Fewer the Words

Christ had long prayers and probably many short prayers. We are told that Christ 3 times prayed about one hour on the night they took him to be our sacrifice

Mark 14:34-37 (KJV)
And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch. 35 And he (Christ) went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. 37 And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?

I generally pray whatever is on my heart to pray which may be short or long. IMHO I don't think the time spent is as important as heartfelt sincerity and the constant nature of prayer in our lives.

cp

"But as for you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:6 (NASB). Strong's 5009 tells me that the term "your inner room" is literally a secret place, a hidden chamber, or closet. The inner room in the temple was the Holy of Holies. He tells us to go into your inner room, close your door, and pray to your Father. That tells us that He is no longer in a Temple but is in the secret places; my mind, my heart, deeds in the dark.

Another interesting element to this is that Greek 5009 also is synonymous with a storehouse that a person would go to receive distribution (consider Joseph and his brothers during the 7 years of famine).

"But as for you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door, and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:6 (NASB). Strong's 5009 tells me that the term "your inner room" is literally a secret place, a hidden chamber, or closet. The inner room in the temple was the Holy of Holies. He tells us to go into your inner room, close your door, and pray to your Father. That tells us that He is no longer in a Temple but is in the secret places; my mind, my heart, deeds in the dark.

Another interesting element to this is that Greek 5009 also is synonymous with a storehouse that a person would go to receive distribution (consider Joseph and his brothers during the 7 years of famine).

Thanks for this insight. I also think about these things regarding prayer:

The Holy of Holies is also where God dwelt when with Israel his chosen. God dwells now within his chosen today, those that he calls out. When we come to God Paul also tells us to go boldly to the throne of God.

cp

Christ had long prayers and probably many short prayers. We are told that Christ 3 times prayed about one hour on the night they took him to be our sacrifice

And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch. 35 And he (Christ) went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. 36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. 37 And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?

I generally pray whatever is on my heart to pray which may be short or long. IMHO I don't think the time spent is as important as heartfelt sincerity and the constant nature of prayer in our lives.

cp

cp
I agree with you, 100%. Sincerity is much more important than the time we spend in prayer.
And God knows our heart, so we needn't prolong our petitions to Him. He knows them already!

I agree with you, 100%. Sincerity is much more important than the time we spend in prayer.
And God knows our heart, so we needn't prolong our petitions to Him. He knows them already!
"And being in agony, He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground]." Luke 22:44 (NASB) Fervent, in this text would be great intensity of spirit (Dictionary.com). It is biologically possible, science has proven if there was any doubt, that a person can sweat in anguish to a point that blood begins emitting from their pores. As you say, "sincerity" or intensity of our spirit exceeds long and repeating prayers. Jesus said of the Pharisees, in Matthew 6:7 that the Pharisees made long and showy prayers but they did not do it for him but for their recognition - pride worship.

Back