful to those it is cultivated for receives a blessing from God. But if it produces thorns and thistles, it is worthless and about to be cursed, and will be burned at the end.

Back