Favorite Books and Why (other than the Bible)

Actually, the books I had as a child (and my brother as well) was Little Black Sambo, and I found a very tattered and used copy later on when my children were growing up. I tried to acquire it because it is a cute story and I thought the pictures cute and not at all demeaning. The little boy pictures was "black" as some Africans are. Africans come in various shades of dark skin. I am caucasian but not as white as some and not as mellowed-out as others. I couldn't get a good copy of the book when my children were growing up. It was changed to Little brave Sambo. And that is good, but not the author's intent.

So much has occured unnecessarily because of perceived biases.

I'm glad to finally meet another person who adores this book. BTW you can get it on Amazon, I believe.

The truth?
The Little House series.
I have read them over and over for the past 27 years.
They have always given my life a sense of peace, comfort and simplicity~

I always liked the Little House series also. And I like the Anne of Green Gables books as well. And there are some Emily books in a series as well....the first being Emily of New Moon. And then I also like The Secret Garden and A Little Princess.

If like the Little House Books, then you might like Janette Oke. She is a Christian author. I found a link: Janette Oke

I have the Love Comes Softly series, The Canadian West series, The Prairie Legacy series, and several of the Women of the West books. Her books are very simplistically written, but so inspirational.

Other authors/ books that I enjoy: Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Dean Koontz, Edgar Allen Poe, Wallace Stevens, Jack London, John Grisham, The Elizabeth Gail series, etc.

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb

I can't even think of all the books and authors I like. :( Too many.

I always liked the Little House series also. And I like the Anne of Green Gables books as well. And there are some Emily books in a series as well....the first being Emily of New Moon. And then I also like The Secret Garden and A Little Princess.

If like the Little House Books, then you might like Janette Oke. She is a Christian author. I found a link: Janette Oke

I have the Love Comes Softly series, The Canadian West series, The Prairie Legacy series, and several of the Women of the West books. Her books are very simplistically written, but so inspirational.

I never read the Anne of Green Gables books but my whole family watched the series on PBS and they were great.

I would have to say my favorite book is The North Runner.
The author is R.D. Lawrence. It’s a true story about how he comes across a mistreated and abused wolf/dog. He buys the animal from the owner mainly to get him away from the abuse. The two become best friends. The setting is up in Canada and he writes about their three years together. It is full of knowledge, humor, life’s ups and downs. It’s got it all and is quite an emotional book, especially if you love animals and nature. I can almost guarantee if you love animals and nature… you will love this book. I’ve read it about 6 times and it is always a good read.
http://www.amazon.com/North-Runner-R-D-Lawrence/dp/1896219667/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_I

I would have to say my favorite book is The North Runner.
The author is R.D. Lawrence. It’s a true story about how he comes across a mistreated and abused wolf/dog. He buys the animal from the owner mainly to get him away from the abuse. The two become best friends. The setting is up in Canada and he writes about their three years together. It is full of knowledge, humor, life’s ups and downs. It’s got it all and is quite an emotional book, especially if you love animals and nature. I can almost guarantee if you love animals and nature… you will love this book. I’ve read it about 6 times and it is always a good read.
http://www.amazon.com/North-Runner-R-D-Lawrence/dp/1896219667/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_I

I bet you would like Jack London. :)

Forgot to mention: Dean Koonts - Servants of Twilight.

This old lady raises cane with a mother and her son, saying that he must die because he's the antichrist. She has followers chasing after them.

It's cool. And the ending is the least thing in this world that you would possibly suspect!:eek:

Merciful God of Prophecy by LaHaye: Informs us that God's image is up to us and our behavior. If we see God as full of wrath and punishment, we may need direction in our lives. However, God is full of eternal love and unbounding kindness, grace. A very comforting book that I would recommend highly.

My favorite book is "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. Next to that is "White Fang" and "Call of the Wild" and well, just about everything else that Jack London wrote. Didn't so much care for "Before Adam", but I did like "The Sea Wolf" and a bunch of his short stories as well.

I also like John Steinbeck a lot. I usually read the Chronicles of Pern about once every 2-3 years for fun. And I'm a big fan of the Dragonrider's of Pern series by Anne
McCaffrey.

Right now I'm reading "The Cure for the Common Life" by Max Lucado.

Back