Fighting the Wrong Enemy

Honestly, I personally struggle with this because I am a fixer. I always try to fix issues for myself and everyone around me. It's so hard to stop and realize this and pray in the right way. How do you continuously pray and fight the right way when the pressure is so heavy and the burden is strangling you? I am starting to get better as I am learning more and more about walking in the Spirit in all areas of my life and letting go and leaning on God entirely. Some days are just hard. I have such strong desires spiritually; I am seeking and learning and I truly appreciate everyone on this site and how you pray for each other and respond in such wonderful ways. I find it very uplifting and encouraging. My spirit is so hungry and the more I chat with you the more I desire to know everything I can about God and the holy trinity. I am truly blessed. I thank each of you for your time.

Fighting the Wrong Enemy

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.(Ephesians 6:12)

Peter couldn’t take it anymore. He had watched His Lord’s anguish in the Garden of Gethsemane. He had watched the group of soldiers come to arrest Him. So he took out his sword, took a swing, and removed the ear of the high priest’s servant.

In a way, I understand Peter’s frustration. Had I been in the same situation, I might have done the same thing. We might almost commend Peter for his heroism and bravery. But in reality, Jesus did not do that at all. He told Peter to put the sword away. Poor Peter. He couldn’t seem to get it right. He always seemed to be doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. He was sleeping when he should have been praying. He was talking when he should have been listening. He was boasting when he should have been fearing. Now he was fighting when he should have been surrendering. He always had it turned upside down. You see, Peter failed to see that he was fighting the wrong enemy.

Our enemies are not flesh and blood, the Bible says, but principalities and powers. And they cannot be defeated by ordinary measures. Far too often we take things into our own hands and try to assist God, to sort of help Him out a little. And far too often we do not pull out the most powerful weapon in our arsenal, which is prayer, and use it in these times of battle.

As Christians, we are too quick to protest and not quick enough to pray. We are too quick to picket and not quick enough to preach and focus on what God has primarily called us to do. We need to realize that we are fighting a spiritual battle. Therefore, we need to use spiritual weaponry.

Copyright © 2017 by Harvest Ministries. All rights reserved.

Hi cd,

I know what you mean about trying to fix things. Sometimes we just don't get it that some things can't be fixed (maybe they are not supposed to be because they really aren't broken) or that we aren't the one to fix them. Or we need more preparation or that we need our heart right so we can speak the truth in love.

I had an experience, let's see (counting back) to 1975 or 1976 where I was involved as VP on a Christian Women's fellowship leadership board covering a certain area. I saw something very amiss going on in the attitude of some of the leaders towards one particular local president of one of the city groups (We were overseeing several organizations then). I felt the Lord wanted me to bring this up at a meeting. However, I went into the meeting somewhat angry (after all wasn't Jesus angry when he went against the money changers in the temple? or so I told myself that morning) and I also went with not very much experience in that sort of thing..feeling very righteous but lacking wisdom and self control. In other words I came on correcting them like gangbusters or else somewhat like Peter who rushed in to cut off the Centurions ear as you share above.

Making a long story short..this was not readily received. People became very defensive and angry at me. I ended up resigning but then when I changed my mind they removed me. I was then no longer in leadership. Some years later when we moved to another town I got involved again with the same organization starting from scratch and always praying for wisdom as to how I said anything especially admonishing anyone.

Meanwhile God fixed the situation and came to the help of the woman I mentioned I had originally been defending. And, in time, all of those women came to conviction with out my help. They all apologized to me in their own way and timing the last taking 17 years to do so. I went on and was reinstated in the organization in the same position some years later.

What a long way around that mountain for me! But God worked it out just right in his timing. And now I know to let some things go and to be sure I have my heart right before I step forward with that kind of thing again. No cutting off of their ears. To speak the truth but with love in my heart! And praying a lot first. God can and does use us..in His way and in His timing because he sees the hearts of all involved and always the bigger picture.

blessings,

sandpiper

I have such strong desires spiritually; I am seeking and learning and I truly appreciate everyone on this site and how you pray for each other and respond in such wonderful ways. I find it very uplifting and encouraging. My spirit is so hungry and the more I chat with you the more I desire to know everything I can about God and the holy trinity. I am truly blessed. I thank each of you for your time.
What a long way around that mountain for me! But God worked it out just right in his timing. And now I know to let some things go and to be sure I have my heart right before I step forward with that kind of thing again. No cutting off of their ears. To speak the truth but with love in my heart! And praying a lot first.

I enjoyed reading both your posts. I still occasionally lose it myself, but rarely. And I try to really learn from the lesson. One of the best teachings on this I think is actually James 3:17-18. When we think what we are are about to share is "wisdom from above" and yet the motivation from within is coming from the serpent and is "earthly, soulish, and demonic," it's time to really stop and question the source before speaking out in anger (James 1:13). This I believe is the meaning behind James 1:19-20. "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to wrath. For the wrath of man does not cultivate the righteousness of God."

Back