Faith

It's whether what they actually teach and hold to (in theory and in practice) is actually what the Bible teaches. For me, this is the crucial test.

The proper biblical teaching of doctrine best discerned through the Holy Spirit and the circumstances the Lord has allowed me to be in.

Acts 2:41.

(The sprinking of infants is not in the Bible.)
What age to they get baptism?

I was 7 when I received the catholic one. My dad wanted me to be conscious. Ideally it would have been at 12 but my parents divorced and my mom wanted me to have the sacrament with the other kids.

What age to they get baptism?

I was 7 when I received the catholic one. My dad wanted me to be conscious. Ideally it would have been at 12 but my parents divorced and my mom wanted me to have the sacrament with the other kids.

In Acts 2:41 no age is specified, but public testimony through baptism (which means immerse) was done by those who believed, that is, consciously and actively, who 'gladly received his word'.

Baptism is the first step in obedience to God after accepting Salvation from the Lord, it is a personal AND public testimony to the world saying you are a follower of Jesus Christ. It is something that as a believer you choose to do to become a member of the Church. It is not just a dunk in the water.

Christ did it.
Christ said to do it.
The early Church followed this practice.
There are many examples of people accepting Salvation and getting baptized in the Bible.

It is not up to the church you go to (accept for scheduling maybe), it's not up to your parents or Pastor-though he may counsel and ask questions about your acceptance of salvation; it is a decision-an act of your will to say: 'yes, I am a Christian and I am willing to be obedient to Jesus Christ and follow Him rather than the world.'

This is a big step in your relationship between you and God. Some argue that the Holy Spirit will not commune with you until as a true believer you seek baptism; hence the term: "believer's baptism".

As farouk pointed out; any type of 'christening' as an infant or forced baptism is not biblical and not recognized by God as He directed.

BUT, before you can be baptized into the true Body of Christ (the Church); Salvation must come first. This is a choice and an action you must take as a believer.

Lot's of people will be "baptized" that will unfortunately not walk through the 'pearly gates'. Some refer to this as "fire insurance". The only way to heaven is faith through God's Grace. Not confession to a priest, not charity, not indulgences, not prayer, not tithing, not church attendance, not 'being a good person', not by any "work" we can do. Jesus Christ DID ALL the work-"it is finished". We just have to accept, believe and follow.

It took about five years for me to conclude that the Catholic Church was the true church of Christ. I grew up with a lot of misconceptions (Catholics worship Mary and saints, Catholics believe you have to work your way into heaven, Catholicism goes against the scriptures, Catholics go to priests for forgiveness and bypass God, Catholics practice idolatry, Catholics are superstitious, etc. etc.). After much praying, studying, and asking both Catholic priests, friars, and apologists and asking my protestant pastors, former youth leaders, learning more about the reformation, learning about the Council of Trent/Nicea/Vatican I and II, and so forth, I realized what I had missed for so many years.

I just wanted the truth. Christ founded one church and there are thousands of denominations--they can't all be right. I wanted to grow closer and closer to Him, and the more I realized how following a denomination that was started by man, the more I felt further. I ultimately came home to the Catholic Church.

Lysander, I think it's pretty funny that people would say catholic us not the real thing since it's started by them. It's funny how some people think they know better just cos one faith talk more to then than an other.

In the end for me, what matters is that I follow the word of Jesus and God as best I can.

Lysander, I think it's pretty funny that people would say catholic us not the real thing since it's started by them. It's funny how some people think they know better just cos one faith talk more to then than an other.

In the end for me, what matters is that I follow the word of Jesus and God as best I can.

Amen.

Actually there is no linear record with the popes of Rome that goes all the way back to Christ. What there is that has abided independently of human orndination is 'the faith once delivered' (Jude 3), believers being 'built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone' (Ephesians 2:20).

Actually there is no linear record with the popes of Rome that goes all the way back to Christ. What there is that has abided independently of human orndination is 'the faith once delivered' (Jude 3), believers being 'built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone' (Ephesians 2:20).

You don't believe St. Peter was the first pope?

You don't believe St. Peter was the first pope?

'Upon this rock' referred to Peter's great declaration of Christ's deity, on which the church's doctrine was founded. Matthew 16:16 (It wasn't a charter for a group of men, for whom there is no historical record anyway until many years afterwards, to give themselves the unchallenged right to keep adding and interpreting doctrine as they alone saw fit.)

'Upon this rock' referred to Peter's great declaration of Christ's deity, on which the church's doctrine was founded. Matthew 16:16 (It wasn't a charter for a group of men, for whom there is no historical record anyway until many years afterwards, to give themselves the unchallenged right to keep adding and interpreting doctrine as they alone saw fit.)

Reading further on in Matthew 16:18, he referred to Peter (formerly Simon) as "Petrus" (Peter--meaning rock), and expressed in Matthew 16:19 that in His physical absence, Peter was his vicar.

Reading further on in Matthew 16:18, he referred to Peter (formerly Simon) as "Petrus" (Peter--meaning rock), and expressed in Matthew 16:19 that in His physical absence, Peter was his vicar.

...and in Greek, petros and petra (the two words used in the passage) are different; it follows in the context of Peter's great declaration of the foundational Deity of the Lord Jesus Christ. The preaching of the gospel by the Apostles was the key to the kingdom.

Back