Favourite Song And Why

Favourite Song And Why

Hey guys, this is something we do on another forum i post on (Its a Gaming website.......yes im a geek :p and i LOVE IT :p)

We each write our favourite song and why. Its cool cause it really gives insight into what makes people tick. BUT i thought it would be cool to change it a bit, and do our favourite Christian song and favourite Non Christian song and why.

Ill go first and see if it catches on ;)

Favourite Christian Song : Jesus Is - Hillsong London
Why: Its honestly the most beautiful song ive ever heard. I mean, it isnt any better composed isnt particularily fantastic. But i love it. Ive heard it live 3-4 times and its so amazing, its the closest ive ever come to lost in something :)

Favourite Non Christian Song : Apologise - One Republic feat Timbaland
Why : I dont know, if im honest, i just cant stop listening to it. But then again, my favourite non christian song changes all the time.

Favourite Band : Switchfoot
Why : They are so amazing, there lyrics are so insightful and work for me, how bible scriptures can help everyone. They are constantly making me question things i take for granted and reassuring things that confuse me, and the great thing is, although they arent a worship band, they are christian and its so cool because i can share them with my any of my friends, christian or not and it means something to everyone :)

For the most part, my favorites change all the time. It is difficult for me to narrow things down to a favorite or even favorites. A lot of times, during different circumstances in my life, I might hear a song and it just clicks with me at the moment. Then I listen to it to death, but may never listen to it again.

One of my all time favorite secular songs was always "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler.

These days I am stuck on Lifehouse "Quasimodo."

My current Christian song is Amy Grant "All Right."

I have never had an all time favorite Christian song, but there are many that I just love. Speaking of Amy Grant, her music was always my favorite growing up. Even still today, I just love getting out her stuff and putting it on. After she went secular, I just couldn't get into her style and I stopped listening.

There are 2 albums in my lifetime that I feel have a "magical quality" to them. The first is Kansas "Leftoverture" which features "Carry on my Wayward Son" and the wonderful track, "Miracles Out of Nowhere". The album has Christian overtones to it as Kerry Livgren, guitarist, was a devout Christian. He went on to form the Christian band, AD. Check out "Miracles out of Nowhere" if you have the opportunity.

The other is the first Jars of Clay album. "Love Song for a Savior" is back at the top of my list as favorite song.

Some of the lyrics:

"He's more than the laughter or the stars in the heavens
as close as a heartbeat or a song on her lips
someday she'll trust Him and learn how to see Him
someday He'll call her and she will come running
and fall in His arms and the tears will fall down and she'll pray

I want to fall in love with You"

Great stuff.

dot dot dot

I don't know if I can even narrow this down to the top 50...

Right now, I'm really stuck on "Moments I feel Faint" by Relient K, and "He Reigns" in particular by Newsboys. Overall, I've always loved some of Billy Joel's old power ballads (I'm still a hopeless romantic at heart). But my favorite song of all time...almost hate to say it, but Astro Zombies by the Misfits. Oddly enough, that brings back some absolutely wonderful memories of trips with my old youth group when I was really just starting out. And years before I met "HER".

Favorite Christian: Shout To the Lord by Darlene Zschech (forgive me for mispelling!) Because....Jesus gets me excited about life and Him, and His grace, and His glory, and it just makes me want to sing and dance and shout!!!!! Then there is It Is Well, and Blessed Be the Name, and ....well, the list could go on and on.
Non Christian: hmm, Havent listened to much secular music lately, dont remember. Well, how about "Shout" by Tears For Fears? Because I like the beat to it. Oh, and then there's "Shall We Dance?" from The King and I. And then there's Dust in the Wind....is it by the Eagles?
Favorite artist: Kimberly and Alberto Rivera. They have made some awesome music to soak in the Presence of the Lord in!! The Newsboys because I like their energy and love for God.
Hey! This is a great thread!
urock.gif

I would have to say my favorite Christian song is "Praise Adonai" because it gives praise to our Savior.

For non-Christian I would have to go with "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas because it describes our being and also it will be one of the songs played at my funeral service.

My favourite Christian songs would be 'Human Sacrifice' by 'The Seventh Power', i love the fact that the band are upfront and direct with their lyrical style but without being cheesy. Also the riffage is pretty tasty!

And Captain of the Ship by Titanic, awesome tune!

I would highly recommend them to anyone who likes Christian metal. I would also recommend the Christian band Titanic who the singer and guitarist from seventh power is also a member.

Another great Christian rock tune i love is "we fight in white" by Mad Max.. quality tune!

My favoutite Non-Christian song would be

Judas Priest - Painkiller

Simply because musically, it is technically flawless in everyway, the drum intro breaks your bones and the screaming vocals strip the flesh from them (In a nice way though!) The lyrics are also very interesting and quite apocalyptic..

Heres a small selection of verses from the song..

Planets devastated
Mankind's on its knees
A saviour comes from out the skies
In answer to their pleas

Flying high on rapture
Stronger free and brave
Nevermore encaptured
They've been brought back from the grave

With mankind ressurrected
Forever to survive
Returns from Armageddon to the skies

The two guitar solos are off the page as well, mindblowing!

Back