Facebook - Help or Harm?

5 years ago I left Facebook for good and haven't looked back. I don't miss the contentious trolls, hypersensitive malcontents, and combative troublemakers.
yes, I have been reading about how tiktokers, not content with the how police handle crime and becoming investigators themselves and even going as far as visiting the scenes of the crime and leaving their own views on their pages and even starting Facebook groups bashing criminals or would be criminals and releasing other private information and even going as far as descending on them in true vigilante style.

This is so scary. especially with deep fake tech nowadays.

It's a marketing tool (social media) just like newspapers and magazines used to be venues for advertising. I wouldn't put any personal information on it since there are all these third parties on it that you don't know trolling for information to try and sell you stuff.

Yes there is a time and place for advertising but if you want to be bombarded EVERY day with ads, sure sign up to Facebook. They want you to login and never leave, and hopefully spend all your time and money on it. Again, no thanks.

It's a marketing tool (social media) just like newspapers and magazines used to be venues for advertising. I wouldn't put any personal information on it since there are all these third parties on it that you don't know trolling for information to try and sell you stuff.

Yes there is a time and place for advertising but if you want to be bombarded EVERY day with ads, sure sign up to Facebook. They want you to login and never leave, and hopefully spend all your time and money on it. Again, no thanks.
Very good point. I never thought of it as a marketing tool. 🤔

It's a marketing tool (social media) just like newspapers and magazines used to be venues for advertising. I wouldn't put any personal information on it since there are all these third parties on it that you don't know trolling for information to try and sell you stuff. Yes there is a time and place for advertising but if you want to be bombarded EVERY day with ads, sure sign up to Facebook. They want you to login and never leave, and hopefully spend all your time and money on it. Again, no thanks.

Hello Lanolin;

You grew up as a millennial and is exactly at a time when social media, internet marketing and demographics was taking off as you describe.

Back in the late 70s and 80s I took a stab at marketing, advertising but from a (paper and knocking on doors approach,) if you know what I mean, and then in the mid-90s I tried at the early birth of the internet.

I wasn't good at it nor did I enjoy it. During the Facebook days there is a management page for the member and I always got frustrated trying to figure out how to do something to accomplish something simple on my account. My nephew on the other hand is 19 and could figure it out in a snap.

Back