Favourite flowers

Actually, now that ive grown them im not too big a fan of hyacinth. Mine dont smell all that nice and they tend to rot.
Agapanthus do much better in auckland climes, although theres no perfume and tend to grow like weeds. Also known as african lily. The purply ones are popular. Mine havent flowered yet.

Also known as african lily.

Thinking of the word "lily", I've just tried to do one of a water lily flower in the small pond round the back.

wlilly.jpg

The small (say 8' (2.4m) X 6' (1.8m) pond) is chaotic at the moment. Over run with water lilly, iris and I think some form of algae although not the blanket weed that has so often plagued that pond which has plagued that pond (I think it needed to be more shaded) in the past. Maybe it's time for another uproot and start again. Trouble is there will be creatures that like things as they are. The other time we started again, there were quite a few newts in the water we took out.

Given that I yesterday rattled on to Lanolin about Wales, the greenish grey stone that's in front of the mini pond fountain under my windowsill may be of interest. That came from Melynllyn. There are the remains of old works up there. Not sure what state it is now but here's a picture I've found online.
ES2003_170

This particular stone is a honing stone for sharpening things.

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-19_10-56-52.jpeg
    upload_2015-7-19_10-56-52.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1
Given that I yesterday rattled on to Lanolin about Wales, the greenish grey stone that's in front of the mini pond fountain under my windowsill may be of interest. That came from Melynllyn. There are the remains of old works up there. Not sure what state it is now but here's a picture I've found online.
ES2003_170

This particular stone is a honing stone for sharpening things.
The UK is full of these disused wonders isn't it?
I love England, because of the history and heritage. As a member of the National Trust, I like to go to historical places and enjoys the wonders of Gods creations.

The UK is full of these disused wonders isn't it?
I love England, because of the history and heritage. As a member of the National Trust, I like to go to historical places and enjoys the wonders of Gods creations.

Mixed feelings about our UK TBH. I don't see our empire days as nice to others.

But, yes we have a wealth of history (90 something percent of which I'm ignorant of but it's still there.....)

I seem to remember you are somewhere in the peak. Do you know blue jonn caverns?

A sort of side comment: When I was a child and fit. We used to get dragged places. Mum loved the mountains of Snowdonia, we had a holiday when we skirted the Cullins on Skye in Scotland. It's kind of sad that in most of that age I could not appreciate the beauty of God's landscapes and creations. You (maybe I mean I) can view things differently as you get older but you can't turn the clock back.

And again aint it sad. I was once a cub scout and Miss Stevens (who was also the head mistress of the old Ysgol John Bright secondary school) got us out doing things. Like making a small bonfire on the beach to cook sausages on.

Mrs Healey introduced me to Moonfleet, a fantastic kids adventure story where (in my mind) Elziveer Block (himself possibly a bit of a rouge in search of treasure) but ultimately gives his life to save his younger friend in a shipwreck. Never visited the Chesil beach in Dorset but I sort of picture it.

(Or are these really happy memories that I didn't fully get at the time)

England to me is like beatrix potter, famous five stories, and winnie the pooh. And frog and Toad.

Ive only been there once on a sort of back packing tour and also my sister is in London.
There was so much history in every building and rock I was overwhelmed.

The irish, of course, have a different view of the English! I didnt know they hated each other. Or had this love-hate relationship till I went there.

National flowers..
Thistle, english rose. Not sure what ireland and wales have that stands out, I know irish love their potato and welsh like their leeks.

Gorse grows like a weed in nz. Its a huge problem for farmers.
I dont know if anyones been to austria or hails from there, but often wondered what the eldelweiss was like. I picture it as like a snowdrop. But I dont think ive ever seen one.

England to me is like beatrix potter, famous five stories, and winnie the pooh. And frog and Toad.

Ive only been there once on a sort of back packing tour and also my sister is in London.
There was so much history in every building and rock I was overwhelmed.

I think I read all of the Enid Blyton's Famous Five in my own childhood.

The irish, of course, have a different view of the English! I didnt know they hated each other. Or had this love-hate relationship till I went there.

It's very complicated. England was the "all conquering nation". Scots, Irish and Welsh can want their own independence (Republic of Ireland is it's own country but Northern Ireland isn't) and there can be some sort of "Celtic nation" alliance). Northern Ireland in particular has been very torn with parts of the population wanting the (English) crown and others wanting a united Ireland.

Sadly, this has even turned into bloodshed, often with Catholic vs Protestant lines being drawn in NI.

Still, it's quite possible to get on (and have many times played with theoretically "sworn enemies") and I think the move in NI remains for peace.

It's hard even for me to understand. My own leanings have historically been towards the green (and I know quite a few rebel songs) and I don't get on that well with ("Britannia ruling the waves"). On the other hand, I can in my own mind debate the point of nationalism and the price of people not just getting along. It's maybe a minefield I don't understand.

National flowers..
Thistle, english rose. Not sure what ireland and wales have that stands out, I know irish love their potato and welsh like their leeks.

The potato was the main crop for Irish peasants to survive on (read up on the famine). The national flower is the shamrock - a type of clover.

Wales has two the (I think very tasty - I love them to eat) leek and the daffodil.

My mother's birthday today. My father got her a couple of sunflowers.

sflower.jpg

They should look good in the garden. I quite like these (we've had others similarly made but not a sunflower that I remember) types of scarecrow. They don't last that long outside (a season or too) before they fade and get tatty but they are fun.

I am growing four sunflowers..they are about a metre high so far. Even though its winter. I have them in pots.

I am growing four sunflowers..they are about a metre high so far. Even though its winter. I have them in pots.

We've often had a couple grow in the veg plot area round the back. they look great and later, birds love their head of seeds.

Back