first church service this morning, scared that i will get it wrong....

U

Unregistered

first church service this morning, scared that i will get it wrong....

Hello thank you for reading this,

I have been to my first Church service this morning that was not for a wedding, baptism, funeral or rememberance service.

I was full of aprehenshion, i am worried that i will get it wrong, i dont know what i am supposed to say and when i should say it. When we arrived at the Church the reader came over and welcomed us, he explainedc that there was a communiion today and that as we are not confirmend that we could go up and be blessed, we did follow everyone else and go up, but i feel like i did it wrong because i didnt say anything, i dont know what i should say, the rest of the service was very well lead and we had a sheet that gave us the words.

I am searching for something in my life, so i went along to church with my fiance who is also searching for god, he seemed to take it in his stide but i feel so overwhelmed that i have come home and cried, i feel like i should know what to do, i feel ashamed and embarressed that i dont.

I have been baptised when i was a baby, but my mum has told me that we were baptised because it was 'the done thing' and we have had very little religous education as mum is not religious.

how do i become a Christian?

how can i learn what is the right thing to do?

thank you for reading this.

hayley

Hello thank you for reading this,

I have been to my first Church service this morning that was not for a wedding, baptism, funeral or rememberance service.

I was full of aprehenshion, i am worried that i will get it wrong, i dont know what i am supposed to say and when i should say it. When we arrived at the Church the reader came over and welcomed us, he explainedc that there was a communiion today and that as we are not confirmend that we could go up and be blessed, we did follow everyone else and go up, but i feel like i did it wrong because i didnt say anything, i dont know what i should say, the rest of the service was very well lead and we had a sheet that gave us the words.

I am searching for something in my life, so i went along to church with my fiance who is also searching for god, he seemed to take it in his stide but i feel so overwhelmed that i have come home and cried, i feel like i should know what to do, i feel ashamed and embarressed that i dont.

I have been baptised when i was a baby, but my mum has told me that we were baptised because it was 'the done thing' and we have had very little religous education as mum is not religious.

how do i become a Christian?

how can i learn what is the right thing to do?

thank you for reading this.

hayley

The quick answer is: Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved; and, Repent and believe the gospel. What is the gospel? Simply put, and to quote Paul: "For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve." (1 Cor. 15:3-5, NIV)

Allow me to go a little deeper, though, and ask you this: Why is it that you want to become a Christian? This will help me understand how I should respond next.

If you believe in Jesus, and you wanted, you should have taken communion.

Believe in the "One" God sent, that is how you become a Christian.

The right thing to do is thinking for yourself and not letting a priest think for you. (I'm just telling my opionion, watching moderators)

This might sound strange, but I'm wondering: Why do you want to know how to become a Christian? That will help me to answer your question.

I was raised Catholic and there were times I didn't know what we were supposed to be doing or saying, but just went along with everyone else.

No one knew but me, so I didn't have to feel embarrassed.

But the best part is God doesn't care that we haven't got everything figured out.

What's important to God is that you are seeking Him!

Talk to your boyfriend and ask him to help you find a way to feel more comfortable. Maybe you can schedule a meeting with the pastor/priest. Explain that you are new to all this.

If you continue to feel terribly uncomfortable you might try a different church.

Do you have any Christian friends? Go to one of them and tell her about your experience and ask for some advice.

In the meantime let me explain what was going on at the time of communion.

Some churches only allow members to take communion, that is why you were offered to received a blessing instead.

(If this was a Catholic church they do a lot of things protestants don't do, like dipping in the Holy Water upon entering the sanctuary and kneeing and genuflecting before being seated. You don't need to worry about that if you are just visiting. They probably won't even notice whether or not you do it. Only the ushers who are supposed to watch so they can give you instructions - like the one that said you could receive a blessing)

When we take communion (also called the Lord's Supper) we are remembering Jesus sacrifice on the cross.

BibleGateway.com - PassageLookup: Luke 22:19-20

After receiving communion people kneel either in their pew seats (or some churches allow them to kneel in the front to silently pray to God). This prayer time is about giving thanks to God for His sacrifice and forgiveness.

I hope this has been helpful.

Ginger

Dear Seeker,
You have how to become a Christian. It is so simple, many miss it. All you have to do is admit you have sinned against God. (We have all sinned against God.) Ask Him to forgive you. Believe Jesus was the son of God and that He died in your place, to pay the price for your sins against God. That He rose from the dead on the third day and now sits on the right hand of the Father, God. Ask God to come and live in your heart so that you may get to know Him personally. Turn from your sinful ways and try to live as God would have you to.
How do you learn what is right and wrong?
By reading the bible and by trying to do those things it tells you to do. (Start with the New Testament.) Try to live your life in the way Jesus lived His life while on the Earth.
Find a real, Holy Ghost filled church and attend regularly. Get involed in various groups in the church, such as bible studies, prayer meetings, etc...
It sounds to me as if you have attended a Catholic church, am I correct? Now don't get me wrong, I am sure there are many Catholics who believe in Jesus, and will go to heaven, but for the most part, the Catholic church is more about rituals and ceremonies than it is about God. That is just my opinion, I am not trying to judge them. I just believe that if you are truly serious about seeking God, you should begin in a 'Christian' church, such as an Assembly of God, or some other non-denominational church that teaches the whole bible, not just the parts that sound good or fit with their doctrine. If you are more a laid back kind of person and you like your services ordered, then by all means try going to a Baptist church or a Nazarene Church. I don't recommend a church that requires you to follow a long set of rules in order to become a member, as these also tend to be more about ritual and ceremony as well.
At any rate, whatever church you choose, you also need to read your bible everyday, and pray to God and ask Him to give you understanding of what you have read. Ask Him to help you to do what He would have you do. And don't let anyone tell you that you have to earn your way into heaven! Salavation is a free gift from God. The price has already been paid by Jesus Christ when He died on the cross. There is nothing you can do that will make you good enough to get into heaven. The only way is through Jesus. But, as a Christian, you will want to be good, and to do good works. This is natural, and good, but it won't buy you any brownie points with God. Just try at first to follow the ten commandments, remembering that even a little white lie is still a lie. And even to look on a person of the opposite sex with lust (meaning you want them in a sexual way) is adultery of the heart. And also hatred, in God's eyes is murder. Forgive those who have done you wrong, just as God has forgiven you your sins. This is so important! You cannot get to heaven if you have unforgiveness in your heart. Ask God to help you in this, He alone is capable of giving you the change of heart necessary to forgive some people.
Well, okay, I hope I haven't confused you or offended you in any way. Know this, there is no 'right' way to 'do' church, and there are no special words that you are suppose to say. Just let it come from your heart, that is what God wants from us. A sincere heart, and a sincere desire to serve Him and love Him. He wants you just as you are, not how you think you should be.
I hope that last part made sense to you.
God bless you and keep you,
Nancy

Back