Faith And Trusting In Jesus - Do I Trust?

My whole Christian experience has been clouded with confusion and doubt. I ran across a Christian book, and the title isn't important, but in one side paragraph it said, "This does not mean that Christ's work is effective for everyone, because not everyone is in union with Him. We are united to Christ by faith - that is, by trusting Him as our Savior. But the moment we trust in Christ, we become partakers of and beneficiaries of all that He did in both His life and death."
The rest of the book means nothing to me if I don't have first the faith to trust Jesus as my savior. The rest of the book was about how Christians use the gospel for living.

Simply put, I don't know if I've ever had genuine faith. I may have. But I don't know. Maybe I'm psyching myself out, and I'm making the simple things hard to understand. Do I put what trust I have into Christ? Yes. Is it very calm, and confident? No. Is it very much at all? No. I've been suffering a lot recently, longing to see God's Kingdom in my heart, and I feel like I hit a brick wall. Do most people who know they trust in Christ know all the time, or does questioning come to mind?

If anybody has some advice for me, please share it.

Last edited:
Hi banjo71
I just started being in this forum a while ago, and by coming across your thread I felt like I wanted to encourage you.
That paragraph you've just read seems to have an inclination to Calvinistic doctrine but I understand that your struggle is if you do have genuine faith.
I too had a moment that I doubted if I ever really belonged to God, because of recurring sins and sometimes personal questions that cloud your mind about your redemption, we long to have the assurance that we are in genuine faith we wish to evaluate ourselves and I think that's a very good thing to do. [2 Cor 13:5]
The book of Romans says that no one is righteous not even one, and that Christ came to this world to be the deliverer of our bondage to our sinful hearts and nature. Thus, we can say that one of the clear evidences would be our sanctification, I recall this is what others call the "Jesus Effect" In other words, if there is genuine change in your life.
Here's a list:
1. Do you enjoy having fellowship with Christ and His redeemed people? (1 John 1:3)
2. Would people say you walk in the light, or walk in the darkness? (1 John 1:6-7)
3. Do you admit and confess your sin? (1 John 1:8)
4. Are you obedient to God's Word? (1 John 2:3-5)
5. Does your life indicate you love God rather than the world? (1 John 2:15)
6. Is your life characterized by "doing what is right"? (1 John 2:29)
7. Do you seek to maintain a pure life? (1 John 3:3)
8. Do you see a decreasing pattern of sin in your life? (1 John 3:5-6)
[Note: this refers to not continuing in sin as a way of life, not a total absence of sin.]
9. Do you demonstrate love for other Christians? (1 John 3:14)
10. Do you "walk the walk," versus just "talking the talk"? (1 John 3:18-19)
11. Do you maintain a clear conscience? (1 John 3:21)
12. Do you experience victory in your Christian walk? (1 John 5:4)

The Holy Spirit’s purpose in our lives is to “conform us to the likeness of his son” (Romans 8:29) and to develop in our character the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23): “Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”

John 10:27-29, Jesus said "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand."
So then, if these are evident in your life, it's not possible to say that the Lord has not changed you from the inside out, for man is utterly sinful, but "this" life is only possible by the power of God.
but I still sin even though I try my best to live the life God wants me to...
The Lord goes ahead and says that if you are indeed genuinely saved... then nothing else will ever make you lose your salvation, now that is so amazingly wonderful isn't it!?
it sets you free from all worries! and you can rest in the strong hands of God that never fail.
(but don't take it as a license to sin though because that contradicts God's purpose of sanctification for you)
So brother I want you to enjoy the fullness of the freedom and joy a Christian could have in Christ, for whom the Son sets free, is free indeed.

Sufferings, are inescapable at times and are always a part in life, however with Christ I believe you can get through them.
Romans 5:1-4 - "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. And not only this, but we also exult(rejoice) in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;"
Romans 8:18 - "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us."

So take heart, if you have all these things, your desire will not remain a longing.
God Bless you, I hope I helped even in a little way.

Here's a list:
1. Do you enjoy having fellowship with Christ and His redeemed people? (1 John 1:3)
2. Would people say you walk in the light, or walk in the darkness? (1 John 1:6-7)
3. Do you admit and confess your sin? (1 John 1:8)
4. Are you obedient to God's Word? (1 John 2:3-5)
5. Does your life indicate you love God rather than the world? (1 John 2:15)
6. Is your life characterized by "doing what is right"? (1 John 2:29)
7. Do you seek to maintain a pure life? (1 John 3:3)
8. Do you see a decreasing pattern of sin in your life? (1 John 3:5-6)
[Note: this refers to not continuing in sin as a way of life, not a total absence of sin.]
9. Do you demonstrate love for other Christians? (1 John 3:14)
10. Do you "walk the walk," versus just "talking the talk"? (1 John 3:18-19)
11. Do you maintain a clear conscience? (1 John 3:21)
12. Do you experience victory in your Christian walk? (1 John 5:4)

I'll try and answer these as honestly as possible -

1. I enjoy fellowship with Christ but not always with his redeemed people - it depends on their attitude.
2. I walk in the darkness much of the time when it comes to being assured of my salvation.
3. I admit and confess my sin.
4. Sometimes I am and sometimes it seems to overwhelming.
5. I love God rather than the world.
6. Not in all areas.
7. I do, but I slip and give in a lot.
8. Yes
9. Some of them, but I have a rough time with some that seem to not care whether you're suffering or not.
10. I walk the walk when it comes to obedience, but when I explain peace and joy to some new convert, I'm talking the walk, because these things I seek for myself.
11. If that's done by confessing sin immediately, then I do. But even confessed sin bothers me a lot.
12. Small victories - few and far between.

In all my life I have never seen a Christian who did not struggle with sin.
Also I have not seen genuine Christians live as the unbelievers do and they are in a constant battle.
banjo i suppose the doubts come when you are in the "darkness" about the assurance of your salvation, is there something that makes you have a hard time believing you have genuine faith?

What is Christian faith

You got an excellent answer already. I am just going to give you my shorter summary of what I see from scripture.

Christian faith = believing in Jesus as Lord. Making Him Lord of our life and having a revelation by the Holy Spirit that Jesus is Lord (1 Cor 12:3, Matt 16:16-17). For the Holy Spirit to reveal this to us, we need to draw near to God (James 4:8) on His terms (Matt 16:24, Psalm 51:17, Rom 12:9, James 4:6). Then we need to daily judge ourselves truthfully (1 Cor 11:31, Phil 2:12) to stay 'in Christ'.

There is much we can learn from the Jews in Abraham's bosom!!!!!!! Abraham's bosom was not Heaven and it was not Hades. So the question we must ask is, ''since Jesus made it clear that NOBODY passed the righteous requirement of the law except for Him, WHO was in Abraham's bosom and HOW did they get there? It was those who listened to Psalm 51:17, those who had a heart after God's Acts 13:22. God's heart hates sin and loves righteousness Psalm 97:10. If we would sincerely repent, He will forgive us OT and NT. Salvation that is not of our own works less anyone should boast (OT = Jonah 2:9 NT = Eph 2:9), is when Jesus came and fetched them out of Abraham's bosom and took them to be with Him in Heaven.

Last edited:
Stop over-analyzing Christianity! If you are genuine in your heart, and pray to receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then read the Holy Bible and seek to live by His example. Also, seek out other Christians at a church or other group. If you are truly saved, you will see evidence of this in time, but give it some time. Your life will change for the better, but don't expect paradise on earth. I still struggle and sin daily. Trust in God and let go of your problems and give them to Him. Always keep praying and talking with God. Being a Christian is a lifelong journey and is hard work - you won't hear angels singing or be surrounded by a blinding light (At least I don't think so..?). Take care and God bless you. I'll pray for you.

Stop over-analyzing Christianity! If you are genuine in your heart, and pray to receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, then read the Holy Bible and seek to live by His example. Also, seek out other Christians at a church or other group. If you are truly saved, you will see evidence of this in time, but give it some time. Your life will change for the better, but don't expect paradise on earth. I still struggle and sin daily. Trust in God and let go of your problems and give them to Him. Always keep praying and talking with God. Being a Christian is a lifelong journey and is hard work - you won't hear angels singing or be surrounded by a blinding light (At least I don't think so..?). Take care and God bless you. I'll pray for you.

I have a very strong tendency to over-analyze things. I suffer from schizophrenia and having that seems to make things more difficult for me and my thought patterns. Thanks for your reply.

In all my life I have never seen a Christian who did not struggle with sin.
Also I have not seen genuine Christians live as the unbelievers do and they are in a constant battle.
banjo i suppose the doubts come when you are in the "darkness" about the assurance of your salvation, is there something that makes you have a hard time believing you have genuine faith?

I don't know what it really is that makes me doubt my assurance. I'm extra sensitive, I have schizophrenia, and I've been betrayed so many times in my past emotionally. I suppose these things contribute to this doubt. I just know to keep going on, and wait for a brighter day.

I've been betrayed so many times in my past emotionally.
I see i never thought about an illness bothering you, if you have schizophrenia then i suppose it really does contribute to your doubt, since disorganized thinking or emotions might clutter up your mind though I have never experienced any mental illnesses it must have been hard for you all this time. :( I will also be praying for you.

but don't lose heart, since most of the time the emotions you have might be in disarray TRUST in the words of the Lord with all your heart, so then if God says you are saved then who is to say you aren't right? Despite condition or emotion, the truth is something that stands like a rock, a solid foundation.
I provided a lot of information above :D but remember no Christian is perfect, for only Jesus has lived that life so that His righteousness might be imputed to those who believe in Him.
Looking at your answers, I can see that you are trying hard to live a righteous life, try not to give in to your sins each time you are tempted just a little advice (y) but I know you know it in your heart and by the way I like your answer at number 8.
A common pitfall for many Christians is that when they sin they might be doubting even more about their salvation but I always find comfort with this verse.
John 6:37 - "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out"
John 10: 27-29
1 John 5:10-13
Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

What's important is that you truly believe in Jesus, that you repent wholeheartedly of your sins and you follow Him and His commands as your Lord and Savior then as the Bible itself says.
You my dear friend will be saved.

Romans 10:9 - "that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved"

If your emotions cause you to doubt, don't listen to your emotions! but instead believe what the word of God says.
For feelings come and go especially with your schizophrenia but the word of God lasts forever. :) always remember to keep up your relationship with Jesus, praying, talking, reading the Bible and worship too, I believe that will definitely help you.
So do not doubt, whoever Jesus has set free is truly free, if you have indeed genuine faith all that's left is for you to believe that you have it according to His word.

Last edited:
Banjo, let me address your question, are you born again?

Peter tells us in his letter what it takes to be born again,

... having been born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, through the living Word of God, and abiding forever. 1Pe 1:23

He is teaching us there are only two necessary elements to our regeneration, (1) incorruptible seed, (2) the Word of God. What this means is the sperm of the Holy Spirit, joins with, fertilizes a particular verse (the ovum) in the Word of God and a sinner is born again (just like human conception, that's why Jesus called it being "born again"), and in verse 24 he gives us the verse used in his regeneration from Isa 40:7 and then in verse 25 he says this is how the Gospel is preach to you, me, ...individually.

So, do you know the verse the Lord used in a supernatural moment in time when you knew you were destined for Hell, you understood the Gospel message that Jesus died in your place, and, believing in faith, in your heart (not your mind) you have received Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, ...also, just like you own date of birth, you will know when you were born again.

It really is that simple, but oh how many try to complicate it, if you don't know the verse and you can't cite a date, don't be dismayed or alarmed, God is working in you, drawing you to Himself, that is why you are here asking questions on a Christian forum, may I suggest you take your Bible, get alone with Him in a quiet place and start reading, asking Him questions, ...don't worry, all that are given to Jesus will come to Him and He won't lose any, or one, not even you, just remember, it is the Father that decides when a sinner is born again,

...as many as received Him, He gave to them authority to become the children of God, to those who believe on His name,
who were born, not of bloods, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but were born of God.
John 1:12, 13

If you do know the verse the Lord used and the date you were born again, then you are born again, a new creation in Christ 1 Cor 5:17 and you are being hassled by the enemy, so if you truly know (in your heart, not your head), then state it here and we will continue on with whatever response you give.

In His Love,

Gene

In His Love,

Gene

Back