Evidence That Only The Sins Prior To Conversion Are Forgiven

I hope this thread gets back on track :cool:
Okay, your wish is our command ...

I believe there are plenty of NT verses that teach us ...
One must endure with his/her faith until the end of his/her life to receive eternal life.

Is failure to do this a SIN?

Meanwhile, I think I'll have some chilis for breakfast (it's 9:30 here).

The reason I did not fight to return to the church that excommunicated me (I could have, and it would not have taken much) was because they claimed to live without sin, and I KNEW, personally, that some of them were some of the biggest sinners in churches. I'd figured that out much earlier. Furthermore, I had figured out that I wasn't perfect. Perhaps my greatest sin was initially my pride that I wasn't as bad as the pastor I had then who bragged, from the pulpit, about how he cheated people in business; the lady whose every word seemed to drip with gossip; the vindictiveness and meanness of the assistant pastor and his wife; . . . I could go on.

One cannot attend a church 50.5 years without making friends and creating relationships. I realized, then, that an awful lot of these people who claimed they never sinned (for a year, for 8 years, for 50), if they truly believed what they proclaimed, had a great deal of unforgiven sin in their lives, because they dared not admit sin, thus opening the way to confession and forgiveness.
  1. Either the whole passel of them were going to hell in that proverbial hand basket
  2. They and I were misunderstanding the Scriptures.
To be honest, I could not handle the first idea, so I embraced the second.

Do I sin? Yes.
  • I can't absolutely figure out when I am warning people about such people and ideas as those listed in this post and when it is gossip.
  • I don't know how to always honor my parents while still talking to others about why I know about abuse.
  • I can be stingy.
  • Sometimes I say I will do something then put it off long enough that I forget to do it.
  • I have a neighbor on one side of me who hates me because I am a believer. Nothing I do helps. I have given up on her, except for an occasional prayer.
  • And writing of prayer, I don't pray enough.
  • Oh, I could think up more . . . .
So I cannot sit here and claim I don't sin. And even with my 50.5 years of experience with a people who claim they are sin-free, it still amazes me when I hear of, or read about, those who say they've never sinned since they became believers. As stated above, I have never seen that happen. Even the most perfect people in that church sinned, even though they could not admit it.

Even the most perfect people in that church sinned, even though they could not admit it.
Thanks for sharing ... it has been most instructive!

Meanwhile, here's my testimony re: a young Spirit-filled man
who was my companion evangelist for one week in eastern Europe (it was his turn).

He related a vision the Lord had given him, and the short of it was:
The Lord showed him clearly ... several prominent people
(still alive and well) in his evangelical/pentecostal church in hell.

Just noticed what this thread is about!
So, were these prominent church people ever born-again with their sins forgiven?
I don't know.
But, this has nothing to do with perhaps the #1 warning to Christians ...
One must endure with his/her faith until the end of his/her life to receive eternal life.

One of the 9 power gifts of the Spirit is the gift of discernment (1 Cor 12).
Therefore, some of the Spirit-filled membership would have been given
discernment re: if these prominent people truly were born-again (or not).

Just something else to read and weep about.

Last edited:
We receive eternal life immediately at the point of placing our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. Enduring is what we do as believers. Some persist faithfully, while others are burdened down and falter. They are still children of God. That doesn't make them any less our spiritual brothers and sisters. It is up to us to fight the good fight, and with our armor, to shield them, minister to them with our gifts, and to intercede for them. We stand in the gap for our struggling kin.

The Lord showed him clearly ... several prominent people
(still alive and well) in his evangelical/pentecostal church in hell....
if these prominent people truly were born-again (or not).

Just something else to read and weep about.
Breaks one's heart.

We receive eternal life immediately at the point of placing our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation. Enduring is what we do as believers. Some persist faithfully, while others are burdened down and falter. They are still children of God. That doesn't make them any less our spiritual brothers and sisters. It is up to us to fight the good fight, and with our armor, to shield them, minister to them with our gifts, and to intercede for them. We stand in the gap for our struggling kin.
Scripture says this is an absolute necessity for eternal life: Enduring is what we do as believers.

The reason I did not fight to return to the church that excommunicated me (I could have, and it would not have taken much) was because they claimed to live without sin, and I KNEW, personally, that some of them were some of the biggest sinners in churches. I'd figured that out much earlier. Furthermore, I had figured out that I wasn't perfect. Perhaps my greatest sin was initially my pride that I wasn't as bad as the pastor I had then who bragged, from the pulpit, about how he cheated people in business; the lady whose every word seemed to drip with gossip; the vindictiveness and meanness of the assistant pastor and his wife; . . . I could go on.

One cannot attend a church 50.5 years without making friends and creating relationships. I realized, then, that an awful lot of these people who claimed they never sinned (for a year, for 8 years, for 50), if they truly believed what they proclaimed, had a great deal of unforgiven sin in their lives, because they dared not admit sin, thus opening the way to confession and forgiveness.
  1. Either the whole passel of them were going to hell in that proverbial hand basket
  2. They and I were misunderstanding the Scriptures.
To be honest, I could not handle the first idea, so I embraced the second.

Do I sin? Yes.
  • I can't absolutely figure out when I am warning people about such people and ideas as those listed in this post and when it is gossip.
  • I don't know how to always honor my parents while still talking to others about why I know about abuse.
  • I can be stingy.
  • Sometimes I say I will do something then put it off long enough that I forget to do it.
  • I have a neighbor on one side of me who hates me because I am a believer. Nothing I do helps. I have given up on her, except for an occasional prayer.
  • And writing of prayer, I don't pray enough.
  • Oh, I could think up more . . . .
So I cannot sit here and claim I don't sin. And even with my 50.5 years of experience with a people who claim they are sin-free, it still amazes me when I hear of, or read about, those who say they've never sinned since they became believers. As stated above, I have never seen that happen. Even the most perfect people in that church sinned, even though they could not admit it.

Nice, honest and wise post.

Just my contribution to your thoughts Tezrili...

1 Pet 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

James 5:20 Remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.

A pastor may have faults, but he sweats day in and day out for the Lord in ways we can't always see. We need to gauge depth of intent. As God does. God does not care that we are sinners if He has our heart. The decision to become a BAC is a great depth of intent. The decision to go to church is a depth of intent. The decision to support a church. The decision to go to church and help others...etc

Scripture says this is an absolute necessity for eternal life: Enduring is what we do as believers.

Scripture says a lot of things, but most importantly that salvation is a gift of God by His grace, accessed by faith, and that He has the power to keep us securely in His hand. Once saved, we embark on a journey where we learn about abiding and enduring, but our place in the kingdom is sure.

Mmm I always thought that had to do with courting the favor of God rather than determinism since it seemed to echo in pairing with vs 3

"Commit your work to the Lord,
and your plans will be established."​
But you left out verse 4 to go with that. ;) The Lord has made everything for its purpose,even the wicked for the day of trouble.

Not to forget all of Bible prophecy. Those things God foretells to happen according to his will and planning.

As in John 14:29 when Jesus said: And now I have told you before it takes place, so that when it does take place you may believe.

Scripture says a lot of things, but most importantly that salvation is a gift of God by His grace, accessed by faith, and that He has the power to keep us securely in His hand. Once saved, we embark on a journey where we learn about abiding and enduring, but our place in the kingdom is sure.
What you said is nice, but really I gave you the like because of your avatar. That pic made my day.

Back